Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What are you Reading?!

Hey guys so i notice the old thread was kinda dead so i thought would start a fresh one 🙂 

Se feel free to share what you are reading,  what you have read,  what you plan to read, recommendations and your  " to read'  choices!!! 

I'll start!! 😄 

Recently finished reading "Sins of the House of Borgia" by Sarah Bower and it was AMAZING!!! I definitely recommend it  it has to do with the family but about on of the lady's living in their castle helping Lucretia.  its a fictional twist on the history which i love! 

im stuck in that era right now and love the borgia family 

i have a few others on my currenty reading list that involve members of the borgia family as well as during that period in time

and I'm hoping to get a kindle from my bf for christmas.  if not  gonna see if theres a good boxing day deal on it 🙂 

oh and heres my current need to read pile 🙂   if anyone wants to know whats in it let me know 🙂 

image.jpeg

Re: What are you Reading?!

I am currently reading Les Misérables is a French historical novel by Victor Hugo. This is one of the largest and one of the most incredibly deep and interesting books I have read. I have read half of the book, but I am already convinced that it will become one of my favorite stories for my whole life. I also often read poetry that helps me calm down and feel the real power of the literary word. At I learned about Sylvia Plath's poetry, which I read most often lately. Sylvia Plath was a remarkable twentieth century American poet. Her poetry focused on depression, aspects on suicide, death, savage imagery, self-destruction and painful feelings of women.

It's been a while, and I couldn't find a current active thread trying to search. Anyone read any good books lately? After 1917 the movie came out I started reading The Allie by Winston Groom. I'll be honest...I just finished it last week. It took me months. Now in two days I just read The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris, which is going to be made into a movie. That's going to be a hard movie to watch. And up next I have The Outsider by Stephen King. Which might actually be the first Stephen King book I've read.

@SportyGirly125 Ah thank you! I knew there was one. 

You've never read Stephen King, @Samtian? I'm weirdly impressed by that haha. I haven't read The Outsider but love so many of his books. I just finished Erik Larson's The Devil in the White City about the 1893 Chicago World's Fair and one of first modern serial killers. It's a little dark, but beautifully written and really interesting. 

@quspork Haha yeah I haven't. I am interest in the Dark Tower series though. That book sounds good! I'm going to look it up. 

I just started reading this book on Ted Talks (Ted Talks: The Official TED Guide to Public Speaking). I'd love to get better at public speaking and am also writing a speech this year about veganism and how it relates to Christianity to give to a few churches. Excited, but I need help!!

41Mz8jDRq2L__SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I am reading You are a Bada$$: How To Stop Doubting Your Greatness And Start Living An Awesome Life by Jen Sincero. It really changed my prespective on gratitude, love, mindfulness, law of attraction, etc. If everyone read this, I think the world would be a much better place.

Sounds cool! I'd love to check it out. Thanks for letting us know about it. ❤️

Right now I'm reading a handful of books:

1.) No One Belongs Here More Than You by Miranda July. This is a book of short stories and I have to tell you, it is very reminiscent of Eudora Welty. It has this gothic humor to it, and I'm laughing out loud on every page. Very therapeutic!

2.) Moral Disorder and Other Stories by Margaret Atwood. She's my favorite author. This is another set of short stories. I usually prefer novels, but hey, it can be really nice!

3.) The China Study by Dr. Colin Campbell - the most comprehensive study of nutrition ever conducted. This book is a total game-changer. It is amazing, and I recommend everyone read it if they are interested in health, nutrition, living longer, preventing disease, etc.

IMG_5906.JPG

Also, nail of the day: Butter London Champers. 😉

I like reading cookbooks (as well as history and other subjects) and am enjoying "Cook's Science: How to Unlock Flavor in 50 of our Favorite Ingredients." It's a bit technical from time to time but I love how the authors experimented so much with these ingredients to get the best results. Each recipe explains why certain steps are taken too.

cooks-science-book.JPG

That sounds awesome! I'm going to check it out!

@e4stofthesun,I think it's right up your alley since you're such a food lover. That said, it doesn't really get into nutritional aspects much. For info about best ways to choose and cook produce for the most nutrition/taste, I recommend Eating on the Wild Side--it's an excellent resource before heading to a farmers' market too!

eating-wild-book.JPG

This looks familiar. Smiley Wink

I love this book. The Flavour Bible is awesome, too. Thanks, diva...

Sweet! I'm going to enjoy this! Thanks for the rec. I'm adding these both to my goodreads.

If you are into musical legends, read Master of Ceremonies by Joel Grey

The Obelisk Gate by NK Jeminson. She won a Hugo for the first book in the series.

Just finished The Girl with all the Gifts. A good read, but hard to explain without spoilers:)

finished: life after life By Kate Atkinson 

now/Currently reading: The book of Speculation by Erika Swyler

23014670.jpg

This has been on my TBR list for a bit. Are you enjoying it?

sorry for the delay in my response. I didn't end up liking this one as much as I thought I would. 😞 

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos18
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • 20e491b890bb19b9_PS15_Love_2016ReadingChallenge_Pin_List.jpg
  • 47212.jpg
  • 17158976.jpg
  • 18122.jpg
  • 38447.jpg
  • 12262741.jpg
  • eating animals