jellybean917

Wedding Dresses

'Tis the season of engagements. That, plus kellsmuneoka's thread about Ridiculous Prices and IllegallyBlonde's Engagement Rings thread, made me start wondering about wedding dresses. If you're married, what was your dress like? If not, what is your dream dress? How much are you willing to spend?

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Although I'm engaged, I haven't even started looking for a dress because we won't start planning the wedding until my fiance moves up here...but that should be happening soon! My research has now begun by watching marathons of Say Yes to the Dress lol.

Anyway, rant and rave away!

marydiva

Re: Wedding Dresses

(0) Hearts

That's lovely :smileyhappy:)

janinebt

I'm not engaged, but I do have the style of my 'future' dress in mind. Sweetheart top with a mermaid style waist or a fit and flare. I really like the look of neo-vintage style gowns. And I'd probably pair my dress with a veil that has laced trim.

Something along the lines of this:

upload_6772960581086549171.jpg

Or if I end up having a smaller ceremony I may opt for something a bit more 'understated' like this:

upload_407119520607931032.jpg

Whimsically yours,
Janine
Kiki1517

Ooooh I love the bottom one :smileyvery-happy:

Kiki1517

If I ever did have a big wedding, I think I want something with a clean silhouette. Here's my pinterest wedding board. I had seen one collage on "Chanel Inspired Wedding" on a wedding planner's board and fell in love with the colors, I would be all over the black & white with touches of pale pink:

www.pinterest DOT com/kiki1517/chanel-inspired-wedding/

upload_1714164648284367080.jpg

upload_7566454779436247536.jpg

reflectsgold

(0) Hearts

love that long sleeved dress. i know strapless is really trendy right now but i want my gown to have sleeves. 

IllegallyBlonde

i love that first one!! simple, elegant vintage styles like that always catch my attention.

marydiva

Gorgeous wedding board, Kiki! I followed you :smileyhappy:

Kiki1517

Thanks, I think BT has taken over my Pinterest time, I need to go dabble around in there lol.

marydiva

I'd love a boho, offbeat wedding dress. Something like these perhaps:

lovely.jpg

boho.jpg

asfd.jpg

I love the delicate, natural, feminine vibe of bohemian wedding dresses. 

BUUUUT I come from a very traditional Roman Catholic italian family, so I'll probably have to have a fancy cathedral wedding someday - so my ACTUAL wedding dress will probably look more "princess-y." 

janinebt

(0) Hearts

Aww I love those! They'd be great for a destination wedding or an outdoor forest wedding (oohh).

Whimsically yours,
Janine
lilyyy

(0) Hearts

I love all of these dresses. They look fun and unique.

Spyski

(0) Hearts

If I had to imagine for the best of both of our worlds, I think a nautical themed southern wedding would nail our personas. I like how casual they look, but also classy. Being I live on the Gulf Coast, this can be a dream come true :smileytongue:

New_England_Nautical_Theme_for_Southern_Wedding_WillettPhotography_occasionsonline_-069.jpgNew_England_Nautical_Theme_for_Southern_Wedding_WillettPhotography_occasionsonline_-111.jpg

LindenAnn

[ Edited ]

I wanted a sleeved old-fashioned looking dress, which made it very difficult at the time (2006). I'm not sure if that would be as hard now, but there was nothing out like that when I was looking. I finally found my dress on a site that sold discontinued styles. Bonus: it was $600! 199925_1019178167179_3048_n.jpg207521_1019177247156_6875_n.jpg

katie1724

(0) Hearts

Lovely dress! Are you a twin?! That's a great picture :smileyhappy:

marydiva

Your dress is lovely! :smileyhappy: It sorta looks like what Kate Middleton wore. Very timeless. 

emmaclaire

(0) Hearts

I'm a Lazaro fan - I want a strapless gown with a sweetheart neckline and a very interesting skirt - I really like the sort of folded tulle style that's becoming somewhat popular.  I also really like crystal belts and off-white colors, like ivory, champagne, or even blush!  I'm not sure how much I'll be willing to spend, it really depends on where I am with my job and financial security.  I would prefer not to spend much more than like 3k, particularly because I love the idea of getting a designer dress for less at places like Vows!

chupi

(0) Hearts

bhldn (dot) com/shop-the-bride-wedding-dresses/

I love looking at these dresses. I've never been married and don't really expect to be, though.

lilyyy

(0) Hearts

Yes! bhldn is adorable! It's Anthropologie's wedding site.

mafan

I got married 12 years ago, so I'm sure prices have gone up.  I think my dress was under $1000 -- I know because it was no more than my veil and I paid about $1000 for an antique Honiton Lace veil.  I bought my veil first and then found a dress that would go with it.

I really didn't want something sleeveless because I don't think that's flattering on me, and that was a bit tough.  I also knew I wanted a sweetheart neckline with a princess waist, having had a dress like that before, but I didn't know if I'd actually find such a thing.  I did -- the dress actually had an off the shoulder sleeve and had my sweetheart neckline and princess waist. (If you have an hourglass figure, you might as well find something that flatters it.  I look terrible in a sheath dress!)  I hadn't expected to have a long train, but this one had a decent sized train.  A very low back was nice to show off the lace of my veil and it was offwhite which also matched the veil.

One piece of advice -- think about what you want in the way of shoes and shoe height in advance.  My dress was measured length, so it came in with the length already fixed and could not be hemmed.  I didn't pick shoes in advance and was stuck with the height I said I'd wear.  My feet hated my shoes so much that there is a classic picture of me with my face in pain and my husband rubbing my feet while I'm sitting practically on the ground (on an old mill stone in front of the mill where we did pictures) with my husband rubbing my feet.  I wore my dress again for a party in the UK and didn't even take those horrible shoes with me!

I'm excited to hear that your fiance will be moving up here soon!

lilyyy

Feel free to disagree with me, but Pnina Tornai dresses are hideous. I feel sorry for the girls that pay upwards of $10,000 to look like a stripper on their wedding day.

SugaredMagnolia

(0) Hearts

She has a second line of less expensive dresses that are less over-the-top and some of them are pretty!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 133 replies
  • 184 hearts
  • 54 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • itscarin
    • killahbabe
    • lovelykatya
    • reflectsgold
    • chupi
    • emmaclaire
    • spoiledbrat
    • marydiva
    • stephyd216
    • melissabt
    • lilyyy
    • janinebt
    • ChicDabbler
    • mafan
    • princesskat17
    • ladymeag
    • jammiex33
    • MysticalAngel
    • BeautyJunkie325
    • viviene23
    • Koofa
    • serioustree
    • aggiegirl2012
    • IllegallyBlonde
    • Missie772
    • midnightangel
    • SugaredMagnolia
    • Candy357
    • Spyski
    • Kiki1517
    • CzaCee
    • glossyguru
    • ghkim
    • WhereYouStand
    • jellybean917
    • calamityjane85
    • Greyes
    • bratknits
    • SilveryPink
    • kellsmuneoka
    • missey1973
    • kariyava
    • MGJM
    • lsp2005
    • LindenAnn
    • Carmen241986
    • pipsqueek1582
    • kevinbt
    • LariTheLoud
    • 1SultrySCENTNut
    • RandeeBT
    • rebeccahoughton
    • bridetobe14
Photos59
  • 199925_1019178167179_3048_n.jpg
  • 207521_1019177247156_6875_n.jpg
  • New_England_Nautical_Theme_for_Southern_Wedding_WillettPhotography_occasionsonline_-069.jpg
  • New_England_Nautical_Theme_for_Southern_Wedding_WillettPhotography_occasionsonline_-111.jpg
  • upload_6772960581086549171.jpg
  • lovely.jpg
  • boho.jpg
  • asfd.jpg
  • upload_407119520607931032.jpg
  • upload_1714164648284367080.jpg
  • upload_7566454779436247536.jpg
  • upload_5790774607234684195.jpg
  • cf25dae33c456d57965f66b2b50d104e.jpg
  • ideal.jpg
  • upload_8086713726843531067.jpg