beautylovingirl

THEY DO SEPHORA DOESN'T

Hi Ladies,

As I look around at other stores I see that they offer great gifts with purchase or exclusives to their customers in store and online and I was wondering why Sephora doesn't offer these when they carry the same products as these other stores.

1930sbella

Re: THEY DO SEPHORA DOESN'T

For me its not so much purchase exclusives, but the samples. Whenever I go to beauty/cosmetics store your lucky if they give you one measly little sample when you buy stuff. When we lived in France everytime we went to the perfume stores they would load you with samples. I remember the first time I bought a perfume they gave me about 7 full fragrance samples. Anyways I personally would like to see cosmetic stores be way less skimpy on the samples.

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

@latinadiva- I wanted to add one more thing but I can't edit so I have to start another post. I just wanted to say I started this post for discussion and I'm glad you expressed what you feel because everyone knows that there would be no BT if everything were one sided. :smileyhappy:

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

@latinadiva- Nothing taken as negative everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion. I guess the point I'm trying to make is compare the size of the samples that Estee Lauder, Lancôme, or clinque give when they have a gift w/purchase and then compare the size and selection we get from Sephora. I also make the point of the exclusives that others carry I don't see anything offered like 2 jumbo lotions that normally would cost a consumer 96.00 but you can get for 33.00 just deals like that would be great. Another great thing for VIB's and the VIB Rouge level don't you think it would be great just to have one deluxe sample put in just because your at that level and you've spent that much money, to me Rouge level deserve 2 deluxe samples just as a way for Sephora to say "Thanks" for spending that amount of money or as a reminder  "Hey we're certainly thinking about you and appreciate you". But yeah everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I appreciate your input.

latinadiva

(0) Hearts

Don't get me wrong, I love the freebies! It just seems like some people overshadow what they got because there was no gift and it's like...you just got that awesome palette though...I definitely tailor my shopping. Like you mentioned sometimes other stores offer the jumbo sized products (I know Ulta does often) or the big sizes at a discount, blah blah. So I'll be honest, I go elsewhere when I want them. Take the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale. They had some awesome kits that I just embarrassingly spent way too much money on. I don't usually buy too many cosmetics from Nordstrom, for whatever reason, but then I did because I wanted the bargains. It's all about cocktailing your purchases haha

Like I said though this is something that honestly just intrigues me with the consumer market. I think you can see variations of it all over, so it's interesting to see the differences.

kenny

I agree with "tailoring" shopping. I only bother to go to department stores for GWP, when I'm going to be getting something anyways, or somewhere has a deal

latinadiva

I've commented on this topic in the past so I'll start this again by saying I really don't mean to be negative or anything, just my overall opinion. This topic comes up on here constantly and I really find myself so curious as to when we as consumers became the almighty consumers that deserve what we want, when we want it because we're spending money. In theory, any store offering a GWP is no different than a Sephora GWP. Let's say Macy's is running a GWP for Lancome. I have to spend probably $35. Typically the standard for Lancome GWP. The typical standard for a Sephora GWP? Spending $35. So what's the difference? Because Macy's gives you a bag that will most likely collect dust in your closet? Or a shade of lipstick that doesn't look good on 95% of consumers? Or better yet, the shade of lipstick that was in the previous three GWPs? Or the quad with shadows that don't have the same quality as a single shade? PLEASE don't get me wrong, I love a good GWP as much as the next person. But for me personally, when Sephora offers a GWP, it's usually the GWP sucking me in to make a purchase, while in a Macy's lets say, I'm usually going because I need something from Lancome and was waiting for the perk. I truly stopped worrying about department store GWP perks years ago because I just don't need anymore of the same mascara, or the same eyeliner, or the same lipstick. I legit have like...four or five quads from Lancome GWPs and I don't touch any of them. I totally understand that it feels awesome to get a little sample with your purchase, who doesn't love it? I just got a sample of the new MUFE mascara when I went to Sephora Inside JCP and was stoked because it was something I had wanted to try (side note..not that spectacular). But hey, that sample saved me money. But as I've mentioned in other threads, for me personally, I'm not spending money anywhere, whether it's Sephora or Macy's or somewhere like Target or Kohl's just to get a free gift. Is it a perk? Of course it is. But at the end of the day, if I want those products, I'm not going to like them any less because I didn't get a free item with it. Do I wish Sephora had more 20% off coupons or samples..sure. Although perhaps not because I'd probably have an even bigger shopping problem....but it doesn't make me shop at Sephora any less because they don't have those things. And to us it feels like the brands like Lancome, Clinique, Estee Lauder, etc. offer GWPs constantly..but in reality it's because the department stores cycle through them. So first it's at Macy's, the Lord & Taylor has one, then Nordstrom. They bounce from department store to department store while Sephora is only one store. If you looked at just one store, they probably offer hardly anything more in one brand than Sephora offers. So the same way you wait to make your purchases when there is a GWP in a department store, you could essentially hold off for a GWP or coupon at Sephora.

Again, really not trying to be negative. It's honestly just something that intrigues me about the consumer market today.

joeanne

I too gave up on most Department store GWP a few years back. I used to hunt them down, but like you said, I'd end up with 3 tubes of lipstick that I really didn't like, moisturizer that I'd give away, etc.  Now I keep an eye out just for those brands I already use. I watch the Philosphy and Origins sites for percent off specials because I use a lot of their products. But other than that, I pretty much stick with Sephora. I like to browse online, and I like to wander the store too. I guess it's just what I feel comfortable with!

Luxeface86

Yea, it also doesn't help that you can't get these GWP's in-store... they are online only. I love walking out of a department store with free stuff in tow because I just dropped $50-$100 on some goodies and will often tip the scale just so I can get the free goods.

poshified

(0) Hearts

I don't feel as bad returning (still feeling guilty, of course) returning items back to Sephora, whereas if I were to return products back to department stores, it sometimes takes away sales associates' commission.

beautylovingirl

I understand how everyone feels but I do disagree that you have to be a big spender to get good deluxe samples at other stores. Sure Sephora offers perks but hardly ever a choice of deluxe sizes or gifts w/purchase that don't cost anything extra or to purchase certain amounts before you can get them. VIB's and in fact all shoppers have to spend a certain amount to get their so called "free gifts" and the samples given are just not that exciting to me. For instance I know Sephora doesn't carry Ahava but  Nordstrom has two Jumbo size mineral body lotions for 33.00 and they are normally 96.00 for both  and I don't see why Sephora doesn't make exclusive deals like that with Philosophy or some of the other bath and body lines that they carry. It feels good to me that Nordstrom will get these deals so their customers can profit some on these products. I love Sephora it's not that, this is just my personal opinion and it's also the reason I'm not Rouge. It's not just the GWP it's the products that you can get exceptional values on like the Ahava product I mentioned above also like Bobbi Brown's brush sets and Laura Mercier's brush sets they have crazy prices on them right now and with Sephora having the same brands it's just making the point I feel that Sephora could work harder to bring the same things to us. Thanks everyone for your input.:smileyhappy:

ghkim

[ Edited ]

that's what i'm wondering too. i really hope this rouge program will make up for it. i do tend to shop at sephora a lot though because other websites like beauty dotcom don't carry the stuff i like that is exclusive to sephora (makeup forever, illamasqua, buxom). also i like to shop other brands that usually don't offer gwp and are also not well represented at other sites (urban decay, occ). when it comes to some brands that are well represented on other websites like beauty.com or beautybar or dermstore or skinstore or apothica (like murad, anastasia, l'occitane), i definitely buy at the other website because they often have 20% off or 25% off promotions. if sephora ever offered a 25% off promotion, i'd be in huge trouble!

kalex

[ Edited ]

I've definitely noticed this too!  It's the reason I'm not "Rouge" - I shop elsewhere often to take advantage of the offers!

You can really score on Beauty dotcom.  They often have the $100 purchase sample-filled bag and you can get to the $100 by purchasing other "gwp" items.

Recently I spent $40 on Origins to get a free eye cream, $30 (i think) on UD to get a free primer, and then the additional $ to reach $100.  It was like Christmas!

Depending on other ladies' feedback I may stop doing this if Rouge is worth it.

wendyomgwar

beauty.com does amazing GWP too! They'll even have full sized GWP pretty often. I'm honestly not sure, sometimes Sephora does good with multi-sample perks and other times I'm just purchasing on Sephora because I just like the format of the website... true shizz.

ChicDabbler

But beauty.com GWP has never exceed $25 (for the past yr at least). They do have great offers, I got half size Origins Brighter by Nature peel pad and full size of Caudalie Beauty Elixir (travel size).

Sephora doesn't have super good promotions often, but when they do, it's better (full size Origins Plantscription eye cream with $35 purchase, kit of deluxe/minis from different brands). I think if you are a big spender, other sites might be better. But if you don't order very often, then it's a good deal. At least that's my experience.

wendyomgwar

I just like the full size offers lol. And I totally missed out on the eye cream D: whaat!! I feel so cheated lol but I'm a fan of the deluxe minis from brands I live for those promotions! They are way to few and far though!

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

that's why if you don't buy often, Sephora's great. But if you lots every week, then there's not enough good perks for it.

mafan

They do have some gifts for specific brands. But I think that Sephora focuses on gifts to advertise/promote certain products or to reward general buying. A lot of the department store gifts require a definite level of purchase of that brand. (Some of the purchase price points  of the GWP items at Nordstrom amaze me at how high they are.)

I expect their deals with manufacturers are different. I know if I want to buy a certain amount from one brand, I'll see what stores are offering. But if I just want one thing, especially if it's not that expensive, I'd rather use a general Sephora code and get the points to use for something, too. 

Kiki1517

I agree, I've wondered the same thing but haven't really taken advantage of GWP at other stores because you usually have to buy a certain amount of product from one specific brand and I usually buy from several brands at a time.

poshified

Honestly, why Sephora carries lines like Clinique, Lancome, and Estee Lauder baffles me. Why? Because department stores are always holding GWP events of some sort with those lines. I guess Sephora makes up for it by having a few friends and family events in a year...?

nebel

Agreed, I never buy Lancome at sephora, always at lord and taylor or nordstrom, because they have such amazing GWPs! You can double the amount of product you get for the same $$

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 26 replies
  • 48 hearts
  • 18 in conversation
    • kalex
    • kenny
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • wendyomgwar
    • janinebt
    • poshified