spoiledbrat

TODAY IS NATIONAL CAT DAY

There are many animal lovers on BT. In honor of National Cat Day please consider a donation to your local shelter. Even a dollar helps. They can always use detergent and towels, cleaning products, litter, food, you name it. Thank all of you in advance for your consideration. :smileyhappy:

kimmi1115

Re: TODAY IS NATIONAL CAT DAY

I did not find out until yesterday afternoon about National Cat Day.  Why can't fun stuff like that be included in my planner? lol

jenpred

Thank you for posting this, spoiledbrat! I adopted my little one 13 years ago, and she's honestly been such a blessing, although she can be such a snot sometimes :smileywink:!

I try to donate as much as I can to the shelter where I got her. Like many said, every little bit helps! These sweet animals need us to be their advocates.

MermaidBarbie

Thank you for posting this, Brat. I love cats. My parents won't allow me to have one because they say cats shed and will get their hair everywhere, including food. :smileysad: Cats are so prrrrecious.

upload_1428513056242136791.jpg

PoesRevy

This is fantastic way to raise awareness, share stories, laugh, and cry. It surely reminds why I feel disgusted/sick by any shelter that kills (I do not even know how it can be considered a shelter, seriously). The importance our roles can be in stopping the insanity that comes into play pertaining to wrongful treatment and how we can help the homeless fur babies.

A special thanks to spoiledbrat for this post and thank you to all of you that care enough to rescue, adopt, donate, help out and advocate. :heart:

Mystiques

Thanks for posting about National cat day :smileyhappy:

I have two cats. One my husband and I found in our apartment complex. He was all skinny to the bone and had a dislocated hip. (We did post flyers in our neighborhood and at the local shelters, but no one claimed him). The other one we adopted from Petco when they had a shelter visiting. 

I enjoy donating to animals. I always donate when I shop at Petco and Petsmart. And recently donated to Alley cat Allies when they had national feral cat day. I also like Animal Legal Defense Fund. Since they try make better laws for animals plus also help with other animals cases.

spoiledbrat

Mystiques, thank you for helping them - Alley Cat Allies is a great organization, i work with them. The Animal Legal Defense Fund has an attorney in Illinois that i work with as she travels the state to advocate for animals - she also has a small rescue of her own - with what is known about the psychological problems associated with those that harm animals, i cannot understand why judges to not enforce more severe punishments especially with the dog fighting and pet mills

garnett

My husband and I have four rescued cats.  The first was a feral that we took in.  OK, we tricked her in. It took a long time to socialize her but she is now such an affectionate lap cat.  The other three are strays that we took in.  We have done trap-neuter-release  for at least a dozen local cats so far.   I can't bring everyone inside but we wanted to do what we can to control the population and take care of the ones outside.   There are many things that you can do to help the cause.  You can donate your time, money, or items to your local shelters.  Many have a "wishlist" on Amazon.  Just type the name of the shelter and the word wishlist into the search.  Up will pop all sorts of items that run from a few dollars to a few hundred.  No donation is too small. You can support programs that help with the cost of neutering.  I was able to get the cats we trapped spayed and neutered plus shots for about $30 per cat because people donated to the program.  I have "friended" my local shelters on FB.  There is one here in particular who calls on their friends to make donations so that they can do a rescue run to a kill shelter.  They go over there and grab up all the ones who's time is up, bring them back and get them adopted. It costs them about $100 per cat to get them ship shape and ready to go to a loving home.  If you see something like this I want to stress that NO DONATION IS TOO SMALL. 

Human beings need to be the friends and protectors of this earth and all the living creatures that walk upon it.  Together we can each do a little to make great things happen.  

veronika23

So beautiful.  Love your line "Human beings need to be the friends and protectors of this earth and all the living creatures that walk upon it."  It made me cry.  I so believe in that.  I think this is what I hate most about the human race... Most think we are superior.  We are not! Everyone deserves to live on this planet.  We need to fight for those who can't speak and we need to take care of our planet.  People tend to forget that without mother nature we wouldn't be alive right now! 

spoiledbrat

There are many shelters that are happy with a trash bag of shredded paper - i shred the sephora paper when i am doing something else and they act like i a giving them a sack of money - it costs nothing but helps

The shelter in Champaign has a waiting list for every animal that other shelters would consider un-adoptable, except severe behavior problems - it is a no kill shelter and they have more than enough funding and endowments - people in the area wait in line for the special needs cats and dogs; it is amazing and wonderful - one of the cats i adopted from there had been there  9 months - he was so precious i do not know how he lasted so long, but i am glad he did :smileyhappy:

veronika23

What a good idea about the paper.  Never thought of that.

DesertRose0706

Thanks for the post!  I am a cat lover and adopted one of my cats from the pound and the other from craigslist.  Its good to remember that you can help animals by providing supplies to shelters and rescue organizations, even if you can't give one a home :smileyhappy:

spoiledbrat

To keep track of your pets there are GPS products for your furry friends; Zoomback, GPS chip all better than micro chips as most vets do not test for them and neither do most shelters - Zoomback is better for dogs and kinda bulky for cats and rabbits. I just have it put in when they are getting spayed or neutered. Worth every penny for the peace of mind.

PoesRevy

Donating to the local shelter is something I enjoy doing. I love all of our fur baby friends :smileyhappy:

einai

Glad you found your cat, Meg82! 

One of my previous cats came home one day with a scratch on her forehead, so my cats are indoor only now, though we do take them out for walks.  I just don't trust them to not get scratched by racoons or run over by cars or get picked up by an animal abuser... 

Meg82

My cat disappeared for 2 weeks 2 years ago.  I found her in the main shelter in Seattle.  All found animals in King County have to go through that shelter.  They kill animals they don't consider adoptable after the animal has been there three days.  I found Mina on day two.  I have never felt so lucky in my entire life.  And so thankful to the volunteer who told me to come every three days to make sure I saw all the cats.

Anyway, the reason I am saying all of this is that you shouldn't take your animals for granted.  Also, if you are willing to adopt a slightly older cat (like 8-10, I know that much older than that people are nervous about illness and death and generally don't want to adopt) consider doing it.  Older cats are generally considered un-adoptable and often killed in kill shelters.  Older cats can be just as sweet and delightful as younger cats and older cats have more stable personalities so what you meet in the shelter is what you will get at home (factoring in, of course, the stress of the shelter situation).

Basically, my cat was older, and because she had to go to a kill shelter, because all animals found in king county go through this kill shelter, she was going to be killed.  And I am so glad she wasn't.

veronika23

Thanks for sharing and so glad you found her.  I hate kill shelters!  There's always a way.  My friend rescues animals among other things and she never ever had one end up with the needle. She takes them away from kill shelters if they can't find a home and she works on finding them a home.  She orders food by the skid all with her own money, no donation.  She isn't rich either. She has 8 dogs and not sure how many cats right now. She is my hero!

PoesRevy

I never could understand why the older ones get passed by. It is wrong to think that an older animal is not just as wonderful a fur baby as a young one. That makes me want to cry....kill shelters are wrong. Spay and Neuter.

makeupmaven

Glad she was ok and you found her in time! My cat is 15 so I know what you mean about a stable personality (though she is very needy, but this is just part of her stable personality). She's an indoor cat now, was an outdoor cat before when my husband's family lived in Hollister. Now she's afraid of outside, which is good because we live on a relatively busy street.

pearlgirl7

I almost cried when I read this - thanks for sharing. I am so glad you found your precious cat. If my two dogs disappeared, I don't know how I would get through it. 

ragdoll4mom

You can also donate at Petsmart.   My fur babies sure do bring a lot of joy to our lives.  Our ragdoll/snowshoe mix was adopted from a shelter when she was 8 mths old.  She's going on 14 years now.  We are still amazed that we found her at the shelter.  She was held for 30 days because the employees thought she may have gotten out by accident.  She is so beautiful and sweet and didn't look like a stray!  We also have a ragdoll who is 4 yo.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 35 replies
  • 166 hearts
  • 21 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • mberteig
    • anaa
    • emmaclaire
    • spoiledbrat
    • pearlgirl7