Carmen241986

Transgender Youth Clinic At The Hospital I Work For :-D !!!

Hey girls,

So I couldn't contain my feeling of joy when I heard that the hospital I work for has just recently opened a Transgender Youth Clinic. It's the first clinic in Toronto to be devoted to dealing with patients undergoing a gender transition. In a city like Toronto we don't have a whole lot of resources available for those who need the help to transition properly without ridicule. I'm just so thankful that they've finally done this and that these children can get the help they truly need. If I could get a job transfer to work with these youth I would do it in a heartbeat. I wouldn't want to see them go through the same struggles I did when I was transitioning. Anyways I just thought I would share this great news because this is one thing I truly feel happy about right now :-D !!

nebel

Re: Transgender Youth Clinic At The Hospital I Work For :-D !!!

Nope, not crazy at all.  I like multi-theism a lot.  One of my very good friends is Hindu, and I love learning about the gods.   I'm also a devout yogi, so that brings in a lot of elements of Hinduism.  I consider myself spiritual but not religious.  I don't really believe in a God or Gods, but that doesn't mean I discount the fact that some religions have fun stories and messages and powerful teachings.  I have other friends who are Pagan, or even who identify with Norse gods.  If I offer up prayers, they are generally to the Universe.

Spyski

Nebel, you sound like myself. 

nebel

I knew I liked you, Spyski :smileywink:

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

Did it work? are we not talking about the other topic anymore :smileytongue: 

Spyski

ancient-aliens-i-dont-know-therefore-aliens.jpg

Tayvm

Not only will the youth be served in this wonderful facility, but due to the fact that such services are now becoming more readily available, there will be much more discussion (sometimes like what is found in this thread) on the subject. Education, awareness, acceptance.  Every small step is important. So happy that you shared your news with us :smileyhappy:

Sheli18

This is wonderful news!

I am new here, but I really want to add something to this discussion.  I think it's amazing of you to be so excited and full of joy for the opportunity to help others with their own personal struggles.  I feel this got lost somewhere in the discussion -- that you are an inspiration!

And even though I'm all fired up to say something about 'valid opinions', I'll have to refrain.  It's irrelevant.

I SO hope you get the transfer, and we are SO happy for you!

ghkim

whoa, carmen, looks like your post stirred up a fair amount of controversy! just my two cents: it looks like the argument between dcgirlie and everyone else is about religion more than it is about transgenderism. in my humble opinion, i think religion is personal. there are a zillion churches out there (since we are talking about Christianity), and they each have subtle differences in the way they interpret the Bible. at the risk of being harshly criticized i think dcgirlie has a right to her religion and to believing that transgendering is a sin. i don't really take issue with that. heck there are plenty of things i do every day of my life that i'm sure dcgirlie would consider wrong and sinful, and i am ok with that. i think, though, that by saying 'this is sad' dcgirlie made a lot of people mad because it was perceived as disrespectful. nevermind the fact that it simply isn't true: on the contrary, there has been a ton of happiness expressed about this post! but seriously, when you judge someone else's life to be 'sad' particularly when they are actually happy about it, it seems you are trying to bring them down. and i would also reinforce what others have said, God tells us not to judge, so dcgirlie, why not let God do the judging? if you really are concerned with everyone's sins shouldn't you just be loving us and praying for us all instead of judging us? for what its worth, i don't think you are a hateful person, just passionate about your religion. 

carmen, this is great news! is there any way you can orchestrate a transfer? you know what they say, if you find a job you love you will never work another day of your life. (or something like that.)

itscarin

DCGirlie is using religion as an excuse to be hateful towards people with different gender identities and sexualities.  It's like saying "I'm racist because God told me to be!"  It's just BS.  I don't care what anyone's religion is or how they choose to practice it, but when they come into a public space and cite their religion as a reason to denigrate someone else, there's a problem. 

lilyyy

I don't see it as being about religion vs transgender. A lot of us are religious on this board. It is about DCgirlie saying something judgmental and hateful and then using religion as a shield.

ghkim

so you think she was hating on transgenderism and then when she got called out, she tried to validate her views by using religion? i suppose that is one way to interpret it. my impression was that this was all about religion from the get-go, but then again, i did read it in backwards order, so maybe that explains it. just to be clear though, i don't think there's anything wrong at all with being religious. i hope that is not the message i conveyed.

lylysa

It was sort of odd, Ghkim. Someone did notice she was a newcomer in the forum, and this was the first and only thread she ever posted in. I posted a few pages back to her letting her know BT is all voluntary participation and if she was stressing how this is Sephora and not a place for non-beauty related topics she was more than welcome to chime in on the beauty threads, but she only ever posted here.

She hasn't posted much within the past hour or so, for whatever reason is unbeknownst to us.

lilyyy

Yes, I do. Because when presented with counter evidence from the Bible she was unable to produce evidence to support her argument. Her argument mostly consisted of using the word "God" and that's it.

ghkim

(0) Hearts

wow, seems like an ill-conceived attack on dcgirlie's part. oh well, looks like the massive counter-attack has silenced her. as a side note, i consider myself to be pretty well versed in the Bible, but i am seriously floored by some of you guys' knowledge (bratknits i'm looking at you too)! it's nice to know that women who are obsessed with beauty and cosmetics can also be so freaking smart.

shortstuff07

Yay!  

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

How about we focus on loving each other as ourselves, and let God do the judging?  That was basically the point of the Bible for me.  

spacesuit

That is wonderful news, I hope you can get the transfer! :smileyhappy: It would be so great for you and the youth in the program. In my own experience, a lot of LGBT+ focused groups tend to run really young age-wise anyway (like good luck meeting someone under college-age) and it's SO important for young people to feel like they have some sort of mentor, or at least someone older who's "been there" and survived a lot of the stuff they're experiencing and can talk to them about it and help them out with stuff they're struggling with. .

BeautyJunkie325

I guess for me the Bible is love. I was taught to love your neighbor as yourself and do unto others as I would have the do unto me. We support Carmen and the struggles she has gone through, and we are awed by the fact that she felt that BT was a safe place to share her story. DCgirlie 11 you are completely entitled to not agree with this post, but you could have just ignored it and moved on.

1 Corinthians 13:4-8 "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away."

clarks18

This is great news!  You should really find out about that transfer.  I think you would be an asset to this clinic.  There is nothing better than having a job you love and really helping with a cause you care deeply about. 

kittichick

This post and thread have been tremendously heart-warming in two ways.

1) It's encouraging to see news like what Carmen posted about. Transgenderism is still so misunderstood and people still get so harassed. I just wish we were showing this much progression in the US. 

2) I'm truly excited to see all this support in this community. Only one person had to say something negative, and when he or she did so, sooo many people stood up for what's right.

Because it is, dangit.

Sure, we can all say it's a matter of opinion. Almost all moral issues can be seen in terms of opinion. Once upon a time, not that long ago, really, many people would say that bi-racial couples were immoral. Some (crazy) people still do. But the tide has turned and the vast majority of us recognize that keeping two people apart based on race is immoral. Right now, many people believe that being Trans is immoral. I have no doubt that in twenty to thirty years, the vast majority of people will have no issue with it. And people who have anti-LGBT attitudes will look like bigots.

DCgirlie11

(0) Hearts

annonymous1-Why follow the POPE when you can read the Bible for yourself. You should not need someone telling you what you believe.

sundaespal

If you want your religious beliefs respected, then you have to respect those of others. And it's unnecessary to assume someone who believes in the Pope has not also read the Bible for themselves.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 186 replies
  • 674 hearts
  • 50 in conversation
    • kalex
    • katie1724
    • itscarin
    • DTalksAll
    • anaa
    • emmaclaire