infinitise

Very off topic - but best laptop?

Hey Beauties, 

I know this is super off topic, but I need help deciding on a laptop.

I personally don't think SAs at Best buy are the most objective people... 

I've been using Samsung for a while, and I have no problem with it like I've heard people do with Dell... I did have problem with Sony though.. it's pretty but didn't last. 

I don't know if I want to continue getting Samsung or Switch to apple. 

I've also heard about the google chrome book that Samsung has..

What do you guys think? 

I know Apple is super popular with their laptop but I'm wondering if its just the "trend", design and marketing that draws people in...

What might be some pros and cons of both apple and other companys' laptops

katie1724

Re: Very off topic - but best laptop?

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I'm definitely biased toward Apple, but for good reason -- before my last two (Apple) laptops, I had an IBM and a Dell, both of which had persistent issues (either hardware or virus related). I had my first MacBook for three years before I got a new one (and it still works, despite having spilled diet coke in it). I have also had my second MacBook (Pro) for around three years, and, despite another unfortunate accident involving red wine (never again!), it functions just as well as they day I got it with no issues. I also use an iMac at work, and, having used PCs at other offices, I will say these are so much easier to use. Before I bought my first MacBook, I thought it would be difficult to get used to the operating system, etc., but it took me a few hours, and that was it (I can still sit down at a PC and use it without confusion, though). The difference is that I've never had one problem with any Apple I've had, but with the others, I did. I had the same experience with my iPhone 4 -- I dropped it into water not once but twice (!!) and it was fine -- I had the phone for two and a half years without ever having to get it serviced. (My Blackberry, on the other hand -- I must have gone through fifteen of them during the span of my contracts.) I'm loyal to Apple now, but it's definitely because of my experience, not the hype. They are always more expensive, but worth the investment due to how long they last. I always recommend buying Apple Care, too -- it costs around $300 for a computer and I've never had to use it, but for peace of mind, I think it's worth it (…it doesn't cover liquid damage, unlike Apple Care for the iPhone). You don't have to get it at the same time as the computer, though -- it can be bought up to a year after the initial purchase. 

infinitise

(0) Hearts

Thank you so much for your opinion!! 

love the details!! 

I've never used an HP, DELL, asus, toshiba, etc brands before.. just Sony and Samsung 

Sony just screwed on me.. but all the Samsung ones have lasted me a long time.. the one that's 7 yrs old I think still works great.. but I was looking into a laptop just because I want something lighter and easier to manage 

It doesn't get nearly as many viruses as the Sony one, but I did have a spyware before that screwed up my bankaccount :smileysad: 

I feel like if I make the transition from all Samsung (phone, tablet, and laptop) to an Apple computer, I think my next contract with verizon has to be with iphone lol 

didn't know that the devices were "connected" in the sense that if you take a picture from iphone, its uploaded into other apple devices. That and the fact that its safer from viruses is a huge plus... 

Do you know if macbook air is as good as the pro? I like how light and chic the air is, but I don't want to lose anything :smileysad:

mandark

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I got a Macbook air in 2011 b/c I had to carry it to class every day and carrying my old 6 lb HP laptop + books was murdering my back. I had never owned a mac before/barely used one and was actually going to wipe it and put windows on it....until I used it. I am now an apple person It's expensive, but they last a long time (my 2 yr +  old laptop is faster than my parent's PCs and theirs are about a yr old), they look nice, you don't have to worry about being overly technical with problems/replacing parts, and a laptop that weighs ~2 lbs is awesome. Most devices now are mac compatible (even if they don't explicitly say it, check the back of the packaging) and most softwares with the exception of computer games are mac compatible

infinitise

(0) Hearts

Thank you so much for your opinion! 

I was actually wondering about the air. I feel like pro is the standard and everyone has pro.. 

but I for some reason was more attracted to the air.. but didn't know if I'd be losing any specifics or quality :smileysad: 

I couldn't agree with you more on textbooks and laptop murdering your back... I honestly feel like it made my scoliosis worse. 

DTalksAll

I was sick of my HP laptops crashing and giving me headaches after 2 years. I swear it's like they put a chip in the computer that they start to go all wonky at the 2 year mark (of course a few days AFTER warranty). So I said when my next computer dies I will get an apple. That happened last January and I'm so happy I made the switch. 

I got a 15" Retina Macbook Pro (RMBP) & am so happy with it. I was nervous at first with learning all the new commands and how much different it was from a windows computer, but I got the hang of it quickly. 

Everything that's on my iPhone & iPad I have on my computer, including iMessage. I'm more efficient with work and everything syncs seamlessly through all my devices. The retina display is awesome for picture editing and watching movies. I haven't had any issues with crashes, viruses, glitches... 

infinitise

(0) Hearts

Thank you so much for your advice!

I think I'm sold on Apple now.. I personally am not the biggest fan of iphones, but now I see why people love the laptops from Apple. 

I don't like how Tim Cook plays the game, but I don't think any other laptops could be so convenient.. especially for women not having to worry about viruses and tech problems are a huge plus! 

kittichick

Hey there!

I've very recently been through this very issue and so I did a lot of research. I'm very tech friendly and my bf is a professional techie, so I'm confident in the info I have.

Apples, although they are def trendy, are expensive for a reason. They are exceptionally solid, well-made machines. I always had Macs until 2008, when I decided I just couldn't afford them anymore. The first Mac I bought was in 1995 and it was STILL RUNNING when I finally trashed it 15 (!!) years later. None of my Apples ever broke, they just became too out-of-date to be usable. Apple knows what they're doing. You DO have the issue of whether peripherals (printers, etc) and software are Mac-compatible, but that's become less of an issue over the past several years. They're also quite a bit less vulnerable to malware (spyware, viruses, etc) because most malware is written for Windows. If you can afford one and you aren't concerned about the compatibility thing (yes, Microsoft Office has Mac versions), I would recommend one.

Chromebooks are their own thing -they're not conventional laptops. They have minimal resources (low RAM, low-speed chips, etc) because they're intended to mostly be used for web browsing. They do NOT run Windows, so they can't run Microsoft Office, although they do have apps that can view MS Office documents. That's why they're so inexpensive. They can be great as an alternative to a tablet, but not as your main computer.

As for regular laptops (that run Windows), there aren't a lot of brands that are always great. Alan (the techie bf) says that he and his tech buddies used to call Lenovos "Le-No-Gos" because they always failed. Asus is a very highly-regarded brand, but I often hear them compared to Jaguars in that they're super sleek and run like crazy - as soon as you figure out and fix whatever its glitch happens to have. Dell has a decent reputation, although my personal experience with them has been not great. The machine that I'm replacing is a Dell and its had multiple parts fail. Neither of us have much experience with Samsung laptops (just phones and TVs - they're famous for having the best screens, btw.) Alan is a fan of Acer; he says they're good machines and you get a lot of bang for your buck. I've heard a lot of good things about Toshiba. I have a friend who is still running a Toshiba laptop that's nearly a decade old! 

If you want to avoid Windows 8, HP has come out with a new line that all have Windows 7. HP also has a decent rep, but it seems like they're always in the middle when being reviewed. They're rarely the best and rarely the worst. Keep in mind, though, that if you do get a machine with Windows 8, you really need to have a touchscreen. Technically, you don't HAVE to have one, but it would be a massive pain in the booty if you don't. Similarly, if you get Windows 7, a touchscreen would be pointless.

Then there are the hybrids- machines that can be a laptop or a tablet. But I think I read somewhere in here that you already have a tablet, so there's probably no point in one of those. :smileyhappy: 

If you want to feel confident in the particular model you buy, look up reviews for it. CNET is pretty good for that. I can't really recommend a particular model, though, because I don't know what you want to get out of it. If you want something super speedy, go for an SSD hard drive (pricey) and I really really recommend the most recent generation of Intel chips (4th generation, nicknamed "Haswell") since they're not just quicker but are much better for your battery life.

I hope that wasn't too much information! And I hope at least some of it helps. :smileyhappy:

infinitise

Omgsh you are amazing 

Thank you so much!! this couldn't be anymore helpful!!!

I have never used anything else than Samsung and Sony (which I just didn't.. work ..) just because my dad works as an engineer at Samsung and just being Korean :smileyhappy: 

I do like Samsung products, they're very durable, functional and never has problems, they don't have the kind of service that Apple has in US.

I didn't know about the windows 8 actually! (mine is still windows 7.. (5~7 yrs old) so if I wanted to continue getting PC laptops,. my only option would be the Lenovo which almost looks too high tech to last in my personal opinion :smileysad: 

I actually have a tab open for CNET to read about my narrowed down option! 

Thank you so much I couldn't ask for more 

kittichick

(0) Hearts

Awesome! I'm so glad I could help. :smileyhappy:

ChicDabbler

I hate windows 8 with a passion. It's ironic that I work in the tech field but balk at change (for the most part). I don't understand why the drastic change for the interface, altho I think I just have to deal with it since it's probably here to stay. =(

kittichick

(0) Hearts

It's all about the mobile devices with touch screens. It's clearly the direction in which consumer devices are heading, which is why I figured I'd better get used to it. Unfortunately, as is their tradition, Windows put out their crappy version before they figured it all out. It's the newest Vista. :smileytongue:

ladymeag

We're a two-tech-employee household and I approve this message. :smileyhappy: 

Another benefit to Apple computers: the ability to buy Apple care and just walk it in to an Apple store and have them fix it or replace it. The majority of the tech employers I've dealt with in the last decade or so issue Apple laptops - Air, Pro, anything that comes with an aluminum body. To me, that says something about how easy they are to use, how powerful they can be, how hardy they are, and the value for the money spent. Most tech employers don't provide desk phones to their employees because "everyone has a cell phone" and you'll have email/IM through a company supplied laptop why should they pay for a phone line; they don't tend to throw away money on equipment that just looks good, you know? 

On the Toshiba front, I just had a personal-use Toshiba Satellite (something I bought for $250-$300) finally quit on me. After seven years of hard labor and being battered by life with small kids (no matter how much you watch your kids, if you use the computer in their presence, it will see water, hummus, the few accidental knocks off of the table, and a few "hey, that button lights up, what happens when I push it" incidents.) 

My spouse has had a few ASUS laptops in the last decade-ish and I'd agree on "find the quirk, then they run fine for the most part." If they aren't a lemon, though. 

kittichick

"We're a two-tech-employee household and I approve this message."

This line made me happy. :smileyvery-happy:

sephoralovex

Switch to Apple. I did about a year and a half ago and never want to go back to any other laptop brands! It really is the best with everything. When I had other laptop brands, I found myself buying a new one almost every year and they were not cheap either. Eventually all that money added up and was basically wasted. My friend has had his MacBook Pro for over 5 years now and never has had a problem. He plays games, watches movies, photoshop, everything you can think of and it still works as if it was new from day one.

infinitise

(0) Hearts

Thank you for your opinion! 

I don't know why I haven't considered actually switiching to apple before, but I'm sold 

didn't think apple was this popular actually to be honest

katie1724

I am the same way -- using any other brand now seems inconceivable! :smileyhappy:

Britlee303

SWITCH TO APPLE! Seriously. I had an HP for just over 2 years and I swear I had problems with that thing every single month. Luckily my dad is an engineer and he was able to help me with most of the problems, but it was not user friendly at all. I had to replace the battery twice in 2 years, which was just plain ridiculous. Then one day it just completely crashed out of the blue with no warning signs that anything was wrong and there was nothing they could do to fix it. I have now had my Macbook Pro for almost 2 years and I am a complete Apple convert (I never owned a single Apple product aside from an iPod before that...I have since acquired an iPad and iPhone as well and I love them all!). In nearly 2 years I have had a problem with it exactly 1 time. I did have to send it out for repair, but they went above and beyond. Instead of just replacing the one broken part, they essentially replaced almost everything except the hard drive so I have a nearly new computer now. The size, design, and features are all amazing. It is also so user friendly, and I can do more with it than I ever could on a PC (which is all I ever had for the first 20 years of my life...not all of those computers were laptops, but still). Obviously the con of a Macbook is that it is more expensive than a lot of other laptops...but in my opinion the quality is reflected in the price, and it will last significantly longer than other brands. Maybe some people do buy their first Apple product because of the design and marketing, but I honestly think it's the quality (and just plain awesomeness) of the products that keeps them coming back. Once you go Mac you never go back...I know I never could!!!

infinitise

(0) Hearts

Wow Thank you for your opinion!

I do agree with all of the things you've said. I don't think any brand could beat the apple store... 

if anything, the extra cost can be justified by the in store service.. 

and plus, Samsung laptops are as expensive as the apple. Their ultrabook and chrome book is crazy expensive :smileysad: I trust the brand, but I don't know what I'm going to do if anything happens to it.. 

I think I'm completely sold on the Macbooks and iphones in the near future when my contract ends 

sourpanda

I've had my macbook pro for over a year now and I already want to upgrade to the retina. This was my first Apple laptop and I don't think I will be switching brands any time soon. I love the sleek design and how convenient the trackpad is. I had a Sony before and it was so clunky compared to my Apple. Other laptops always seem to crash and slow with use but my Apple still works great.

manniface

NOT DELL

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 52 replies
  • 37 hearts
  • 25 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • nikki
    • DTalksAll