The Fabz No Buy Challenge

MoreGun89

The Fabz No Buy Challenge

I figured we needed an official thread for this.  The goal is to detox from frequent beauty purchases (beauty basics exempt) for one month beginning on March 1st.   This is the place to give tips and tricks on your willpower, support for it, and whatever random cravings that may come your way!

Good luck, ladies!

prettyinpa

Re: The Fabz No Buy Challenge

My big challenge is what to reward myself with when I complete a big project or exercise every single day. I don't need to lose weight, so I don't get the scale thrill that other exercisers get. Since I am goal oriented, I always got myself a little something when I completed a big task, so now I have to think of something that isn't food (no use ruining all my fitness efforts) and isn't shopping. Hmm...

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

Day 2.

Finished Seniorita Margarita from proj 10-pan! But when I grabbed the next shampoo in line (H2O+ Sea Marine Revitalizing) I discovered another cleanser behind it. Nooooooo! Okay okay I get it okay? I'm a skincare addict, so stop letting me discover random skincare items everywhere! Also forgot to count the eye roller gel and facial spray I kept in the office, and the pack of facial wipes. So:

cleansers - 11

Makeup remover - 4
Toner/spray - 10
moisturizer/oil/eye cream - 28.

I was shocked and kind of in denial about how much I have, until I counted again, now I've finally accepted it. Saw 2 promo code from Sephora today, but one's loose powder and the other moisturizer that I've tried and wasn't impressed with. So so far so good.

-BT diary

Fabz

Anyone else get a good coupon that tested you already? Of course it was the first thing I saw in the mail today. 29 more days rock it ladies.

bananachoox3

Day 1 Accomplish!

Maybe because I had to work all day LOLL

MoreGun89

Today's the day! Aaaaand...GO!!

ChicDabbler

Wait, what? already? *panic*

To help my self restraint, I'm going to try not to peek at Sephora's sales section. *covers eyes*.

sephoramusthave

Aww come on guys! Do we need to start another thread where we post pictures of all the makeup/skincare/bodycare etc we own just to remind ourselves that we at least have enough stuff to make it through *one month*?

WE CAN DO IT

MoreGun89

Bwahaha!  Maybe, I just added what I'd like to replace my mascara and powder with when i run out into my shopping list :smileytongue:

sephoramusthave

(0) Hearts

You're allowed to buy *one* of whatever you *completely* run out of (if you have sample packets/deluxe samples, use those first!)

Okay, I wanna see everyone's stash. Lets have it. If you start to get antsy, look at your stash. Or count your products.

Fabz

I feel like a little kid, "Awww, do I have to?". Good luck to everyone. Let us know if you need help not splurging! I know I will be needing some retail therapy but I must refrain.

sephoramusthave

I think that I might be the only person here that finds no-buys kind of fun, because it allows me to use amazing things that I've set aside for *soooo* long. I'm completely loving my TheBalm and the beautiful palette and havent put it down since I started project 10 pan. It has 16 gorgeous shadows and 3 lip/cheek colors with endless combinations, just this one palette could keep me busy for ages! I dont remember exactly *when* I got this palette, but I've set it aside for months and never touched it and now I cant live without it. I remember buying one, then giving it away, then going back and getting it again for myself because it was such a good deal (20 bucks at TJMAXX).

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

The hardest thing is to chose what to use next, I can never decide! And you have to stick to it for at least a week without changing anything else for skincare.

- Clinique repairwear, Peter Thomas Roth Retinol PM, or Caudalie brightening serum?

- Ren Glycol enzyme mask, AmorePacific enzyme mask, or True Blue Spa pumpkin enzyme mask?

- ExfoliKate intensive or Philosophy Micro-Delivery Duo phase peel?

Heeeelp! I can't deciiiide (which usually lead me into neglecting them for something new...leading to my skincare stash). I feel like I should make a "What should BeautyTester use next?" thread. >.<

MoreGun89

haha, exactly!  It's like, which one will work better for me? And you don't know until you actually try them!

MoreGun89

Not bad, and possibly, but I don't really have a huge amount set aside, I use everything, and some things are seasonal or a replacement for when I run out :smileytongue:  My wallet kinda desperately needs this no buy though XD

Fabz

Mine too. I am dead broke right now but it felt so good to buy buy buy but it's time to actually get some use out of the products I've already purchased. HOLD ON!! I am in desperate need of tennis shoes since I've started exercising to lose the baby weight and realized I had grown out of my old ones. Does this count? It's not like I'm going to buy just for the sake of buying ... I had not thought this through. Then again, who can enjoy ZUMBA when your feet are crushed?

ChicDabbler

Do you want to exercise or it have to be that specific exercise? there are 2 no-buy options:

1. You can find an activity like Yoga or Pilates that doesn't even need shoes (Yoga actually helps me sleep better and I feel refreshed from the stretching).

2. You can wear other comfortable shoes for Zumba. If it's comfortable for walking, it should be comfortable for exercising. I've worn sneakers, vans, mary janes, and other flat shoes with a good rubber heel/support for treadmills.

But if you are serious and exercise every day (instead of once a week like me), then you should buy exercise shoes.

prettyinpa

I think exercise shoes shouldn't be subject to no-buy. But you HAVE to use them, not just put them in the closet or put off exercising because of something else, or buy them just because they are cute. I often buy new running shoes in the spring to celebrate not having to run in old icky, smelly winter mud encrusted ones. Plus it's important to take care of your feet so you don't get bunions, blisters or other painful maladies. They are more like necessities if you are going to exercise, not as if you just went out and bought cute clothes to exercise in.

*just call me Miss Enabler*

Say, they should invent a patch that people can wear to keep them from shopping. :smileyhappy:

Fabz

No I'm acutally exercising lol not just trying to buy something. I am hoping to go tomorrow with my husband so he can help me pick ( does anyone else have a horrible time choosing by themselves?), that way I won't be tempted to use the BOGO sale going on for myself. I will get my tennis shoes and he can pick some sandals or something. I WILL NOT PICK ANY CUTE SHOES!!!! :smileyvery-happy:

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

Changed my mind, I'm joining this for skincare purchases. Not counting packet samples (~30), duplicates (~5), and almost finish stuff (~4), the number of different products I have:

Cleanser - 10
Scrubs - 4
Make up remover - 3
Masks/peels - 14
Toner/facial spray - 9
serum - 9
moisturizer/oil/eye cream- 27

To be fair, half of them are deluxe/half size products.....Erm, is that worthy of detoxing? o.O

(wow, can't believe I have ~100 different skincare products from different brands right now...)

MoreGun89

YES O.o

Fabz

I think you are in serious need of detoxing from skin care products lady. Step away, slowly!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 531 replies
  • 921 hearts
  • 33 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • melissa93
    • prettyinpa
    • sephoramusthave
    • shyvicki
    • waterbaby1981