DTalksAll

Thought you all might enjoy this....

Nars lipgloss & YSL glossy stains serve another purpose... Place markers! 

I'm fed up trying to find a vanity that I really like that's under 2G's... so against my boyfriend's wishes I will build my own from IKEA. It won't go with our furniture & decor, but I'm running out of space & trying to find makeup in random places throughout the house is just not working out for me. 

This was all a very sudden decision & I was too lazy to go to the basement to find painters tape. So I improvised with lippies :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: 

IMG_2576.jpg

spoiledbrat

Re: Thought you all might enjoy this....

(0) Hearts

You can pick up vintage vanities at estate and tag sales and auctions, Goodwill, Salvation Army, Savers, etc. Given time you should be able to find one that suits all of your needs, plus it will probably be better in every aspect than an Ikea. I do love Ikea though.  Change out the hardware, paint or not and you might find a treasure!

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

great idea... but I'm really picky. I tried a while ago, but it's really time consuming to go to those & where I live they aren't very popular. Normally people just hire someone to sell their stuff for them or they donate it. And the Goodwill by me only has stinky couches, it's small & they don't have room for furniture.
The thing is I'm running out of time. Ikea is my backup plan until I find something I like & feel is worth the splurge. I have no issue paying 2-3Gs for a vanity if it's made of quality wood, has storage space, and matches our furniture 

IMG_2577.jpg

(please don't mind the mess :smileywink:

kimchikween

(0) Hearts

A friend's friend was a prop designer/carpenter for the local theater and he would make custom furniture for people.  He actually offered to build me a custom pool table, but then he moved away.  I would love to have someone build me a fully custom vanity....

DTalksAll

YES! I contemplated going back to where we got our dinning room table & credenza from. We decided to go to Lancaster county in PA & have something custom made by the Amish out of reclaimed barn wood exactly to our liking. Our next project from them is a kitchen cart to match. I should e-mail the shop about a vanity, I'm just afraid of the price, but at least I know the quality is there 

kimchikween

(0) Hearts

Oh lucky that you have that near you!

DTalksAll

It's a bit of a drive, but it's worth it. When we moved we really struggled finding good quality furniture that will last. Everything now is fake or treated & falls apart quickly. I rather have real wood that warps with the change of seasons than something that will get a crack or fall apart if you bump it wrong. 

kimchikween

Have you seen EnKore's YouTube vidoes on DIY drawer dividers?  They're kind of technical but make sense.  Also gives you something to do with cardboard boxes (soft drink holder, crackers, etc...)

Go to EnKoreMakeup youtube channel and search for organize

Here's someone who replicated it - he also has DIY lipstick and lipgloss organizers

swfupload_7016347907148161283.jpg

DTalksAll

I did! I re-use my beauty bar sample society boxes for just about everything & still have a few lying around. Also I'm a big fan of the clear plastic kitchen trays from Bed Bath & Beyond. I'll need to measure out the drawers, spread out my stash & then go from there 

kimchikween

(0) Hearts

All this has made me want to re-arrange my room - less emphasis on the home office section and more on the makeup section..that's where the priority should like, right?

kimchikween

I wish I had wall space in my room for a great vanity...I suppose I could just takeover the guestroom and make it my makeup room?  Hmm...not sure guests would like me popping in there to do my makeup when they're here :smileytongue:

You know how there are walk-in closets...how about a walk-in makeup closet???

kenny

(0) Hearts

Who need a walk-in closet for clothes?!? Walk-in makeup closets are all we need :smileyhappy:

Kiki1517

(0) Hearts

Go for it! :smileywink: If my closet had an outlet for a better light, I would be all over that lol.

glossyguru

I absolutely love the great ideas on BT! A walk in makeup closet will definitely be a selling point for me when I buy a house!

ginger304

I bought my large white vanity from RAYMOUR and Flannigan for ABOUT 800.00 WHEN I outgrew my shabby chic Rachel ashwell one..it has 6 drawers and a triple mirror..its very girly and I love it..but unfortunately I am outgrowing this one..i even bought a big train case ui keep on it for makeup..but with all my samples and back ups I am running out of room!!I don't think they make a nig enough one for us addiscts..the bigger it is the more we buy!right??

MakeupJunkie666

[ Edited ]

I would love to see the final outcome! Sadly, there isn't an Ikea in Las Vegas so I had to make due with a $40 computer desk with a single drawer from Target and a mirror from HomeGoods ($25). I've been looking at overpriced vanity's for ages but I must say I'm surprised I was able to pull this off under $100.  

1233430_10202079889386720_2102781072_n.jpg

1000572_10202013076476439_1861495415_n.jpg

Kiki1517

My vanity is a work in progress and I just found one of the Alex drawers on Craigslist for super cheap (matching shelf on the other side). I absolutely love them. I don't have a table top, just the Ekby shelf w drawers and and Ekby glasstop shelf stacked. You are going to love how much you can organize with those drawers!

IMG_20130907_002351.jpgBTW this has been S'mores new sleepy spot!

DTalksAll

Thanks so my set up will be very similar to yours. 

I'm considering painting it before I even try putting it together so it won't look so Ikeaish. 

My main issue is when you walk in the room it will be the first thing you see & it does not go with our romantic Restoration Hardware pieces at all :smileysad: 

Kiki1517

I would do that too. I painted everything else, but since I bought them on Craigslist, they were already put together and I don't even want to try getting them apart :smileytongue: In the end it will probably save you alot though, more money to fill the drawer with makeup hahahaha!

bvnny

Cute kitty!

DTalksAll

So I'm building my own vanity from IKEA. The malm dressing table is way tooooo small, even if it's just temporary. 

So I'm going with 2 Alex drawer units as the base & then a 59" tabletop over them. I'm also going to add an Ekby Alex shelf with drawers in the middle of the table top. 

Now I just need to find a pretty mirror 

I feel so defeated going the IKEA route, but I really don't have a choice right now. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 37 replies
  • 42 hearts
  • 19 in conversation
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll
    • ginger304
    • spoiledbrat
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • dianabt