starletta8

Starletta8's Summer of No Buy Support Thread

So, it's time to go on an extended no buy. I have more than I could ever enjoy for quite awhile.  However, if you have gotten to know me a bit- it's going to be easier said than done!

So, this thread is hopefully going to be a support group for me- and anyone else who wants to join me in a summer of no buy.

The tricky thing is that I've got about 40% of my toner left and maybe 20% of my daytime moisturizer- and I see pan on my HG concealer.  I have to buy the concealer since it's a staple product (and I have used up all of the other concealers that match my skin). I'd like to use up some skincare before repurchasing my daytime moisturizer- but if my skin reacts, I'll revisit the issue.

When will the no buy end?  I'm not sure, but fall collections will be on counters, if not on the leaves!

starletta8

Re: Starletta8's Summer of No Buy Support Thread

Your ring leader has slipped- but I'm actually ok with it. I'm climbing back on the wagon, though.  Watch this rationale...

• Reward for totally locking down my wallet the last 2 weeks.  Including gas, groceries, and prescriptions- I spent $72 over 2 weeks.  It was out of necessity (the cutback) but I was able to save a bit.
  • However, it made me feel totally deprived.  So when another home repair cost about $1000 less than I was thinking (note: not that I had that extra $1000 sitting around), I bought the things I needed, and allowed myself to buy a couple of my loves I've been itching to try.

I still have a need to rebuild my emergency funds and I've bought most of the things I really need/uber want. (I deliberately held off on the Clinique 7-day scrub. I'm holding out for GWP time!).  So, back on the wagon...

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

Think of it like a a diet. If you don't indulge every once in a while you'll end up going on a binge. Set goals & limits & reward yourself when you stick to them. I can't wait to see what you got! 

starletta8

Right, but some people are awesome at going cold turkey!

I used to order 2 or 3 times a week online, make 1 or 2 in-store purchases.  These were my first 2 (for promos) orders online, with only one store purchase for a legit need. In almost a month.

Not bad considering the amount I scaled back.  And I didn't just buy elsewhere LOL.

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

It seems like i haven't ordered anything in months! But i just checked and it's been one month exactly. Felt like so much longer! But now i'm looking more into only purchasing things i really need cause i would love to spend the extra money i save on my future niece or nephew!

starletta8

(0) Hearts

I should mention- I bought my FAB shave cream. Not from Sephora, but directly from the brand. Why? I bought the big one that should probably last me until the end of 2013 (it took 6 months of regular but not daily use to use the 2oz).  I know Sephora used to carry it, but all I see is the small one now. Hmm...

ginger304

wow reading thru this thread I feel like I fooound my soul sisters!!my hubby thinks I am the only one who is addicted to all this stuff..he laughs because I took down my closet curtains so I can look at all my clothes,shoes purses etc while I am in bed!!!lucky for me he thinks its cute.had t buy a bigger make up table last year because my other one was too small for everything...now my bigger one is getting really really cramped..he offered to buy me a train case to help me organize everything!! I do alot my shopping on line middle of the night,i have insomnia.my neighbor laughs because the ups guy knows my 1st name and waves hi all the time..ave any of you ladies signed up for ebates??awesome..they pay you to shop on line and they have all the great store..macys, bloomingdales,sephora.i get a check every 3 months from them..its ebates.com..you should look I to it if you havnt already.well time to get back to my Sephora order..have a great week ladies...just remember we are great am ericans for keeping the economy going!!lol

sephoralovex

(0) Hearts

I love Ebates! Most of the cash back I get is from Sephora! Great way to earn some cash back :smileyhappy:

starletta8

I have the Ebates toolbar, and I'm up to $851.38 lifetime now. :smileyhappy:

arielaaaaaaaa

I was doing so good on the No Buy! But i was really wanting a Bronzer and that turned into a $200+ order!! Oh well!! No buy for me is over! My birthday is in a few weeks and i have a ton of more stuff i am wanting to try!! I just hope i get enough gift cards!!I think  i went a month and a half without buying anything so that itself is already a good accomplishment!!

colorobsession

arielaaaaaaaa, it looks like you, myself, and drragon all have birthdays coming up the first week of July! I've been trying to keep my spending at bay until after I see what I'm gifted to go treat myself. Apparently there's a new OCC lip tar set that I might just have to have :-)

drrragon

hey! early July birthday girls club! :smileyvery-happy:

I'm so terrified that I'll let myself run amok in Sephora just because it's my birthday and end up buying tons of stuff I won't need....but really WANT!   

I've been pretty good in May and so far in June about only buying what I need.....but on my birthday all bets are off! :smileyhappy:

colorobsession

(0) Hearts

Haha yes, I agree! I keep adding to the list of "birthday presents for myself". My worst offense is buying stuff for myself right around my birthday, especially when I see a great deal or I know there is limited stock of something. I just ordered a pair of mint green crochets from Toms yesterday, case in point. They had free shipping that ends today, and I had a coupon code...how could I pass it up???

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

I want that set too!! I've had my eye on the color Grandma! I think i would use all of them except for one!!! I wanted to purchase the lip tar duo with the matching polish but i decided to hold out till my birthday!! Mine is July 5th and i can't wait!! My whole family knows that i either want a Sephora Gift card or just plain money to go buy from Sephora!! 

colorobsession

Mine is July 3rd :-) My parents gave me money to put toward a DSLR camera that I just recently purchased as a birthday present, so I know there won't be any Sephora enabling there. But my friends and other family know I'm obsessed enough with makeup. I also have been saving up my Discover cashback bonus, and will probably redeem it for a Sephora e-certificate that I will use to treat myself. 

beautylovingirl

I'll never join this I'm too much of a rebel:smileytongue:

sephoralovex

[ Edited ]

I think it's time for me to join. I tried to go one month without buying anything back in feb. but it didn't work. Literally the next day i bought some items.. haha. The only exception to this no buy is my IPSY Monthly Glam Bag. Since I cant unsub for this month anymore.

I think I'll start with a 1 month no buy. I am determined to get through this successfully! Will keep you updated! :smileyhappy: Wish me luck.

sephoralovex

Well... Just broke my 1 month no buy... I ordered some new makeup and brushes today. Well at least I tried and lasted 5 days..

colorobsession

(0) Hearts

Use that will power! You can do it! :-) You're already doing great so far! I'm sorry to hear that you had some unexpected expenses pop up. Those are basically the worst. Last year I had an assessment on my condo of $600 right around Christmas. So much for my year-end bonus :-\  

Anyway, there will always be new and fun things to tempt us, and odds are something really amazing won't crop up until the end of summer. Hopefully, the waiting and saving will be worth it! I bought some new bins to organize my beauty products and had some fun going through my stash and sorting/putting everything away. Having a chance to see my beauty collection as a whole definitely rekindled the no-buy and 10-pan-esque spirit in me! I really don't NEED anything for quite a while, and I have Birchbox/Ipsy to keep my shopping/exploring temptation at bay.

starletta8

(0) Hearts

ITKIT and the AmorePacific are making it tough!!

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

Amore is tough but itkit is ok. Sephora have kit promos like those ~twice a year at least so you still have a chance in the fall. Some of the deluxe samples are offered/recycled many times. You can get those perfume samples any time any where. The mascara, powder, Sephora stuff and lip products I've seen as promo and perks before. So, that leaves only ~2 items in each bag that may or may not appear as promo/perks in the future.

I was only able to resist itkit cuz there's only 1 deluxe I want the Laura Mercier polish, and I'm willing to bet it will reappear before I finish using my curren supply of scrubs (2 full tubes, at least a year's worth).

starletta8

(0) Hearts

Still no purchases- not even the FAB shave cream!  I'll pick that up Friday, though.  If the appliance repair costs less than I thought, it's going to be rough not to treat myself...

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 199 replies
  • 188 hearts
  • 34 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • sephoramusthave
    • ginger304
    • sephoralovex
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • melissabt