MzDedeInAz

Weight Problem ?

I went to the doctor last week and she told me I need to be careful with my weight, Now I am 5'9 and weigh 145 and have never really worried bout my weight but now I am. So now I am constantly counting calorie's and freaking out bout it :smileysad: Am I being crazy??

MzDedeInAz

Re: Weight Problem ?

Thank you all so much for the feed back on this :smileyhappy: I am going to get off the crazy train and just start eating healthy :smileyhappy:

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

If you've gained or lost significant weight since last time you saw her, then she might be telling you to slow it down. If by careful she meant you are getting fat/skinny, then ignore it.

sundaespal

(0) Hearts

Stop calorie counting and obsessing. Now. You don't have a weight issue at all, but you could give yourself a weight issue by dieting unnecessarily. People who have been on diets starting at a young age tend to be much heavier than those who haven't. Ask me how I know this! Don't wreck you metabolism by restricting food when there's no need. I wish I could go back in time and slap silly the doctor who put me on a diet at 12 years old even though I was in the healthy range.

sugarluvv

Im 5'6 and weigh 125 lbs.  seriously I dont care about my weight, I eat whatever I want and I didnt gain a pound :smileyhappy:

midnightangel

Yes, you're being crazy...and you should find a new doctor. Your weight is perfectly normal for someone your height.

missrmessner

I've struggled with weight my entire life, partly because I have a thyroid problem, partly because I'm lazy. I'm 5'9" and about 30 lbs heavier than you, but I go to yoga three times a week, am a vegetarian, eat healthy and drink double the amount of water required daily. I consider myself a healthy person, even though I'm technically considered "overweight". I stopped caring about the labels a long time ago and focused on being comfortable in my own skin and living a healthy lifestyle. Don't go crazy with the calorie counting.  You are a perfectly healthy weight! Just focus on maintaining a healthy lifestyle because weight is just a number.

jojobe

I would say your doctor needs to re read the guidelines. While it is important to be a healthy weight, you still want to maintain where you are. I don't see where the problem is unless you are in a pattern of unhealthy eating.  I would find a new doctor if that is the case. 

Urbie

Well, your weight is completely in the healthy range in terms of BMI- that being said, did she specifically say weight or did she maybe mean in terms of physical fitness?  There are plenty of people who are a completely normal weight, but are lacking in physical fitness- me, for example!  You should be getting at the very least 30 minutes of cardio three times a week, and have a healthy percentage of body fat (your doc can help you with this, or some personal trainers).  I wouldn't worry about calories at all, but you can always meet with a nutritionist to talk about how to improve your health through diet and exercise.

jellybean917

When I was in high school, I had a doctor tell me that I needed to watch my weight. I was 5'4" and 125 lbs. That, plus all of my mom's comments (*eye roll*), really distorted my view of myself. I tried to join Weight Watchers with my actually overweight friend, but they turned me away because I didn't need to join.

This doctor is full of it. Healthier choices can always be made, but it's not always linked with weight.

BeautyJunkie325

Were there other factors?  was your blood pressure high or borderline high, is your cholesterol/triglycerides/sugar high?  I could see her being concerned with your weight if there were other areas on the rise as well.  If those others are okay I can't imagine your weight being an issue. 

Nicrohr

I agree that it does not seem at all like you have a weight problem.  

I also wonder your age and if there was some change/reason your doc said this.  All of that being said, I'd be guessing that even a happy person 10 lbs overweight and unstressed has got to have a better life than someone freaking out about a few lbs!  

I will just add that even the published 'medical BMI guidelines' aren't set in stone, nor are they the final word on health.  Many 'heavier' people lead active, healthy lives, and vice-versa for 'naturally skinny people' that are unconcerned with overall health, healthy food, etc.

kalex

I didn't even have to look up the BMI chart to be sure you're at a healthy weight!  Did she maybe mention it because you've gained weight since your last visit or you have a sedentary job?  If it just came out of the blue and you weren't discussing recent changes (new sedentary job, new medication, etc) then definitely find yourself a new doctor.  Either way, she could have been more diplomatic about it.

Londonlover101

heck no honeybun! just like britlee303 said your BMI is totally normal and even ranging on the low side for your height/weight (a BMI is a body mass index calculator or chart) you are beautiful ad yes I agree with the other beauty's unless your doctor specializes in criticizing normal healthy girls to become anorexic I think its time to switch. Other then that just stay healthy, exercise and eat right and only eat treats little and often, I hope this helps also @mikunerd65 as lovely as you look in the first pic I like you better as you are now <3

peace and love,skye <3

Britlee303

145 for a 5' 9" person is completely normal! Your BMI is 21.4 and the range for a normal BMI is 18.5 to 24.9. So not only are you in the normal range but you are right it the middle...it's not like you are right on the upper edge, in which case her comment might be justified. At your height, you do not reach 25 aka the lowest possible BMI in the overweight category until you are 169 pounds. The only problem you have is that you might need to find a new, more reasonable doctor :smileyhappy:

urbandecaybabe

I'm actually pretty concerned that your doctor thinks your weight is an issue. As it is, weight is a very flexible and individual thing. There are healthy fat people and unhealthy thin people. Weight is a very poor indication of one's health. It's not one size fits all. 

My advice is to breathe. Relax a little. If you feel good and healthy, then you shouldn't freak about it. Counting calories is stressful business (at least it was when I did it), and if you have felt fine about your weight, then you should try to maintain a good relationship with food. Despite what they'd like you to think, obsessing over diet and calorie counting is not a healthy relationship with food. Eat well. Exercise, but don't go overboard. Believe you are beautiful. And you are! :smileyhappy:

MikuNerd65

You think you're crazy?...I'm 5'1 & 1/2 and 156lbs. I'm shorter and heavier than you. I think in a persons mind they don't want to be a certain size..like me, I wanna try not to go past 170lbs...I'm already size 10 and don't really want to go overboard on my weight. I want to go back to size 7, now that's a healthy weight for me! Before I moved to Oregon I was a scary size....Its wasn't that I chose it, I just was born underweight...You wanna know what it was? 89 lbs....Yep, scary...But since I moved from Arizona to Oregon, I ate what I wanted, when I wanted, and how I wanted it. Went from a 0, 1, 2, 7, and finally a 10.

Before: 164793_10150154876884377_654839376_8229735_1104582_n.jpg

Currently:

o62ifrEdJ.jpg

Major difference...Honestly, I like it, being healthy and all.

quotidianus

You're pretty much adorable, and so a beautiful addition to Oregon (used to live there, get homesick for it frequently).

MikuNerd65

[ Edited ]

Aw, thank you :3 

Ya I feel you. I miss Arizona too much...Been in Oregon 3-4 years now and and still gotta walk around in rainboots, while some people are in flip-flops...I still don't get that...   -_-' 

quotidianus

(0) Hearts

No, hon, she is being crazypants.  In no world is your height and weight in danger of being considered overweight, even if you have an extremely petite frame.  Perhaps time to find another doctor?

:heart:

jlcjen

Your weight sounds perfect for your height! Being that tall you cannot be rail thin- nor should you be. Why did your Dr think you need to be careful?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 29 hearts
  • 18 in conversation
    • kalex
    • jojobe
    • ChicDabbler
    • BeautyJunkie325
    • Urbie
    • midnightangel