MoreGun89

The Fabz No Buy Challenge

I figured we needed an official thread for this.  The goal is to detox from frequent beauty purchases (beauty basics exempt) for one month beginning on March 1st.   This is the place to give tips and tricks on your willpower, support for it, and whatever random cravings that may come your way!

Good luck, ladies!

Gamergirl24

Re: The Fabz No Buy Challenge

I have started thinking more about what IS in my collection than what is NOT. The trick is avoiding that mall which is directly accross from my college.

sephoramusthave

Day 4 complete.

There's way too many things coming out every.single.day that its hard to keep up!

bananachoox3

I really want this nail polish by Essie . Its a mint color! I'm pretty sure thats the only thing thats close to making me open my wallet for.

MoreGun89

Holding up well, would love a retail therapy purchase since I just got practically knocked upside the head with a cold, and while the scent wouldn't matter at this point, I really want to order the full size of that perfume ^.^  

shyvicki

Like I've mentioned in other threads, I have way too many lip glosses and eye shadow pallets. I've promised myself not to buy any more until I use up what I have right now. I have to admit seeing the emerald collection eye shadows is making me weak, but I have at least three shadow palets with an emerald green shadow.

I do need to make a trip to Sephora in the near-future, but for skincare items.

veevali

I've been a long time lurker on beautytalk and I think I have to participate in this no buy. I think I need a sephora detox, until their next VIB sale maybe...

sephoramusthave

Welcome welcome veevali! Its a  lot easier being on no-buy when a bunch of other people are doing it too...that way you dont feel like you're alone! I need to stop adding things to my shopping list...it would take me a lifetime to actually buy everything on it. Maybe I need to count my makeup items again...I'm really surprised at the amount of cheek products that I own...(blushes/bronzers/highlighters) because it takes me quite a while to finish up just one of these things....I think I need to do the counting thread again lol.

veevali

Thanks! I'm honestly afraid to count my items, especially if you include samples. I always wait to buy something until there's a gwp I want. Gotta get the most bang for my buck :smileyhappy:

sephoramusthave

Does anyone else find themselves browsing beauty products online *more* when on a no-buy? And my shopping list always gets longer when I'm on these things.....

How's day 4 for everyone else?

drrragon

Yup, I definitely turn to online shopping more frequently.  My shopping list has doubled in size since I started back in January!  On the one hand, it sort of soothes me and prevents me from running out to Sephora or dept stores and doing a mad buying spree.  Also what's been happening lately is I'll put a bunch of stuff in my shopping cart, leave it there for a few days, then come back to it and wonder why I wanted those things in the first place.

MoreGun89

Things are going well so far, have a slightly bigger shopping list than usual, but it's definitely been nice ^.^

Fabz

I've been trying to stay away from my online stores... it's too tempting to press order lol. I do notice how much of a compulsion I have to buy things though. Even without beauty supplies I spent a little over 80$ at Walgreens last night...I have a real problem.

sephoramusthave

(0) Hearts

I love Walgreens too...they carry Burts Bees and Ecotools brushes. I like CVS better though, because you can scan your cvs points card on the price scanner thingy and it always prints out a coupon, and more often than not, thats coupons for beauty items (50% off or buy one get one free....)

whitechelsea

I did this in January. It was hard. I still looked at stuff and even made list. BUT after it was over the list got smaller of stuff i wanted because i found i already had things like it in my collection. It was hard but a real eye opener of what is a need or just a want.

Gamergirl24

That is nice to know. I find myself thnking "I really need __ in my collection." Then adding it to my shopping list, but when I really think about it half of that wish list gets deleted. I also keep products I currently own on my shopping list until I determine there is something better or find that I don't reach for the item. 

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

Temptation arrives, the rest of the Sephora+Pantone stuff from last year are now in the sales section including the precious metals palette (and promo code hopeful). Hmmm....I need to go look at my stash of moisturizers. =.=

broadwaybarbie

This is the PERFECT thread haha! Especially for all of us makeup addicts. Its great that we have an offical support group now :smileyhappy: 

sephoramusthave

Ugggggggh. Went shopping with my mom today, she wanted to go to Sephora since it was.right.there and wanted me to do her makeup, show her some new stuffs so that she could indulge herself with some new goodies. I thought that I wouldnt be able to leave empty handed but I did. How's that for motivation? I found at least 6 things that I want to get so I put them on my shopping list (yay!!) for next time. The sales woman in there were like "we should just hire you right now" lol. I did the whole face on my mom, she loved the look and bought almost everything that I put on her face. My mom likes me doing her makeup because I know how to match foundation, every single sales woman that put foundation on her either uses one thats way too dark, or somehow makes her look orange or yellow. Plus I look for the newest/cleanest tester brushes and she likes that too. And with me, she doesnt feel pressured to buy, but still finds great products and walks out of there with a bag full of stuff in under 30 minutes. Anyway....here's what my mom bought for herself, with my guidance lol.

1. nars sheer glow foundation, mont blanc

2. bite beauty lipstick in vento

3. hourglass ambient powder, luminous light

4. kvd blush, love song

5. kvd concealer, 16

6. nars albatross highlighter

7. bare minerals settting powder, translucent

8. too faced single shadow, the navy color

I had so much fun picking out stuff for her! I went home with nothing, but next time....its on.

Gamergirl24

I was putting this off because I didn't want to admit that I had a problem. I am in for the no buy.

Hi my name is Gamergirl24, and I am a makeup addict.

Fabz

Welcome. Everyone is accepted.

bananachoox3

Day 3 Accomplished!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 531 replies
  • 921 hearts
  • 33 in conversation