Water Support Group AKA Soda Pop Anonymous

From the NYE posts I know I am not alone in struggling with beverage addiction. My New Years Resolutions included giving up the Diet Dr. Pepper dragon for good and for good reason! I need to drink more water! Nothing could be better for my skin... when I gave it up for a couple of months before my skin was luminous! I need to break the hold it has on me and, frankly 4+ a day is beyond ridiculous!!! 

Yesterday went well, except when I automatically ordered a soda yesterday without even thinking about it. I quickly switched to unsweetened ice tea. I ended up having 1 cup of coffee, 2 teas and lots of water. I went so far as to putting water in a pop can *ashamed face* but I find the bio-feedback so pleasing! (like e-cigarettes for smokers who need to hold something in their hands I guess?)

If this is one of your resolutions as well, come one, come all! Even if you just want to drink more water & cut back. I am an all or nothing girl and have never done well with moderation. It's time to make this happen! I KNOW I can do lots better with some SUPPORT. If you aren't an addict and want to encourage those of us who are we could certainly use sponsors! I loved reading all the advice from all of you on good reasons to quit and techniques on how to get through! Who's with me? 

Re: Water Support Group AKA Soda Pop Anonymous

I had a summer resolution to cut back on my coffee intake. I'm pleased to say after a few weeks, I'm doing really well! I started at 3 to 4 huge mugs of coffee every day and now I've cut back to 1 small mug in the morning and every other day I'll have another one in the evening. I'm so proud of myself for working to overcome my caffeine addiction! Smiley Very Happy

(0) Hearts

My Doctor changed my headache prevention pill.  I drink water 99% of the time as is, but I do order the occasional soda when I eat out.  Not anymore. The medication makes it taste funny.  Tried three different places to confirm.  Why drink the extra calories (yes, I cannot stand diet soda) when the medication has ruined all of the fun?  My headaches are no less than they were on the other pills either, and I am already on day 12, I believe.  If it is not better by day 30, I will not start the second bottle.

I hate coffee and tea, but I love water.  It has to be soda or water for me.  I guess the pills are a blessing in disguise, right.  Now, I will be 100% water (even at the restaurants that do not have bottled water and have nasty tap water, which are the ones I ordered soda at). I will just add three lemons!

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Good luck! I went cold turkey from my two/three can a day Pepsi habit over three years ago and haven't looked back. It will get better. Now just looking at soda makes me gag. Your taste buds will develop a resistance after a while so things will get better. I found that adding a little Crystal Light to my water helps me drink more water.

(0) Hearts

The summer resolution page made me think of this.

We're almost approaching June... how many people stuck to it? I have! Smiley Happy 

Just checking in with everyone who wanted to drink more water in the new year! How is it going for everyone? I am diet dr. pepper free for one week today. I am sure it doesn't sound like much but for me it is quite and accomplishment. I had lipton energy tea + red goji berry green tea with my lunch and it was tasty! On my 5th serving of water for the day. I hope all of you are doing just as well! 

Congrats!

I know you're going to have a bunch of fun exploring flavored teas!

By chance do you have a World Market by you? They often have sales on their teas and have everything from Asian teas to English teas to yummy blends that are sweet and fruity.

Thank you Lylysa! Your support means a lot since it is certainly a work in progress. We don't have world market but we have whole foods and sprouts, Teavanna and a few specialty tea rooms around the city! You are right- I will just have to keep exploring! The tea today was so good that I didn't even need sweet n low or splenda! Yay to saying bon voyage to artificial sweeteners! 

Youthberry Orange Blossom from Teavanna is soooooo good!

Awesome! I will definitely give that one a try! I love anything orange & berry  so it should be great. I'm excited. Thanks!

(0) Hearts

I love adding a touch of honey to it, it's great hot or iced!

I made it 2 whole days! Only one cup of coffee and lots of water yesterday!! Granted, this is not reality as I am still on break from work-that will be the real test. I still feel accomplished. How is everyone else out there holding up? Hope you're all doing great!!!

Solidarity sister! lol Still going strong as well. My water intake has been fantastic today and I've had no diet-drink cravings. I'm still drinking coffee but I'm going to give myself a few weeks before I start to faze that out. 

(0) Hearts

I am so proud of you Lovinglondon!! That is wonderful news!! I've done ok today in spite of having a monster headache! I have definitely had cravings- mostly at meal time because I love diet dr. pepper while eating! Better to deal with the aches before I go back to work on Monday. I bought myself some of lipton energy tea which I am really excited about....hoping that helps!

soda, pop, coke (even when you need a dr. pepper)! LOL It's represents the cold, caffininated , carbonated beverage that has me in a choke hold!!!

I used to have a ridiculous addiction to Dr. Pepper. Just alternate between your vice and water. Like you can't have a Diet Dr Pepper until you drink equal amounts of water first. That's worked for me. (I'm not going to lie...it took like a year.) Now, I only drink water (tons of it!), a cup of iced green tea, and 1-2 (ok sometimes 3) cups of coffee a day. Now, I save the occasional Dr Pepper drinking for my Captain Morgan Smiley Wink

This is a total side bar, but I'm reading thru these posts, and I can tell where certain people are from based on what they call soda.  Its cute to hear it called pop.

(0) Hearts

In everyday life specifically say "I want a diet dr.pepper" in referring to drinks in general  I use both words "soda pop" and I'm from oklahoma Smiley Happy

Haha, I have Southern roots, so in real life I just call it all "coke."  

I purposely write "soda" but I definitely say "pop." I've spent my whole life trying to correct that. haha.

The office where I used to work would stock soft drinks for us, so I was regularly drinking upwards of 5 cans of Diet Coke (sometimes 8, on a really bad day!) every. single. day.  Having it be free definitely didn't help.  At my current job, I have to finance my own Diet Coke addiction, so I made it a point to cut back.  Funny, it wasn't the health issues that made me cut back, but the money involved.  Cases of Diet Coke in NYC are not cheap!

Now, I only have two cans per day -- one with breakfast and one with lunch.  (The one at breakfast is because I am not a coffee drinker.)  My goal for 2014 is to exchange the breakfast soda with a cup of hot black tea.  That way, I'm down to one a day.  I'm trying to get pregnant as well, so if I am down to one a day before then, giving up the caffeine during pregnancy won't be as hard...I hope.

Drinking enough water is not an issue for me.  I started keeping a 24-ounce water bottle at my desk at work, and I make myself drink a full bottle in the morning and then again in the afternoon.  Done with six cups of water before even making it home in the evening, easy-breezy.  When I go to the gym, I'll go through another 24-ounce bottle, and when I don't go to the gym, I still usually have another 2-3 cups of water in the evening.  Flavored seltzer is great (shout out to all the other Pellegrino grapefruit fans!), and sometimes I'll use Crystal Light to turn a pitcher of water into lemonade or something, but mostly I just drink plain water.  I definitely notice a difference on days when I'm traveling/out of my normal routine and end up drinking less, which helps me to remember to keep drinking!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
Photos1
  • 1524746_10151976433774003_153745131_n.jpg