starletta8

Starletta8's Summer of No Buy Support Thread

So, it's time to go on an extended no buy. I have more than I could ever enjoy for quite awhile.  However, if you have gotten to know me a bit- it's going to be easier said than done!

So, this thread is hopefully going to be a support group for me- and anyone else who wants to join me in a summer of no buy.

The tricky thing is that I've got about 40% of my toner left and maybe 20% of my daytime moisturizer- and I see pan on my HG concealer.  I have to buy the concealer since it's a staple product (and I have used up all of the other concealers that match my skin). I'd like to use up some skincare before repurchasing my daytime moisturizer- but if my skin reacts, I'll revisit the issue.

When will the no buy end?  I'm not sure, but fall collections will be on counters, if not on the leaves!

starletta8

Re: Starletta8's Summer of No Buy Support Thread

I really am lucky!

(This also may have been a thank-you for helping him weed and mulch so that he could watch auto racing all day and night-or so it seemed- on Sunday.)

MoreGun89

(0) Hearts

I think I may need to cave and get the Versace Bright Crystal perfume, I tried it the other day, and it smelled like a slightly more sophisticated version of a perfume I used to wear over a decade ago, I couldn't stop smiling when I caught a whiff of it!  

starletta8

I took an advance on one of the purchases I mentioned in my initial post out of pure emotional shock today.  I now have enough concealer to get me through the rest of the summer.

It was a moment of "I just had to spend several thousand dollars, what the heck is 20-some more?".

Yeah. I bought a new AC unit today.  I might be on a no-buy aside from things I legitimately run out of (ie skincare, foundation, etc) until further notice.  And further notice hopefully will be before New Years'.

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

Aww, *hug*. Lol, if we live near each other we should totally do a swap, a couple of your nail polish for my 5-6 deluxe/mini foundation (liquid, pressed and loose powder) and the 2-3 sample packets.

Yeah, my retail of the month is going to be a pair of boots instead of a Sephora order (not feelin' it). I tend to walk on the outside of my feet, so there's almost .75in difference between the left/right edge of the heel for my 5yr old leather boots (a new pair only cost $20-$30 more than the cost of resole, so I'm getting new ones. Bye bye, pink camofloudge).

starletta8

I bet I'm way pasty, LOL.

Boots are good! I have a pair of Cole Haan heels sitting by my door waiting to go to the cobbler for new heel caps.  They've been there for weeks!

I started working through some of my samples and now I want tinted moisturizer. :smileysad:

On the flip side, I had to go to the outlet mall (I needed to pick up corn on the cob dishes and those little forks you stick in the end since I have corn- and no way to serve it).  I was actually in two of those outlets that sell makeup- stuck to my no-buy! Woot!

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

@starletta8 how much do you usually pay for your heel caps?

There are some other options out there (I think Target has a kit for $5)?

Sorry to hear about your AC unit. that is terrible! We had to replace our central heat & Air unit last winter and it was like $4k! 

Do you have any unopened items from recent purchases that you could return?  Like items that are not necessary? That way you could afford skincare/foundation. :smileyhappy: 

starletta8

@roxystar4 It's minimal (less than $15), it's just a matter of remembering to grab the shoes and go to the cobbler.  I'll always pay a pro for my few very good pairs of heels (this is one of them) since they're long-term investments.

Yeah, I was shocked by it- I'll have to purchase an entire new system in another 5-7 years.  At least that gives me time to budget and save.  So much for the kitchen upgrades I've been eyeing.

I actually ran into one of the items I've been mulling at the outlets the other day. (Full sized Clinique 7-day scrub cream). We'll see how long the deluxe sample lasts me- I'm not much of an exfoliater girl, but during the summer I like making sure all of my sunscreen is off. Even a month ago, I would've bought without thinking. Now, I passed it by.

roxystar4

@starletta8 I am glad you passed on the scrub. Esp if you still have a sample you can use. Nice work!

I dont blame you for wanting to get a professional to fix your nice shoes. I have a few cheaper ones that could use new heel caps & am going to try the target kit for those.

sephoramusthave

(0) Hearts

I know I *need* to do this, I just don't know if I wanna lol. I'm on project 10 pan for skincare/fragrance already....okay fine. Summer for me means June and July so I'll do a all around no buy for all things beauty related during those months only. I'll buy things only if I run out of something completely.

sephoramusthave

(0) Hearts

I forgot to mention that I had a flat last week on the way home from work and I ended up needing to buy all new tires, which set me back a good 500 bucks. So yes, I needz this no buy.

>_<

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

Stay strong! You can do it! I've got the 1oz of Laura Mercier TM and Boots no7 TM. They are pretty nice since I almost never wear foundation.

I almost brought boots but decided I can wait until fall. I did buy a pair of silver sneakers with studded toes cuz I have a $10 off from Kohls and it was $19.99. Ha, now I feel like one of those hipster teens.

And you are making me craving corn...

starletta8

(0) Hearts

My dilemma is that it'll be as expensive as buying a new foundation. I'm faithful to foundation during the work week, so TM wouldn't be a bad purchase- aside from the fact it's a purchase.

Those sneakers sound like fun!

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

@starletta8- I knew you could breeze right through it.:smileyhappy: And yes you have a humongo nail polish collection that is absolutely amazeballs and it's like you said you won't need any for a looooong time:smileyhappy:

starletta8

How's the no-buy going for everyone else?

I finally admitted the size of my nail polish stash- it's clear that I don't have a need for more nail polish, save base and top coats, for 15 years. :smileyvery-happy:

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

Your nail polish collection is truly impressive (how do you keep your polish/mascara etc from going bad/dry out??? I get paranoid after 2-3 yrs).

Unintentionally but no-buy is going well. I resisted Murad VitC peel promo cuz I don't do peels often in the summer. I resisted the sun safety kit cuz I only want 3 or 4 items, which is not enough to justify the price. I'm in the middle of talking myself out of the Hello Kitty and brushes in the sales section. The only definite purchase I know is that whenever the next Disney princess is coming out, I'm ordering the second I see it. period. But I heard that's in the fall, so I'm safe for now. *phew*

starletta8

[ Edited ]

Aside from these last two days, my polishes have always been stored in a climate-controlled environment between 65 and 73 degrees, year-round.  I also never expose them to sunlight long-term- and (again, until NOW) keep them in a non-humid environment. That seems to do well.

Mascara I toss faithfully.  I'm less concerned with polish since it shouldn't be in my eyes!

And you don't need the brushes!  Wait for a really cool set!

starletta8

Like THESE:

BNever_1.jpg

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Omg those are gorgeous! What brand? where did you get them?!?!

Lol, when I need to talk myself out of something, I just sort reviews by lowest ratings and read the ones that are <3 stars. Instead of beauty purchases I don't need, I'm saving money and starting to look for a replacement for my worn out pink camoflaudge cowboy boots. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anything as unique and good quality and <$100 right now. =/

starletta8

(0) Hearts

Those are from the dearly departed B Never 2 Busy 2 Be Beautiful (B Never) brand- Lush's former UK cosmetics brand.

Just a nice example of why it's better to hold out for the unique items sometimes.

I'm really hoping the AC doesn't cost too much because I just saw one of my HG handbags on Gilt for ridiculously cheap. Like as cheap as I paid at the outlet for the outlet version of the purse on uber sale cheap.

roxystar4

@starletta8 I agree with beauty tester - these brushes are really beautiful.

beautylovingirl

@starletta8- Sending Happy thoughts your way!!!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 199 replies
  • 188 hearts
  • 34 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • sephoramusthave
    • ginger304
    • sephoralovex
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • melissabt