jellybean917

Wedding Dresses

'Tis the season of engagements. That, plus kellsmuneoka's thread about Ridiculous Prices and IllegallyBlonde's Engagement Rings thread, made me start wondering about wedding dresses. If you're married, what was your dress like? If not, what is your dream dress? How much are you willing to spend?

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Although I'm engaged, I haven't even started looking for a dress because we won't start planning the wedding until my fiance moves up here...but that should be happening soon! My research has now begun by watching marathons of Say Yes to the Dress lol.

Anyway, rant and rave away!

1SultrySCENTNut

Re: Wedding Dresses

(0) Hearts

I also had found an elderly lady to hand sew my lace mermaid dress to match and add a few extra details hat I liked from a photo of a $15,000.00 dress....some of the lace was actually done by her hand and not all purchased..I had expected to give her a few thousand and she refused, saying it was her last dress she would ever be making, she took the envelope of money, removed 3 of the $50 dollar bills and slipped the envelope back into the dress box with a very sentimental note on why she was refusing the money...

1SultrySCENTNut

(0) Hearts

Seeing this post ...it just popped back into my head. The place we rented all the men's tuxedo's from also rented all the womens dresses to us for a very reasonable price, fitted perfectly and all...I think we ended up only paying $45 dollars each for the perfect color, design , and personal fit for each of the ladies dresses and the more we rented the cheaper they were...the tailoring was included into the price!

its just something I remember from my wedding, because I couldn't fathom having my ladies pay so much for a dress they may only wear or fit into only once in their lifetime....

bridetobe14

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Our wedding is in October and due to my work schedule and not having a huge budget, I thought I would try the online shopping for the wedding dress. I did a bit of research into it and found a website/place which looked like they were selling designer brands at cost price, which is exactly what I was looking for. I was really impressed with the customer service and thought I had stubbled on to a good thing. I ordered a dress which I had tired on in a bridal store and because all their dresses are labled and explained that they arrive with tags etc I thought I was buying a designer dress at cost price. However when the dressed arrive it was nothing like what was advertised. When I told them I wasn't happy the communication stopped!

So my advice be warned about the online stores. 

Thankfully I have found an even better dress which I am so excited about, yes I had to pay a little more than budget, but worth it!

Happy wedding dress shopping.

ghkim

i had a kenneth poole dress that retailed for 6800. i got something like 12% off. it was pretty bling-y with a split long train. i never thought i'd spend thta much on a dress, but it was a black tie wedding in manhattn and it was fitting for the occasion. congrats on the engagement! and best of luck looking for a dress!

LariTheLoud

[ Edited ]

I wore a Judd Waddell to my wedding in 2011! At the time I wore glasses, had longer hair, and stuck to very natural-looking makeup.

upload_7126638424032805250.jpgupload_735313060217670390.jpgupload_4643212880341020616.jpgupload_1519811679116357236.jpg

BUT I still think the dress suit me perfectly. I loved the lace tiers and the slightly unusual color. It looks quite white in the photos, but it was kind of a peachy-pink with an off-white overlay. 

RandeeBT

[ Edited ]

Wow, that is a beautiful dress, Lari! I love the lace! :heart: Was it a fall wedding? I love the colors of the bridesmaids dresses and bouquets they are holding!

Best,
Randee
LariTheLoud

It was a fall wedding (Nov. 12th to be exact), and we had fall colors! They are my absolute favorite - reds, golds, oranges, browns. Thank you so much, Randee. :smileyhappy: Lace was always what I wanted!

kariyava

[ Edited ]

Gorgeous! (Both you and the dress)

LariTheLoud

Thank you so much, kari!

rebeccahoughton

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

article-2587691-1C86F78E00000578-50_634x1132.jpgI just loved Dannii Minogue's wedding dress. Quite simple yet pretty and stylish.

http://www.danniishop.com/

CzaCee

Whenever I daydream about my future wedding dress, two designers come to my mind.

MARCHESAMarchesa1.jpg

Marchesa2.jpg

FRANCIS LIBIRAN (Filipino Designer)

Libiran1.jpg

Libiran4.jpg

melissabt

Wow amazing, I love the details on the 2nd to last dress.

<3 Melissa
kevinbt

I'm obsessed with that Marchesa dress in the top-left corner! :smileyhappy:

midnightangel

When my last boyfriend & I were discussing our eventual wedding (which was supposed to take place earlier this year), I actually bought a dress to save for the occasion:

DB dress.jpg

The idea was to have a very small, intimate wedding in Hawaii (most likely just him & me) and I thought the shimmery bamboo-like print was perfect for a tropical setting, and I loved the way the chiffon draped. I loved the simple, elegant style too. Nothing poofy or pretentious, no trains to get ruined in the sand. The fit was incredibly flattering too. Almost everything about this dress seemed perfect.

But of course the wedding didn't happen and I returned the dress. That was a unique sort of disappointment that I hope none of you ever have to experience.

It's been a month and a half since we broke up so I was reluctant to even post this because it reminds me of our ill fated plans. :smileysad:

That's life though.

Spyski

I didn't like your post because I like the fact of this but I liked it because you spoke out. Maybe things will mend out between yall in due time? I hope you aren't too saddened, you've always got all of us on BT for support. I think the print on that dress would have went great with the Hawaii idea, very pretty and beachy perfection!

midnightangel

Thanks, Spyski.

Definitely no desire to reconcile with the ex. I'm glad I didn't marry him like I hoped/planned to, but breakups always suck even if they're for the best.

aggiegirl2012

Midnight angel, I'm really sorry to hear that! 

I don't know if this will help or be salt in the wound, but the dress I'm wearing in the post below was not bought for that wedding.

I had an engagement end about two months before I met my now husband. My dress was custom and couldn't be returned or cancelled and came in just after the wedding was called off. 

In the end, everything has worked out for the best. It hurt then, but there were some amazingly cathartic moments on the way back to feeling like myself again. I wish you all the best on this road. XO

midnightangel

(0) Hearts

Thanks, Aggiegirl2012.

Sorry for your loss but glad things worked out for you in the end. :smileyhappy:

aggiegirl2012

image.jpgThen my dress flares out at the bottom. I'm 6' and it fit like a dream. 

lovelykatya

[ Edited ]

that's what my wedding dress looked like, I fell in love with and I still love it!!jasmine-couture-t431-1011.jpg

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 133 replies
  • 185 hearts
  • 54 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • itscarin
    • killahbabe
    • lovelykatya
    • reflectsgold
    • chupi
    • emmaclaire
    • spoiledbrat
    • marydiva
    • stephyd216
    • melissabt
    • lilyyy
    • janinebt
    • ChicDabbler
    • mafan
    • princesskat17
    • ladymeag
    • jammiex33
    • MysticalAngel
    • BeautyJunkie325
    • viviene23
    • Koofa
    • serioustree
    • aggiegirl2012
    • IllegallyBlonde
    • Missie772
    • midnightangel
    • SugaredMagnolia
    • Candy357
    • Spyski
    • Kiki1517
    • CzaCee
    • glossyguru
    • ghkim
    • WhereYouStand
    • jellybean917
    • calamityjane85
    • Greyes
    • bratknits
    • SilveryPink
    • kellsmuneoka
    • missey1973
    • kariyava
    • MGJM
    • lsp2005
    • LindenAnn
    • Carmen241986
    • pipsqueek1582
    • kevinbt
    • LariTheLoud
    • 1SultrySCENTNut
    • RandeeBT
    • rebeccahoughton
    • bridetobe14
Photos60
  • 199925_1019178167179_3048_n.jpg
  • 207521_1019177247156_6875_n.jpg
  • New_England_Nautical_Theme_for_Southern_Wedding_WillettPhotography_occasionsonline_-069.jpg
  • New_England_Nautical_Theme_for_Southern_Wedding_WillettPhotography_occasionsonline_-111.jpg
  • upload_6772960581086549171.jpg
  • lovely.jpg
  • boho.jpg
  • asfd.jpg
  • upload_407119520607931032.jpg
  • upload_1714164648284367080.jpg
  • upload_7566454779436247536.jpg
  • upload_5790774607234684195.jpg
  • cf25dae33c456d57965f66b2b50d104e.jpg
  • ideal.jpg
  • upload_8086713726843531067.jpg