nanobear18

Splurge or save??

So, I thought this would be a fun, informative post that will be helpful to a lot of people. Basically, I will say my favorite bargain and expensive item for each makeup category, and which one I prefer, the splurge or the save. Please respond your splurge or save items, I think this will be a fun post! :3) (feel free to skip categories if you haven't tried any or don't use it) 

foundation

splurge : amazing cosmetics velvet mineral foundation 

save : maybelline dream fresh BB cream 

winner 

save!!! It give good coverage, feels light, and is great for summer as it has spf  30!! 

Blush 

splurge : tarter Amazonian clay blush in tipsy 

save : sonia kashuk blush in pretty pink 

winner 

splurge!! It lasts all day and color is great. Also very pigmented. 

Eyeliner 

splurge : mac tecnnekhol in photograve 

save : rimmel exaggerate 

winner 

it is a tie! I love both for their pigmentation, and long lasting power 

mascara 

splurge : Mac zoom waterfast lash in waterfast black 

save : maybelline great lash 

winner 

splurge!! This makes lashes curled, gives length and volume, and doen't clump! it lasts all day and removes easy. it holds a curl beautifully! 

lipgloss 

splurge : Dior addict lipgloss in sari pink

save : revlon colorburst lip gloss 

winner 

tie!! both are longlasting and are not sticky! 

makeupobesessed

Re: Splurge or save??

This is a fun post to think about...I'm going to treat it differently though, as I won't name my specific two brands and decide...I already have preconceived notions about whether to splurge or save so it doesn't matter the brand. FOUNDATION...I splurge always on either Bare minerals or Clinique even better My face is a winner for sure by me not saving and compromising on this product section. BLUSH I thnk you can save if you want to, I have Nars Orgasm and BE mineral only bc I like the. Odors but I also have NYX cream blush for a few dollars and it's awesome too. EYELINER. On this I think the saving is def good, a cheap kohl eyeliner by wet and wild can do wonders. MASCARA. I am on the fence with this. I buy both, as I love benefit Badgal lash, but then I also but Maybelline great lash...I don't think it matters. LIPGLOSS. This is also a toss up. A good lipgloss isn't sticky and that's the key, not sticky and moisturizing. Does t have to cost a lot but can and is worth it if you find one and is expensive.
makeupobesessed

FOUNDATION...I splurge always on either Bare minerals or Clinique even better My face is a winner for sure by me not saving and compromising on this product section. BLUSH I thnk you can save if you want to, I have Nars Orgasm and BE mineral only bc I like the. Odors but I also have NYX cream blush for a few dollars and it's awesome too. EYELINER. On this I think the saving is def good, a cheap kohl eyeliner by wet and wild can do wonders. MASCARA. I am on the fence with this. I buy both, as I love benefit Badgal lash, but then I also but Maybelline great lash...I don't think it matters. LIPGLOSS. This is also a toss up. A good lipgloss isn't sticky and that's the key, not sticky and moisturizing. Does t have to cost a lot but can and is worth it if you find one and is expensive.
msmisty

[ Edited ]

Eyeshadow Single

Splurge : Edward Bess ultra luminous

Save: Wet n Wild color icon singles

Winner: Splurge! I do love the wNw color icon singles but there is something truly magic about the EB singles when I apply them to my eye. I had always read that cosmetics can look different on your face than swatched on your arm and this is so true! The colors have dimension but are not overbearing and even the matte shade in the line is buttery soft and creamy. I also never have to wear eyeshadow primer underneath these and they last all day without creasing or fading despite my oily lids.

Lipstain

Splure: Becca beach tint

Save: NYC 16-hour smooch proof

Winner: Save! The beach tint in shade Watermlon is a dead ringer for NYC Endless spice on my lips. The NYC is not blotchy and feels comfortable and it's longer lasting than the beach tint though I cannot validate those 16 hour claims. I use the wide end to apply instead of the marker fine tip - looks much better this way.

Nail Enamel

Splurge: Opi for Sephora

Save: Wet'n'Wild color icon salon collection

Winner: Tie! The opi collection has a much larger color range which is really the only advantage it holds. The W'n'W shades are sophisticated and they last just as long as the opi shades when applied to the nail and take 2 coats for complete opacity which is identical to opi.

Bronzer

Splurge: Edward Bess Ultra luminous

Save: NARS laguna

Winner: Splurge! EB's bronzer is a natural looking shade on my fair skin and it is luminous without being sparkly,shimmery or frosty. The texture is velvety and it's the choice that looks, feels, and wears better

Powder Highlighter

Splurge: Edward Bess Quad Royale (South of France)

Save: TheBalm Mary-loumanizer

Winner: Save! Quad royale is possibly the one EB I own and do not like. Mary-lou is creamy soft and I don't detect glitter here, there, and everywhere..as much cannot be said for the EB offering.

sephoramusthave

foundation

splurge : Lancome Dual Finish Powder Foundation

save : none

Blush

splurge : Benefit Coralista

Eyeliner

splurge : none

save : NYX Chubby Eye Liner Pencil in Yoghurt (its the only liner I have and I love it!)

mascara

splurge : Givenchy Phenomen Eyes

lipgloss

splurge : Dior Addict Lipstick

save : L'oreal Color Riche le Gloss

katie1724

What a fun post! I'll try to do my best :smileyhappy:

Splurge: NARS Sheer Glow, Siberia, $42

Save: ?

Winner: NARS -- this is one of two shade matches (total, that I know of) -- I don't have to add some kind of mixer to adjust the color. Therefore, it's worth it to me to splurge!

Splurge: Skinceuticals Purifying Cleanser, $32

Save: Neutrogena Naturals Purifying Cleanser, $7

Winner: Skinceuticals. The Neutrogena cleanser is good, but since I started using a glycolic acid cleanser, my skin has never been better. This particular one is pH balanced and very gentle, and perfect for use with my Clarisonic.

Splurge: Shiseido Benefiance Eye Cream

Save: Any other less expensive eye cream

Winner: Shiseido. I have tried myriad eye creams, both more and less expensive than Shiseido, and this is the only one that works for me. A+!

Splurge: YSL Faux Cils, $30

Save: La Roche Posay Respectissime mascara (about $20), or L'Oréal Voluminous mascara ($8)

Winner: La Roche Posay and/or L'Oréal. I *love* Faux Cils, but not enough to pay that much more for it.

Splurge: NARS Larger Than Life Eyeliner, $24

Save: L'Oréal Voluminous Smoldering Eyeliner, $8

Winner: L'Oréal -- NARS is nice, but for 1/3 of the price, L'Oréal gets the job done. 

...I am sure I could think of more. Will update if I do! :smileyhappy:

prettyinpa

My winners are in blue:

foundation

splurge : Smashbox BB cream 

save : I haven't found a cheap foundation or BB cream that matches my skintone 

Blush 

splurge : NARS Danmari Palette

save : ULTA cream blush

Eyeliner 

splurge : Stila Waterproof liquid liner or MAC Fluidline in Rich Ground 

save : rimmel liner

mascara 

splurge : Fairy Drops Scandal Queen 

save : Rimmel Lycra Waterproof 

lipgloss 

splurge : Lancome La Laque Fever Gloss

save : MAC Lusterglass (not much of a savings, but cheaper than the Lancome one

winner 

tie!! both are longlasting and are not sticky! 

I guess I can conclude that I can get by with drugstore makeup in pinch, but the performance just isn't there for me, I do better by spending more for the high end products that I will actually use up vs toss in the drawer. 

lylysa

Fun idea! ^_^ Friday funday!

foundation

splurge : Smashbox HALO powder

save : Revlon Color Stay Liquid

winner 

Splurge, the HALO powder gives a range of coverage and it comes with nearly 3 times the amount of a regular powder/powder foundation, it's a camera-safe mineral, photographs beautifully, and a tiny bit can even be dabbed on as concealer!

Blush 

splurge : Tarte Amazonian Clay Blush

save : E.L.F. Studio Line Blush/Bronzer duo

winner 

Save, as much as I love the colors in Tarte, the E.L.F. duo is just $3 and the blush looks pretty similar to Nars' Orgasm!

Eyeliner 

splurge : Urban Decay 24/7 Liner Pencil

save : Studio Gear Invincible Potted Del Liner

winner 

Though it's only about a $3 difference, I'm going with Urban Decay, I love that their pencils are creamy enough to smudge on my lid and blend with my finger like a cream shadow, plus I don't need a brush.

mascara 

splurge : Fairy Drops Scandal Queen

save : Cargo Lash Activator Duo Mini Pack

winner 

TIE! Cargo's system really works to grow and maintain healthy lashes! I saw a difference in two weeks! The mascara can be used as a primer under your regular use mascara and the night serum is a clear gel that you apply at night before bed. Fairy Drops is surprising durable (I wear contacts and there is no running after reapplying fresh solution to my eyes or if I tear up) and really does curl my lashes like no other. It's a fiber based tubing formula that's super black!

lipgloss 

splurge : Urban Decay Pocket Rocket in James

save : Bodycology Strawberry Lipgloss

winner 

As fun as UD's is and how I love to watch a guy disrobe at the flick or a wrist, I'll go with Bodycology, it's simple, formula is very hydrating, non sticky, and it's sweet. Plus it's nice when my boyfriend kisses me and gets to taste strawberry!

lylysa

Eeps, I put Friday funday! LOL!

My mistake! Wanting to jump ahead in the work week! :smileyvery-happy:

elizbeth1972

What a fun topic.  Great to hear what everyone else loves as well.  I don’t have for all the categories, but here are some of my recent comparisons:

Concealer:

Splurge: Murad Acne Treatment Concealer in Light

Save:  Sephora Lasting and Perfecting Corrector in Light

Winner:  Splurge – I find that both give the same amount of coverage and both colors work well, but the Murad works better as a treatment for the acne.

Eyeliner

Splurge:  UD in 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Demolition (Deep Matte Brown)

Save: Cover Girl Perfect Blend Eyeliner in Black/Brown

Winner: Kind of tie - Long-lasting performance goes to UD b/c the CG can start to migrate as the day wears, but it’s a tie for the color. 

Mascara (Everyday)

Splurge:  JM GOGO Instant Natural Volume Argan Mascara and MUFE Smoky Eeyes

Save: Maybelline Great Lash

Winner: Save – For way less, the Maybelline is great for everyday/wear to work!  The JM is ok and it’s natural, but hasn’t sold me.  MUFE’s Smoky eyes I actually tend to wear a lot in the day b/c it doesn’t give me enough drama for the evening, but I would take the Maybelline over both.

Mascara (Dramatic)

Splurge: Too Face Lashgasm

Save: Maybelline COLOSSAL Volume Express

Winner: Splurge – I love the dramatic effect and separation that Too Faced gives, it makes my lashes look miles long.  I know that they are two different types of brushes, but Maybelline just doesn’t do it for me.

Lipstick/stain:  

Splurge: Tarte LipSurgence Natural Lip Stain in Bright Pink

Save: Revlon Kissable Stain Balm in Sweetheart (a bright pink color)

Winner: Save - The Revlon stain balm is long-lasting, non-draying and gives almost an exact dupe for the Tarte for less than half the price.

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

Winners are in bold.

Foundation (Tinted moisturizer)

splurge : Laura Mercier TM SPF20

save : Boots no.7 TM SPF15 (gives sheer coverage, doesn't feel makeup-y but more moisturizer like instead.)

Concealer

splurge : MUFE full coverage or Amazing concealer (liquidy enough for natural look on any area AND pigmented enough for any pimple or redness...2 attributes that rarely go together, except in these 2. Tiny dots of it is sufficient and ensures I don't need lots of face make up)

save : any of the 4-5 drugstore concealer I tried

Lip color:

splurge : Fresh Sugar Lip treatment SPF 15 (the only lip color that I can wear on my severely dry winter lips, 2nd in moisturization only to Jack Black SPF 25. I've tried pretty much all lip treatment <$25 (20-30 both highend and low end) and those 2 are most moisturizing)

save : Maybelline Babylips SPF20 (great color, cheap, but no hydration)

lipgloss 

splurge : Clinique (it looks pretty, it lasts, and it doesn't dry my lips out.)

save : Covergirl or Maybelline

Mascara 

splurge : Estee Lauder Sumptous (I don't buy mascaras cuz I get minis of it all the time and always have 2-3 available. But this mascara I will buy cuz it's my "dress to impress" mascara)

save : Maybelline or Covergirl mascaras

I like high end brushes, eye shadow/liner, lipsticks, blush, bronzer and highlighter because I found they definitely last longer, but no preference among my 2-4 favorite brands...and sometimes I buy more for the pretty packagings. I buy low end for body products because those require generous amounts and some low ends are coming out with natural and organic products (Yes to Carrots) that does the job wonderfully, so I can use the money saved here for expensive skincare/cosmetics.

missjr

What a terrific topic!  Here are my favorite splurges and saves:

Foundation:

Splurge:  Make Up  Forever Face and Body Foundation

Save:  MAC Face and Body Foundation

Winner

Splurge:  Both are great for the summer months.  Granted, the MAC Face and Body is cheaper at $33.00, but I much prefer MUFE’s Face and Body Foundation!  For one thing, MUFE has a wider range of shades.  Not only are the shades absolutely gorgeous, they tend to have a more neutral finish than MAC’s foundation, which has a tendency to oxidize on me.

Blush:

Splurge:  NARS Highlighting/Bronzing Duo in Orgasm and Laguna

Save:  MAC Powder Blushes in Fleur Power and Blunt

Winner:  It’s a TIE!  How could a girl possibly choose?  Both NARS and MAC are on point when it comes to producing beautifully pigmented powder blushes that should appeal to anyone’s taste. 

Eyeliner:

Splurge:  MAC Fluidline Gel Eyeliner in Blacktrack

Save:  Maybelline black eyeliner pencil with smudging tip

Winner:  Definitely the MAC Fluidline Gel Eyeliner.  This product is my first foray into gel eyeliners and I love it!  I apply it with the MAC Pointed Liner Brush #211, which gives it a precision application.  Plus the product lasts all day even in the most humid of conditions.

Mascara:

Splurge:  Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes! Mascara

Save:  Maybelline Great Lash Mascara

Winner:  Splurge!  Although Maybelline’s Great Lash mascara holds its own against its more expensive counterparts, I have to go with the Tarte which defines each lash and is made with more natural ingredients.

Lipgloss:

Splurge:  MAC Lipglasses in Chai and Oh Baby

Save:  Clinique Superbalm Moisturizing Gloss in Raspberry and Black Currant

Winner:  It’s another TIE!  Both glosses give my lips a beautiful shine, and are easy to use simply with a lip pencil.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 34 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • prettyinpa
    • sephoramusthave
    • nanobear18
    • lylysa
    • elizbeth1972