SallieSunshine

Washing my face at the sink: am I doing it wrong?

Confession: I have never been able to wash my face in the sink without making a mess. Water gets all over the counter (and everything on the counter), drips down my arms and off my elbows, goes down my shirt, and soaks the front of my hair. I am not exaggerating.

As a result, I have almost exclusively reserved face washing for the shower. But now that I'm trying to take better care of my skin (and wash my face twice a day), the "in the shower" thing doesn't cut it.

What am I doing wrong?! Why am I such a mess? Does this happen to anyone else, and have you found any ways to stop the flooding?

beauty4ashes

Re: Washing my face at the sink: am I doing it wrong?

Sounds like you're doing it right!

Have you ever seen those commercials where they grab handfuls of water & just splash it on there faces & behind them? :smileyvery-happy:

I have to stand on a dry hand towel, & I have to wipe down my sink area with a paper towel. My sink counter & floor looks like I washed a dog in it & he shook his fur to get the water off!

MikuNerd65

don't worry I'm a mess too. What helps me is that I have a headband only for face washing and get my hair outta of the way...then use a rubber band only for the washing...that way my hair is not wet. Ya, sure it still gets on the floor and stuff like that but I can't help it! >.< ....hope that helps with the hair.

rosesandviolets

I just did a search on line on how to wash my face in the sink, thinking I was the only one who had trouble with it.   I can't believe that I found some others with this problem who are also trying to find a good solution.

We actually turn out to be a community of challenged sink face-washers!!  :-)    Who would have known?!

All of your posts have been so helpful.  Thanks! 

(I'm trying to figure out how to do an obtuse triange with my arms since my sink is so tall.  Maybe I'll stand on a little stool I have.

malday

If I wash my face at the sink I make sure to put a small towel on the sink and use a terry cloth headband/ wrap to cut down on the mess. Also I try to keep whatever I'm drying my face with within arms reach so I can grab it quickly before water drips all over the place haha.

kssweetheart

It seems like such a silly thing, but at least you now know that you're not alone. Hate using my Clarisonic at the sink but it can't be avoided sometimes. I always put a washcloth or hand towel 'Bib' on. L shape arms like *ireneh* said. Hand towel across front of the sink. Shake excess water off of Clarisonic,and/or holding it vertically with the brush head on top so water will leak out. Wipe off with a nice thick washcloth and then bend to carefully cup hands and gently splash face with water. I often go over my face again with another washcloth or I thoroughly rinse the first one...okay, I aspire to using the same, thoroughly rinsed washcloth...but honestly, 79.37% of the time I'm just grabbing a new washcloth, so lazy. I'll have to read the other posts later and see if I can get any other tips. Great thread!!!

MissB417

I've made an art out of washing my face over the bathtub, using my shower head on the lowest setting as a face rinser.

If I have on full make-up. I take off what I can with a microfiber towel, wipies and Ponds so I'll have minimal crap dripping all over the bathroom. I also have several old tees that I wear specifically for makeup removal/application-so I won't get mad about accidental stains.

Side Story-This morning my sweet little dog jumped in my lap as I was layering ponds around my mouth area. Her head bashed against my jaw-and now I know what Ponds tastes like.

kssweetheart

Yuck!! It's a good thing we love our pets so fiercely and deeply. If it makes you feel any better... My dog got me right on the kisser. As I was talking, Mouth somewhat open. Gag me with a steak knife. Barfing my guts out. Need massive amounts of alcohol. (and not really thinking of the rubbing variety) Margarita or Kamikaze, rinse, repeat, drink, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat. Obviously, some of this 'repeating' was done in an effort to rid my mind of this horrible incident. :smileytongue:

Hope not too much of an over-share. Ever try Philosophy Hope in a Jar? I love Philosophy products. (Oh lord, Philosophy Guru Salt Scrub, sheer heaven) Anyhow, I didn't even have to get it in my mouth to know what it tastes like, it smells like wet-dog and I can totally taste it. Like the product. Don't like smelling like a wet-dog.

Gee, Your Hair Smells Terrific!! Gee, Your Face Smells Disgusting!!!!!

Anyone else have this issue? It's a hugely popular item. I just can't get past that and I've tried it more than once. Is it just me?

ireneh

[ Edited ]

Hahaha I love this thread

Behold, ladies! I have found the way to avoid the "water dripping down my arms" problem.

Angle your arms down toward the sink. So instead of making an "L" shape with your forearm+arm, make an obtuse angle. That way, any excess water that you acquire on your arms should just drip down back to the sink. Other tips that help: Keep your face as close to the sink as you can (will also help with making the obtuse angle with your arms) If you are too tall for your sink or if your sink is particularly low, take an extra step back, THEN bend forward. Remember to keep your core engaged to avoid stressing out your back, of course :smileyhappy:

Hope that helps!

kssweetheart

Great thread. Incredibly great answer. Especially 'back step' for tall girls, not an issue for me. Terrific detail.

Heatoyos1

I totally have this problem, too! My boyfriend gets really mad because it drips down the wooden cabinets and pools on the floor. The water also pools on the narrow strip of counter between the sink and the edge of the counter. Leaning against the counter tops gets my shirt wet, raawr!!

Glad I'm not alone. I get everything wet: that's why I'm a terrible roommate and person to share a hotel room with. It was the worst when I was staying in cute little Japanese hotels which were tiny and had shallow sinks. :/

BeautyJunkie325

I pull my hair back in a ponytail when I wash my face.  I use my clarisonic, Boscia sponge or silicon pad to wash my face and then wipe off the soap with a thoroughly wet washcloth. 

I bought these for my niece for Xmas because she doesn't like water dripping down her arms.  They are called drip knots and I saw them on the Today Show. 

image.jpg

swanbeauty

Ah!!  I don't use the sink to wash for exactly this reason!!  I HATE the feeling of the water dripping down my arms.  Ack!  So, now I am like Kittichick, and I use face wipes to remove my face makeup, and Mac's Pro Eye Makeup remover (Which is the most AMAZING eye remover ever made) with a q-tip.  Then I use a cotton pad to use my non alcoholic toner to tone and to be sure I've gotten everything.  Voila!  No messy sink!  

kittichick

Thank you SallieSunshine for starting this thread and thank you to everyone who responded!

My entire life I thought i was a freak for not being able to wash my face in the sink without making a huge mess! The water runs down my arms like crazy, so it gets all over my front and the counter. But it's not just me!!

My Mom wasn't into beauty stuff at all and so I've had to figure everything out on my own - and I know I've had big knowledge gaps. But I was too embarrassed to admit that I (thought) I didn't know how to properly wash my face in the sink, so I never asked for help.

I did the same as you, reserving washing my face for the shower, for a long long time. Now I'm paying the price for those years of neglect. In recent years I discovered facial cleansing cloths and I adore them!! I use those at night to get my makeup off and generally cleanse. If I do anything in the sink, it's only a couple times per week when I do a mask or Exfolikate. I don't seem to have as much of a problem with making a mess with those. I'm going to take some of the tips here to make it better.

SallieSunshine

You are very welcome! Thanks to all the people who responded and 1) gave great feedback and 2) made me feel like I'm not failing at some obvious thing! I'm definitely adopting some of these tips. The non paper towels sound like a great idea. I love the dual use ("washing" off cleanser and then drying the sink) and that they won't be a mildew risk like saturated washcloths or hand towels in the hamper. And the wrist bands. I'm going to feel ridiculous, but I'd rather that than feel water drip down my arms and off my elbows <shudder>. 

shyvicki

Glad I'm not the only one. Seems like I get more water on the counter than my face. Thank goodness for makeup remover wipes.

sephoramusthave

That happens to me too. I try to get my face as close to the sink as possible and rinse carefully. But no biggie.....clean face is worth the water around sink area. Plus I always grab a rag and mop up the damage lol.

DTalksAll

[ Edited ]

I avoid washing my face in the shower. Conditioner always ends up running down my face so I still need to clean my face when I get out & the water is way too hot for face washing! 

I usually don't make too much of a mess when I wash my face but I guess it depends on your sink hight. I wet my face, put on cleanser, massage it in, then gently wipe it off with a warm (not hot) damp muslin cloth, and finally gently splash it with some warm water. Lean your face down into the sink, as if you're trying to look down the drain, cup your hands together and and gently throw? toss? bring to face. It will drip down my arms a bit, but I don't put body moisturizer until I'm ready to leave the bathroom. Body products are too heavy to put near my face. I usually comb my hair & put it up in a bun, wash my hands, then wash my face, toner, serum, moisturizer... then put on body lotion. 

SallieSunshine

(0) Hearts

Yeah, I worry about the shower water being too hot. I've tried doing my face last. I turn the water temp down to rinse my conditioner, then wash my face. But it's getting harder to turn the temp down enough as it gets colder!

midnightangel

lmao ShinyMagpie has it spot on. :smileywink:

There is no way to wash up at the sink and not get water everywhere, but in my opinion that's part of the fun of it. My mother used to say it looked like a duck had been splashing around in the sink after I'd used it. lol

I just clean the whole area up with a towel afterwards (not the same one I use on my face of course).

If you need further inspiration, watch the washing up segment from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. The song that goes with it is perfect. :smileywink:

SallieSunshine

(0) Hearts

At least from now on I'll think of this thread when I wash my face - and all the other BTers who are flooding their own bathrooms around the same time!  :smileywink:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 59 replies
  • 181 hearts
  • 34 in conversation
    • kalex
    • DTalksAll
    • sephoramusthave
    • shyvicki
    • malday
    • marydiva