MoreGun89

The Fabz No Buy Challenge

I figured we needed an official thread for this.  The goal is to detox from frequent beauty purchases (beauty basics exempt) for one month beginning on March 1st.   This is the place to give tips and tricks on your willpower, support for it, and whatever random cravings that may come your way!

Good luck, ladies!

triciaann12

Re: The Fabz No Buy Challenge

[ Edited ]

drrragon

[ Edited ]

LOL i do actually have a couple pics in my archive.  lemme pull them out again so you can see...

pic 1: the smallest planner "page" offered by Trish

pic 2: a small double-decker compact with mirror (can you tell i loooooove tiny things????)

both have magnetic bottoms so that metallic makeup pans stick to the magnet

20130130_182102.jpg20130130_182241.jpg

Fabz

[ Edited ]

ERM AH GAWG!! I just looked up the site... goodness this could be hazardous to my health. I have always been super obsessed with regular planners but now I've discovered these MAKEUP planners... Shiz just got real, son.

quenbee

Ok so just pulled my large planner and accordingly to my sons little plastic black and decker tape measure its 7 inches wide and 4 inches high.  This holds all 12 eyeshadows from the 3 new benefit kits with a whole nother row to spare! It is sleek only maybe quarter of an inch high if that fits great in the drawer.  drrragon, if you get the large one you should be all set! It only cost me $17.20 total to the door!!!!!   Us dollars!  

drrragon

wow, 7x4!!!!  so much room!  that is soooooo tempting!  thanks for measuring yours :smileyhappy: 

quenbee

You're welcome!  It is a great size. Maybe a little big for travel, but nice to have everything all in one place.  

Let me know how you make out!

And I should have probably said that the 3 benefit kits are those world's "easiest", "glamorous" and "sexiest" nudes.  The pans fit nicely in the planner in the same order as the bulky box.  The silvery one got on my fingers a little, but not bad. And i dont know how it  happened but all six shadows fix exactly across the page. Those boxes came apart pretty easy and the glue did too.

drrragon

@quenbee -- argh now you're making me want the Benefit sets too!  I swatched them when they first came out and I WANT!!!!

quenbee

Eh - they are nice but not "wahoo". I feel like there are so many other kits out there that have the same or very similar collors!    Did you get the Laura Mercier artist palette that was out a month or two ago?  a lot of similar colors!  Also the nudey colors can be found in UD naked (I have all three). If i have time later today i will do some side by side swatchs and let you know what i come up with.  Save your money for something really awesome or wait till they go on sale!

quenbee

LM - plum smoke -----  benefit - raincheck

LM - vanilla nuts ------  benefit - call my buff (which is duped in 2 of them)

LM - cameo -----  benefit - it's complicated 

LM - coffee ground ----- benefit - quick look busy

LM  - chocolate -----  benefit kiss me, I'm tipsy

LM - sunlit ---- benefit gilt-y pleasure

now that I just did that makes me mad that I spent over $100 on those palettes when I have those same colors already, and there some other Laura colorsi in that palette that are just beautiful!

If I could figure out how to upload pic from phone I would show you how exactly the same they are!

drrragon

oh my gosh yes I do have the LM Artist Palette for Eyes!!!!  I love it because I never really tried mattes before and I've been having fun experimenting.  Wow thanks for the list of dupes too, that really helps me not need to buy the Benefit so much, LOL.  *high five!*

quenbee

Hehe I am so bad, I love that LM palette so much I bought an extra for spare (redonkulous that I would even think I could get through the first!)  Matte eyeshadow is so tricky - I stay away from Bobbi brown mattes because I feel they make my eyes look chalky, but then again her eyeshadows feel chalky to begin with and not much color variation.  LM has a very silky texture and vanilla nuts brightens my eyes without making them look ghostly- and I love the variety of color and texturE in that palette, it was well done!

My favorite Of those matte colors are vanilla nuts and plum smokfabulous

sephoramusthave

swfupload_5218576958146974130.jpgday 19 complete. Doing good so far. I used my $10 TJmaxx coupon today, and usually I spend it on beauty things like skincare, beauty tools, fragrance, makeup bags, bath/body stuffs but today I bought a pink lacoste towel with that coupon so huzzah! :smileyvery-happy: I was tempted by this little makeup bag though....I only have 1 makeup bag (2 parts) that was given to me by an aunt years ago, and I have this tiny wallet like makeup bag that I rarely ever use when I travel because it fits nothing and you cant close it up when you do fill it up (>_<)....I dont remember the brand name, but it was lepoard print with a big strong pink zipper and it was the perfect size, its not too big, not too small, could easily be thrown in a big purse, but its one of those "looks small but its super spacious" things. It wouldnt take up much room at all when I'm traveling or on vacation but it could fit a full face of makeup items, plus my brushes, my sunscreen and still have room for a few skincare items or any new makeup that I might buy on vacation. I didnt end up getting it, but I'm kicking myself now! I was also tempted by this Caudalie bronzer I saw in a boutique. It looks super dark in the pan, way way darker than what I usually go for, but its matte and when I rubbed it all over the inner part of my arm, it looked like a really natural tan. No shimmer, glitter or sparkle, it didnt look orange at all. Real natural looking. It was $34 I think....and I dont know when that item came out/if its still out because I've never seen Caudalie carry makeup. Plus, since it is Caudalie, it should be a natural bronzer with natural ingredients, and natural things always always draw me in. I might get it after my no buy, especially if its discontinued, just because I'm pale and use bronzer pretty much every single day.

violalea

(0) Hearts

yeah hope its still available then :smileyhappy:

drrragon

@fabz yikes!  at least wait til April!!!!  LOL!

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

Well, I've always resisted the siren call of Korean skincare with the excuse it's hard to get and not worth the trouble in US, but then my favorite kpop group became spokespeople for Etude House, and they seriously have the cutest packaging ever.

swfupload_6194148529689344772.jpg

I've resisted those (put the powder on wishlist for later) but am super tempted to get 2 Korean skincare things from Amazon. I would wait, but they are listed as "Only 10 left in stock." and sometimes Amazon prices would fluctuate weirdly......so, I'm tempted. Haven't buy yet, but... if they became "Only 5 left in stock".....T.T

ChicDabbler

It's Crystal Powder from Etude House Etoinette collection. They are absolutely gorgeous, and the fact the crystal powder is actually good quality (unlike most things in pretty packagings) made it even more tempting. And I can also reuse it. And I'll just stop here for today before my will power decreases any further...

But they are great eye candy, their most recent collection is sweets/bakery inspired:swfupload_4032712782626866799.jpg

violalea

wow my boyfriend might try to eat it if i had it cause it looks exactly like chocolate :smileywink:

drrragon

oh wow it looks like CHOCOLATE!  now I want one!!!!

quenbee

Oh how beautiful, what intricate packaging!

MoreGun89

Agreed, that packaging is darling!

Fabz

Too cute ever though I don't know what it is. :smileyvery-happy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 531 replies
  • 921 hearts
  • 33 in conversation