spoiledbrat

TODAY IS NATIONAL CAT DAY

There are many animal lovers on BT. In honor of National Cat Day please consider a donation to your local shelter. Even a dollar helps. They can always use detergent and towels, cleaning products, litter, food, you name it. Thank all of you in advance for your consideration. :smileyhappy:

mberteig

Re: TODAY IS NATIONAL CAT DAY

All of our cats have been strays that we have taken in at one time or another.  Our current 2, Penny and Teller (DH is an amateur magician) are siblings, 2 years old, and gorgeous!  

Over the years, we've taken the strays in our neighborhood to be fixed, and the population has really dropped.  We support the efforts of our local vet and donate to them.  Love the kitties!

einai

The shelter near us actually waived the adoption fee because they got a large donation, but when we adopted our two kittens, we still offered to pay the usual price ($100 per kitten) since we knew that they are doing a good thing and money is always good.  These are our Siamese kittens when they first came home....they are 1 year old now!DSC05733.jpg

lmi82

They are so cute!

Dolan

To add to this, if you sell anything on eBay, you can donate a percentage of your profits to your local (or a not-so-local) humane society or any other nonprofit organization that's registered in their database.

If you're bored, you can cut up old clothes you don't wear anymore and braid them into dog and cat toys--humane societies go through pet toys faster than you can say "national cat day," and some don't buy them in order to put more proceeds to buying necessities. Anyone can make an animal's life better, even if you can't adopt or donate money.

veronika23

That's a good idea =)

spoiledbrat

Veronika, areas that are financially unstable have a greater problem with dumped animals and most shelters in those area are not no-kill shelters. I wish i could save them all. I want stiffer penalties for the abusers. It starts with educating on spaying and neutering. Loving a pet does not require a pedigree. The amount of puppy and kitty mills is so immense and disgusting. If breeders could stop for one year, what a difference it would make. These are helpless animals and i want to help them.

veronika23

Did I say something wrong? I too want to help them.  I've also donated on numerous times to difference causes and both my dogs are rescues. I also wish I could adopt them all.  I also want stiffer penalties for abusers!  Mandatory jail time! We have a petition going right now in my city for some a  hole who beat his mom's dog with a shovel. We all want the maximum sentence! I agree with you as well education is key. 

veronika23

Didn't know that.  Thanks for sharing :smileyhappy: Wanna take a trip to Canada Brat?  My friend rescued some cats and still needs a home for one.  She can't keep her.  She already has too many animals. :smileywink:

I have 2 dogs (rescues) of course and one day plan on having more land and more dogs :smileywink:

We have pet food stores here that accept donations on behalf of various organizations.  So let say you bought food for your cat or dog and they didn't like it you can donate it to them.

spoiledbrat

Veronika i would love to come to Canada for many reasons; to see you, get the cat and stroll around - i have my hands full helping the cats in this area - the feed store delivers a truck load of cat and dog food to my farm every 2 weeks on my dime - they do give me a discount - Ellen has donated Halo also - i have places all over that i put food & water - my honey has built dozens of feeders to protect the food and water from the weather - we do what we can and it keeps us busy - fortunately all of our friends help too

veronika23

wow! amazing.  You sound exactly like one of my friends... Long lost twin? :smileywink:

anaa

Currently I have 4; my beautiful black cat  was found on the street as a bitty kitten and brought to me and my guy cat's original owner didn't want him any more, so he came to live with me.  Two of my cats are from Petsmart, who works with the local shelter finding forever homes.  I highly recommend them because the cats/kittens are spayed/neuteredbefore they put them up for adoption.  My neighborhood unfortunately has many, many strays and it's really heartbreaking. 

Titian06

National Cat Day?  Really?  How awesome!  All of the cats who have owned me over the years have all been adopted.  I will never do it any other way!

oklady2013

Thanks for putting this up. We have 4 dogs we rescued &  1 cat who we rescued because she, as my husband puts it,  "came with the house". She was a stray that had been hanging out for about 12-18 months according to the neighbors. She was slinking around our legs the day we looked at the house, when he had the inspection & on moving day. LOL. Approximately a month later HRH decided to live here. I try to  adopt from shelters or rescue groups. They can always use donations & volunteers.

spoiledbrat

PLEASE SPAY AND NEUTER

emmaclaire

This is such a great post!  Also, if everyone can try to keep in mind that some shelters are high-kill - which is exactly what it sounds like.  Organizations like the Humane Society as well as smaller, local organizations often work very hard to locate animals about to be put to death in high-kill shelters and rescue them, giving them another chance for a long and happy life.

If you don't have cash to spare (especially around the holidays) don't forget that you can donate your time!  Animals shelters can always use more volunteers to help their doors stay open, and would be happy to have even just an hour or two per week.  Think of the kittens :smileytongue:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 35 replies
  • 162 hearts
  • 21 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • mberteig
    • anaa
    • emmaclaire
    • spoiledbrat
    • pearlgirl7