starletta8

Starletta8's Summer of No Buy Support Thread

So, it's time to go on an extended no buy. I have more than I could ever enjoy for quite awhile.  However, if you have gotten to know me a bit- it's going to be easier said than done!

So, this thread is hopefully going to be a support group for me- and anyone else who wants to join me in a summer of no buy.

The tricky thing is that I've got about 40% of my toner left and maybe 20% of my daytime moisturizer- and I see pan on my HG concealer.  I have to buy the concealer since it's a staple product (and I have used up all of the other concealers that match my skin). I'd like to use up some skincare before repurchasing my daytime moisturizer- but if my skin reacts, I'll revisit the issue.

When will the no buy end?  I'm not sure, but fall collections will be on counters, if not on the leaves!

beautylovingirl

Re: Starletta8's Summer of No Buy Support Thread

@Starletta8- Aww! I'm sorry about your air we have central heat and air and ours went out about 2 years ago  and it was in the middle of summer it was TERRIBLE! I feel for you and I hope it gets fixed sooon.:smileyhappy:

starletta8

Thanks, beautylovingirl!  I'm in the home stretches now.

starletta8

Well, my no-buy might be even longer than I was planning.

My AC died last night... and I live in part of the country where not having AC isn't an option. It's already been an incredibly hot 24 hours- and it will be at least 36 more before I can get a repairman.  Even if it only needs freon, that will set me back significant money.

This no-buy was timely.

ChicDabbler

Ouch, that's a bummer. Yeah, I keep forgetting random taxes, my yearly website hosting fee, and replacing big item things that inevitably happens every year. If you can't have temporary window unit.....all I can think of is open all your windows at night, get a nice big fan, and put some bowls of ice around. I don't know if it's just an asian thing but I also have a bamboo/straw mat for bed and pillow cover, which definitely helps.

Be strong! I find re-organizing my stash helps when retail temptation gets too strong, but that's just me. >.<

DTalksAll

UGH! That sucks! But YAY for No Buy! 

Our old place doesn't have AC (well we put in window units during the summer) & it's been so hot & humid the past 2 days that I'm putting my foot down & forcing us to move this weekend to the new house that has central air. 

arielaaaaaaaa

Aw i totally feel for you. Our AC always always always messes up right when summer starts. It's hot year round where i am but summer is unbearable! I know mine is going to go out soon. We have a back up window unit in the living room so when it happens i sleep in there. I hope yours gets fixed fast! Good luck.

AlwaysGlamorous

:smileysad: I'm so sorry about that Starletta. Unexpected costs are the worst and I definitely feel for you on that one--my car broke down last month and it was anything but cheap. Sending positive vibes wherever you may be! 

starletta8

(0) Hearts

Thanks, arielaaaaaaaa and AlwaysGlamorous.I had to go sit in the car once it hit 80 inside. Unfortunately, window units are against HOA regulations- so I get to sweat for awhile longer.

DTalksAll

I thought my most recent purchase will hold me over for a while until I checked my e-mail this morning & got a 100 GC from my friend. So now what... I'm going to wait until there's a better perk to place an order, but $100 goes quickly. It's going to be tough not to go over budget. 

roxystar4

:smileyhappy:  that is nice of your friend!

DTalksAll

I know right! Her boyfriend was trying to convince her to get something for the new house... but she knows me too well! :smileyhappy: 

starletta8

Just checking in- after slipping twice last week, I haven't even thought of buying anything for the past two days.  I know soon enough two days will become four, etc, etc, etc...

roxystar4

nice work the past two days! 

For me, if I am really into something, if I can divert my attention and get hooked on another thing, it helps keep me away from the first thing Im addicted to!

starletta8

On the flip side, I already skipped one of my monthly subscriptions, and I anticipate a skip coming on another Monday morning (since *cough* I upgraded last month to the whole honkin' collection).  I'm making baby steps here!

Normally at an in-store event, I would've bought something from my face... especially when I was in lust with it like today.  If nothing else, I learned my NARS foundation color (Mount Blanc rather than the Siberia I guessed online) for future reference- and possible future purchase when I'm out.

starletta8

I also found a home for half of my samples!

I gave my mother a small bag full of samples on Mothers' Day and she's been going crazy.  Self admittedly she "buys Cover Girl at the grocery store for gas points with a coupon"- but will totally use nicer products, provided it's no money out of her pocket.

Two birds, one stone.  My mother gets far nicer products, I make some serious headway on my samples.  We all win.

melissabt

@Roxystar4,

Offer ends May 19, 2013 at 11:59 p.m. PST!

Visit: http://www.sephora.com/fragrance and scroll to the bottom for more information. Thanks!

<3 Melissa
roxystar4

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

ok, i can read. May 1st. 

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

how do I know if a fragrance is qualifies? thanks!

starletta8

If it's a fragrance, it qualifies. Any pricepoint, any form (Rollerball vs spray vs hair mist).

If it's a body product with fragrance, no dice.

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

gotcha. I was thinking some rollerballs may not count. Thanks for the info

starletta8

Rollerballs count!

Confession time: in my final haul photos you'll see the mini-Marchesa rollerball.  While it's great to keep in my bag, I totally wanted the triple points. :smileytongue:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 199 replies
  • 188 hearts
  • 34 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • sephoramusthave
    • ginger304
    • sephoralovex
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • melissabt