Splurge or Save?

dolceloure

Splurge or Save?

[ Edited ]

Is there no pleasure in the world so great as finding that inexpensive beauty product at a drugstore whose quality exceeds that of its luxury counterpart? :smileyhappy:

Are there any types of beauty products you like to - or even prefer to - get from drugstore brands? What products do you insist on getting from higher end brands?

For me, I'm pickier with my skincare items -- I like to use Clinique and Ole Henriksen. The only exception is cleanser and toner -- if I go out of my way to buy these, I'll usually go to Ulta and buy whatever brand's on sale, lol. As far as makeup goes, I think my only must-always-be-a-splurge is foundation. It's for my entire face, I wear it the whole day, and almost every day, so I need to be absolutely sure it has good quality ingredients. Plus there's more variety in shades!

While I have high end brands for pretty much all types of products, almost all of them are from point perks, free deluxe samples, on sale, or from value/combination sets available where I get to try multiple items in one purchase. I have a TON of high end makeup that way, but apart from foundation I never really go out of my way to buy individual/single makeup items at regular price. That's when I turn to drugstores! I actually have quite a few eye makeup items (shadow, liner) and lipsticks from brands like Ulta, NYX (those eyeshadow pigments! so many pretty colors!), and Wet n Wild (they have surprisingly good lipstick!).

Ah, and fragrances. My perfumes are my babies. :smileyhappy: I get everything from Jordan Sparks and Britney Spears to Gucci and Dior! If it smells good and comes in a nice bottle, I want it! :smileyhappy:

prosopon

Re: Splurge or Save?

I love the Maybelline color tattoos too.  Another, very similar to those, are L'Oreal Infallible eyeshadows. Amazing colors and staying power.

poshified

(0) Hearts

Bronzed Taupe!!! Holy smokes, the only taupe one ever needs in life haha!

dcbrunette

Fun thread! 

Totally agree on skincare and foundation.  My skin is red, sensitive and rosacea-prone so I have to be really careful.  I use this french line of skincare products (Guinot) that I just LOVE and I stick to mineral foundations cuz they don't aggravate my rosacea.  (Although I got color-matched last week at the store, and they recommended a NARS powder in Pujab so I am trying that this week and hoping I don't react.  I hope it stays OK cuz the color seems to be EXACT to my skin.)  I also tend to like higher-end eye shadows as well.

Everything else, I go back and forth between high end and lower cost brands.  Mascara especially - benefit to revlon, clinique to maybeline.  Lipsticks are my weakness -   Clinique, Covergirl, Estee Lauder, Revlon, Laura Mercier, Sonia Kushak.  Bring. them. on. 

Hair products are another matter.  My hair is fine but I have a lot of it.  High end brands seem to just weigh it down so I only use drugstore.  Frizz Ease, Garnier, Elnet, John Frieda, Pantene - love them all!  And every time I try a salon brand I am disappointed. 

dolceloure

(0) Hearts

oh, I forgot about hair care! Ditto on using drugstore brands. I pretty much use Organix shampoo/conditioner (the coconut milk one smells heavenly) as well as their hair masks and serums, and they do a pretty good job.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 24 replies
  • 27 hearts
  • 12 in conversation
    • prosopon
    • wendyomgwar
    • kimmi1115
    • poshified
    • dolceloure
    • rikkie