bombshell30

Water Support Group AKA Soda Pop Anonymous

From the NYE posts I know I am not alone in struggling with beverage addiction. My New Years Resolutions included giving up the Diet Dr. Pepper dragon for good and for good reason! I need to drink more water! Nothing could be better for my skin... when I gave it up for a couple of months before my skin was luminous! I need to break the hold it has on me and, frankly 4+ a day is beyond ridiculous!!! 

Yesterday went well, except when I automatically ordered a soda yesterday without even thinking about it. I quickly switched to unsweetened ice tea. I ended up having 1 cup of coffee, 2 teas and lots of water. I went so far as to putting water in a pop can *ashamed face* but I find the bio-feedback so pleasing! (like e-cigarettes for smokers who need to hold something in their hands I guess?)

If this is one of your resolutions as well, come one, come all! Even if you just want to drink more water & cut back. I am an all or nothing girl and have never done well with moderation. It's time to make this happen! I KNOW I can do lots better with some SUPPORT. If you aren't an addict and want to encourage those of us who are we could certainly use sponsors! I loved reading all the advice from all of you on good reasons to quit and techniques on how to get through! Who's with me? 

LCResz

Re: Water Support Group AKA Soda Pop Anonymous

That is terrible science, if anything your body has to exert work to warm the ice water at 0 degrees Celsius up to 37 degrees Celsius. But this isn't that difficult at it seems because your body has to maintain its homeostatic 37 degrees Celsius regardless of what you eat or drink, that's our basal metabolism at work.

Drinking cold water is honestly negligible when you think that it is heating up the moment it hits our mouths, that water isn't near ice cold by the time it hits your stomach,  and by the time it enters your small intestine, where the bulk of digestion occurs, it's been warmed up to body temperature, so it won't paralyze digestion or anything like that. I spend most of my teaching career dispelling all the myths purported by the internet. I miss when people actually read books that were vetted by scrupulous editors.

makeupmaven

I probably wasn't very specific, but I've also read this in ayurvedic recommendations (article on mapi dot com, "Eating Right, the Ayurvedic Way"). Not saying that this article means that it is good science, but I do trust ayurveda. I've also found that this works for me. But don't get me wrong, if I am taking a supplement than I do have a little cold water after a meal with the supplement.

Let me know if you have more info disputing the below, otherwise I think I'll stick with it since it's working for me!

From the article listed above:

The next ayurvedic recommendation also addresses agni. Ayurveda recommends avoiding cold drinks at meals and ice cold foods in general. This is like putting cold water on the burning logs. Iced water, normally served at restaurants, extinguishes the digestive fire. Even juice or milk right out of the refrigerator is too cold for the digestion. Juice should be taken at room temperature and water without ice.

Recommendations for creating balanced digestion may vary depending on your specific dosha balance. For example, excess acidity may require different ayurvedic recommendations, than for bloating or sluggish digestion.

Once you get into this habit of drinking beverages at room temperature you will notice a dramatic improvement in your digestion and the way your body feels while eating and after the meal. Cold drinks and foods mixed with warm cooked foods can cause stomach cramps, bloating and general discomfort in the stomach area. If you have a pitta imbalance you can take cool drinks in-between meals. Cold or frozen foods are not recommended for pitta either because even though they may temporarily cool down the heat, the agni is still being over stimulated and the imbalance will continue. Try slightly cool drinks made with Organic Rose Water, or milk blended with dates or fresh mangos.

LCResz

Interesting, I have no knowledge of Ayurveda eating or drinking practices, and I am glad it works for you. From a purely scientific standpoint, this information seems to sidestep the concept of basal metabolic function, otherwise how could we as a species be able to survive in such extreme temperature climates from the Artiic to the desert? Are people in Alaska boiling their drinking water to continental American standard room temeperatures? What would that even mean? Or are people in the Sahara dropping ice into their water to make sure it is not too hot?

I dunno, I am probably overthinking things, and I hope you don't think I am dismissing your beliefs in any way. In fact, that's why most things work, because we believe in them. The power of the mind over our well-being is going to trump facts and figures if we believe something is true. Faith can overcome a formula most of the time :smileyvery-happy: 

lylysa

I love how we're all bringing such varied pieces of knowledge and practice to the table!

Seeing Makeupmaven's original post struck a chord with me and my original response because growing up in an Asian household/family, it was always hot/warm tea or warm/room temperature water around. I never thought to question it as a child, but when I began looking into it the idea of fats/oils being broken down with warmer temperatures and not cold drinks came up constantly during researching. Granted I know once something is internal and ingested that's a whole different story, but more digging has lead me to find various reasonings for favoring warm/hot drinks from the need to boil tap water in more rural parts of China to ensure water was safe to drink to bringing one to slow down and not rush while taking a drink (warm drinks will make you sip and wait rather than just want to pour everything down or take a giant gulp) bringing less "shock" or "stress" to the body.

I'm sure there's quite a bit of cultural history/habits that tie into even information stemming from wives' tales, but to this day my family always orders a pot of warm water with their hot tea and doesn't really touch iced water when eating at restaurants.

makeupmaven

[ Edited ]

Yeah, for another topic I don't know a ton about, I'm sure this idea aligns with Traditional Chinese Medicine. The more that I think about it (not scientifically but rather more anecdotally), I think the problem is the ice. Not that I never have a cocktail with a meal (or drink cold smoothies for that matter), but I have found my digestion to be better since not drinking anything ice-cold with meals.

makeupmaven

I'm not too familiar with it myself except for the practices I do, and they all seem to work for their desired purpose (as you mentioned, could be the placebo affect) at least for me!

lylysa

Yeah, I wouldn't doubt the touches on the placebo affect. All I know is that I'm quick to feel cold so drinking iced water is a sure fire way to chill me to the bones! Room temperature is good for me! (There's not always a blanket handy :smileytongue:)

emmaclaire

Thank you for this information and for working hard to correct faux facts that float around online!  It's really helpful to have someone who is willing to explain why a theory is incorrect!

lylysa

I'm not saying that the information of what I commented with is an exact science and I am grateful for you posting follow up information. :smileyhappy:

LCResz

It's one of my many pet peeves about the internet, how easily people will follow someone else's assertions as fact and run with it instead of doing research. And you know what? Maybe my science is wrong! Maybe I am not taking all factors into account when analyzing the statements made and I welcome a good scientific debate :smileyhappy:

All I am trying to say is that drinking cold or hot water will not affect you a great deal in the long run, unless you have sensitive teeth or something. Like that where keeping things at a comfortable temperature is key to your overall well being :smileyhappy:

lylysa

True that! Keeping things to a happy medium in comfortable beverage temperatures is important.

I hate when I get tea or hot drinks that are TOO hot...not only do I burn my tongue but then I end up forgetting about my drink in the "wait for it to cool down" time...then I realize "Doh! I had tea!" and then it's cold :-/

What gets me is that many times cold drinks/those served with ice are barely filled at restaurants. The glass is so full of ice that you end up drinking all the liquid in a few gulps or slurps, and if it's not free refills, they can add up!

jojobe

That is why I get plain tea when we go out to eat with no ice. When you drink with your meal it forces the food to your stomach instead of it going down slowly to our stomach. The other thing is if you fill up on liquid you cannot get all the nutrients in your meal because you are too full or leads to feeling overful when you should not be. Granted sometimes food may be dry and you need to swish it down. I do not allow beverages at our dinner table. I serve enough vegtables that are full of water with the meal and my kids have to eat those. Occasionally if it is too spicy they can get some water or juice. I do find I will drink more if I have a straw. For some reason those tumbler cups with straws are so cute, I do find myself reaching for them more. Also try infusing your water with raspberries or mint, lemon or such.  if you need a little sweet add some monk fruit in the raw . 

LCResz

(0) Hearts

I had this really long response, but I know I am becoming pedantic and getting into a whole thing about peristalsis and how digestion actually works is completely beyond the scope of BT. I am glad that you and your family make the time to eat together at the dinner table, that is worth more than all the scientific mumbo jumbo I could ever spew out <3

veronika23

Not sure about temperature but I did hear a few times that drinking anything and eating at the same time is bad for you.  Can't remember why though. lol :smileyvery-happy:

Love reading what everyone thinks though :smileyhappy:

LCResz

[ Edited ]

Another myth I will happily bust :smileywink: Water is ESSENTIAL for the proper functioning of your digestion, and unless you drink gallons of water with every meal you run no risk of diluting your digestive enzymes or anything like that. In fact, the more watery your chyme (the technical term for the liquidy stuff that goes from your stomach to your small intestines for full digestion) the EASIER it is for your enzymes to come into contact with every food particle. If not liquidy enough the harder it is for everything to travel through your whole intestinal tract (pun intended). Also, keep in mind most of our vitamins are water-soluble meaning that unless dissolved in water we cannot absorb them, so all the more reason to stay hydrated :smileyvery-happy: 

bombshell30

(0) Hearts

Hooray for H2o!!!!!!!!!! :smileyvery-happy:

veronika23

Oh thanks for the info! :smileyhappy:

bombshell30

Cool! I'd not heard that before! Thanks for sharing!

lylysa

I've totally come across information in the same lines as this. Fatty foods/greasy foods don't get broken down as easily with cold drinks (think of trying to clean a pot/pan with oil on it with icy cold water...not going to get anywhere), but drinking something warm will help break down and process things better (hello warm water on a greasy pan).

This is a big part of why hot/warm tea is usually served with meals at Asian restaurants. It aids in digestion and ensures you're not just "icing" the fats being consumed to make them stay in your system longer.

bombshell30

Too cool! Makes perfect sense!

lovinglondon

I am trying to kick this addiction too. 2014 is the year of change - mind, body, and soul. 

What works best for me is quitting something cold turkey. So far I've gone for a diet coke twice for the new year but each time I've put it down and had water instead. I've also started drinking water whether I feel for it or not . Every time I pass the kitchen I stop and down a glass of water - giving my body enough time to absorb and process the water of course. I'm hoping this will help me with my overall healthy lifestyle changes. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 106 replies
  • 166 hearts
  • 27 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • kalex
    • lovinglondon
    • DTalksAll
    • killahbabe
    • chupi