starletta8

Starletta8's Summer of No Buy Support Thread

So, it's time to go on an extended no buy. I have more than I could ever enjoy for quite awhile.  However, if you have gotten to know me a bit- it's going to be easier said than done!

So, this thread is hopefully going to be a support group for me- and anyone else who wants to join me in a summer of no buy.

The tricky thing is that I've got about 40% of my toner left and maybe 20% of my daytime moisturizer- and I see pan on my HG concealer.  I have to buy the concealer since it's a staple product (and I have used up all of the other concealers that match my skin). I'd like to use up some skincare before repurchasing my daytime moisturizer- but if my skin reacts, I'll revisit the issue.

When will the no buy end?  I'm not sure, but fall collections will be on counters, if not on the leaves!

starletta8

Re: Starletta8's Summer of No Buy Support Thread

I'm literally restraining myself right now- Le Metier de Beaute is on Hautelook right now.  I'm in love with my one lipstick from the line...I popped on there to look for work clothes, not makeup!

roxystar4

dont do it. something will come along this fall that is an even better deal

starletta8

I was going through my emails and saw a Kate Spade flash sale announcement I meant to click on this AM- I spent my LMdB money on the very ring I was looking for at the outlets over the weekend, on awesome sale.

So, yes, you're right!

makeupobesessed

(0) Hearts

What's LMdB stand for???  I never know what anything stands for...

starletta8

(0) Hearts

Le Metier de Beaute- awesome, under-the-radar brand that's at a handful of Nordstroms, Neimans, and possibly Saks. Prices are equivalent with Chanel/Dior.

starletta8

Day #2 and I had to stop myself from just stopping by Ulta or Sephora on my way home from work- then I almost started browsing the website.

This is going to be harder than I thought.

starletta8

(0) Hearts

Day #3 temptation(s):

• Got an email for two events I want to attend at 2 different Sephoras this week.  I may go to the one and try to be in line to get one of the gift cards they're giving away to the first 100.  If I get one large enough, that's how I'll deal with the future toner/daytime moisturizer loss since it's not money out of my pocket. But being in a Sephora and not buying is going to be ugly.
  • Temptation #2: I don't need it, but I want the other YSL Tie & Dye topcoat so I have the full collection.  It'll seem even that way!
starletta8

(0) Hearts

OK, I'm partially saved from the re-opening event.  It's today, not tomorrow, so I will be at work (like 90% of people in my area) when they give out the gift cards.

My compromise: I printed the free tote email and will call before I leave work to see if they still have one. If they do, I'll pick up either cotton rounds or another retractable lip brush (both essentials, my Shiseido balm has taken over the brush I have, leaving me none

for lip color). I can look, play, get samples- but those are the only 2 possibilities that fit into my no-buy.

consolvo

(0) Hearts

You may need to find a different route home from work! *giggle*

I managed to go to Sephora today and leave with all free stuff. w00t! I got 2 100pt items (Algenist Pore Gel & Dior Essential One), my birthday gifty and a sample of Glam Glo. It was a good feeling and the cashier even congratulated me! ha!

DTalksAll

I'm trying to do a no impulse, no buy LOL! There area few staples I need like a waterproof mascara, SPF, a new night serum and a new lightweight night cream. I got a sample of the Perricone Blue Plasma (YUCK it smells like fish, but it works) and am experimenting with my moisturizers for a good combo. All of mine are too heavy & leave me feeling greasy in the morning. I might have to crack & purchase OH Sheer Transformation to go with it. Oh & I guess purchase the Blue Plasma. I have items in my cart that I "need" to purchase, just waiting on the sun kit to come out. After that, I'm done for a while.

I did some major spring cleaning while packing for moving. I purged a lot of items that were old & I never used, but found I have so many eyeliners and samples.  

lovelyred139

I may join you on this.  I'm a grad student, so the summer means no income.  To top it off, my cat needs dental work and I'm moving in the fall.  The numbers are practically adding themselves up.

If anyone can recommend a fantastic drugstore facial sunscreen (SPF 30 or higher, something that won't make my face greasy), I'd be much obliged.  I'm also looking to replace what high end staples I can with something more affordable for the time being, and sunscreen's first on the chopping block.  I've been eyeing Neutrogena's Sheer Dry Touch, but I've heard conflicting things.

lulabelle55

(0) Hearts

Cetaphil makes some good sunscreens.

crayzeeRN

(0) Hearts

Neutrogena Sheer Dry Touch is amazing. Love the stuff- I break out with tons of products, but have never had problems here. Neutrogena also makes a sunscreen specifically for the face- Neutrogena Clear Face Sunscreen Lotion (SPF 55) which I have used regularly and have not broken out with either. Both products kept me from getting burned all last summer. The best part about both is that they are broad spectrum and protect you from UVA and UVB rays :smileyhappy:

Gamergirl24

I am in.

roxystar4

You can do it Starletta8!  It is going to be challenging but I know you can. I like the idea of having a goal in mind, that way, it is something to work towards :smileyhappy:

starletta8

(0) Hearts

Exactly.  Enjoying things, saving money... yeah, those are great but I enjoy playing with new products so I don't want to feel deprived.

WhereYouStand

kudos to you!!! wow I'm impressed your going on a no buying makeup wallet cleansing mission!!! I couldn't do it...at least I need more time...I failed @ project 10 pan in the first four days !!! I am no where near ready for this but I encourage you on your ongoing quest to not buy makeup until fall! you'll be able to buy some pretty pennies worth of fall geared makeup when you get to the finishline just remember that & hang in there!

starletta8

(0) Hearts

Let me be clear: this isn't meant to be a punishment, and we're going to walk the fine line between supporting and enabling!

I just need to figure out how to be able to buy legitimate staple things when I'm actually out (cotton rounds, nail polish remover, makeup remover wipes, etc) without buying all sorts of things I don't need.

quenbee

@Starletta8 - I totally support you in this no buy endeavor, and I think I will also join you!    There is strength in numbers!!!!!

buzzbee3

Lol I think there are quite a few of us who need a support group!

sephoramusthave

(0) Hearts

Well I failed. :smileysad:

I found 2 awesome Ecotools kits at Big Lots that were $4.50 and $5.00 and I love them sooo much! I will use every single brush, really do *need* more brushes, found the perfect highlighting brush in one of the sets, and both kits came with either a makeup bag or a cup for storing brushes in.

Am I allowed a start over?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 199 replies
  • 188 hearts
  • 34 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • sephoramusthave
    • ginger304
    • sephoralovex
    • arielaaaaaaaa