dolceloure

Specific stores for specific beauty needs?

[ Edited ]

I was just wondering where else you all shop besides Sephora.  If you do have other places, what draws you to them? For me:

Sephora: My #1 beauty store. (I come here as often as I come to FB. No other online store is nearly as fun. :smileytongue: ) And I do get most of my beauty products from here. Except for items I don't want to splurge on...in which case I head to:

Ulta: Some of the cheaper lines work great for me when it comes to hair care (I love Organix), face wash, and random beauty tools like cotton balls, q-tips, razors, hair color....basically any beauty item I can easily get at Target or Walmart, I pick up at Ulta, b/c the price is comparable, but I get points. :smileyhappy: And I'm a platinum, so I get 1.25 per $1, so my points rack up a little faster. I occasionally cheat on Sephora and get high end products from here when I've got a lot of points racked up here (best reward splurge to date: $20 off a bottle of J'adore. *sigh* )

Amazon: for the occasional non-designer perfume not found at Ross/Marshalls/TJ Maxx. I also sometimes get random beauty products from here b/c they're slightly cheaper than Ulta and Sephora, and if it's prime eligible, I get free shipping, no minimum purchase!

Ross/Marshall's/TJ Maxx: the occasional skincare product (from time to time I do see really great deals on high end skincare), but mostly for perfumes. These are actually my absolute favorite stores for getting discounted perfume.  

Bath & Body Works: I totally forgot about them!! I love getting lotions, shower/bath stuff from here. And the occasional perfume during their semi-annual sales :smileyhappy:

I used to have some box subscriptions (Birchbox, Ipsy, and Beauty Army), but I unsubscribed when I was leaving my job/moving...I'm debating whether or not I want to resubscribe once I'm back in the cash flow; they've introduced me to some really great products in the past, but at the same time I know once I start earning again I'm going to go on a beauty binge at all the other aforementioned stores. (I haven't had a real, proper beauty haul in MONTHS, lol, I'm going to burst!!)

missjr

Re: Specific stores for specific beauty needs?

Great topic!

Sephora:  Online for the great specials and perks.  Also, in store because of the great samples and the wonderful cast members.  Plus, I love the great deals for holiday shopping.  Don't even get me started on the brushes!  It was here that I learned about Hourglass, NARS and Make Up Forever.

Bluemercury:  Like Sephora, they also carry a lot of high-end skincare products.  Plus, they have great parties where makeup artists from Laura Mercier, Clinique, Estee Lauder and other lines will offer lessons and tips.  And, like Sephora, they have some really great deals on fragrances.

Macy's:  Their bonus days for Clinique and Estee Lauder are legendary.  Plus, they have great fragrance gift sets for Mother's Day, Father's Day and Christmas.

MAC:  Best lipsticks and lip glosses EVER!  I also love the Prep & Prime products, as well as the brushes.  They cost a pretty penny but are always a great investment. 

Bath & Body Works:  Their semi-annual sales are the best!  I love the shower gels, body lotions and butters.  Their Aromatherapy products, including candles and bath and body products can't be beaten.

CVS and Walgreens:  I'll never abandon my drugstore favorites such as the Aveeno and Neutragena bath products, and staples such as Palmer's Cocoa Butter and Pond's Cold Cream.

HoneyBHooligan

I shop at the same places you do. I LOVE Ross for discounted perfume! I didn't think anyone else did that!

kimmi1115

(0) Hearts

Sephora is what got me into higher end makeup and learning more about it.  Not only do I shop there for myself, but I will shop there for certain people around the Holidays.  Lanndan and my future mother-in-law have both received Sephora gifts from me.  I also got my mom into shopping at Sephora, too lol.

I also do some shopping at Ulta, especially since my new favorite hair care products are there.  I always browse the nail polish section since they carry OPI and Zoya.  However, most of my higher end makeup is from Sephora.  I think I've only bought a UD single shadow from Ulta on the high end makeup side.

Next, I shop at Sally's Beauty Supply.  That's where most of my acrylic supplies and other nail supplies come from.  I don't even want to know how much in nail polish I've bought from there lol.  I also get a few hair things, too.

For drugstore, I mainly go to Walgreens (and Ulta at times) due to their awesome return policy.  I'm not too sure what Walmart's return policy on cosmetics is, but I don't want to argue with them about it.  My local Walmart can be very unorganized at times, especially in the cosmetic section.  The messy nail section KILLS me!  However, Walgreens is nice and neat with pretty displays.  Pretty much every week a few brands have some sort of BOGO deal as well.  

cherrybombtastic

(0) Hearts

Most of the time I only shop at Sephora. Once I've gone to Macy's, but that was it. However, for one product in particular, I go on eBay because if it's $10 cheaper, why not? Good question!

clarks18

(0) Hearts

I do most of my shopping at Sephora.  I just like the selection of products they have everything.  I would be there on a weekly basis if I lived closer.  Closest store to me is about a 50 min drive away.  I make trips to that store when I know I need a few things or when I want to check out a couple products and swatch them.  I try to have my sister come with me so we can split the cost of gas ha.  I get all of my makeup and skincare products from Sephora.  There is an Ulta about 15 mins away from me so if I need a higher end brand of something I ran out of I just go there.  I can't stand the employees at that store and I'm not really a fan of Ulta but they are close.  I don't mind there rewards prorgam though.  I have 950 points and I am eligible for $33.00 off my next purchase.  I'm not really a big drugstore makeup buyer.  The only drugstore item I use is Covergirl mascara.  I have found some great brushes at Marshalls before.  I just like the enviroment at Sephora and the way everything is displayed plus they have way more brands.

Kiki1517

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I think anyone that has made it to Rouge can say that Sephora is their #1 beauty destination. I think half of the buying process is about the experience and in most of the other shops you don't get the same experience as Sephora (even if it is hectic sometimes). I try to get most of my cosmetics/skincare here just so that I do have most points in one store because I know I'm not going to be spending crazy amounts anywhere else for it to even matter. 

Ulta: TIGI Catwalk Hairspray & Real Techniques brushes when they are Buy1Get1 50%off.

Macys/Beautylish: Inglot

Nordstrom Rack occassionaly has good deals on Urban Decay and Smashbox. I got the big bottle of UD All Nighter Setting Spray for 1/2 off.

aviscardi

[ Edited ]

I shop mostly at Sephora. I will get stuff at cvs though even when i order from beauty .com i can get stuff like ponds wipes for way cheaper. Occasionally through ulta online and macys. Also sometimes through nordstrom since they have free snh on anything, so i like to get MAC items their when they're LE. Also macs website

beautylovingirl

For me I still shop at Sephora but if other places are cheaper and have better deals like:

Nordstrom: During the summer they have crazy good prices on a lot of makeup, body products and makeup brushes.

Amazon: I get the majority of my hair products there.

SkincareRX- What I can't get from our office I finish out here.

Also some QVC and HSN.

Great Post!

Great Post!

Titian06

(0) Hearts

Since Sephora opened here a few years ago, it's definitely my place to go for most everything.

Other stores I shop at are Target, Walgreens, Meijer, Sally Beauty Supply, and Bare Minerals Boutiques.

I also like the Clinique counter at the Elder-Beerman in my town.  If Sephora doesn't have the Clinique item, I can usually find it at this particular store.

I've been to Ulta twice and have had unpleasant experiences with the rude and inconsiderate staff both times.  I might try on-line if I really want something.

The Bed, Bath, & Beyond in my town also has a nice, but small, selection of beauty items, including some of the "As Seen on TV" products someone else mentioned.  It's fun to look through what they have!

janinebt

I pretty much always get my beauty things from Sephora :smileyhappy:. For things like q-tips, cotton balls, etc I usually just go to my local drugstore. Amazon is a great place for getting makeup artist goodies (like mascara wands, doe foot wands, etc).

Whimsically yours,
Janine
Meg82

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I shop at Sephora for nearly everything, and at CVS for the remaining stuff.  I've been meaning to check out Ulta, mainly because I've been meaning to check out nyx and CVS doesn't stock it, and to see what Ulta is all about. And I've got an order coming in from elf to see if I like it, if I do I anticipate shifting a lot of my business their way.  I've been trying to re-assess my beauty spending as I start grad school and need to be on a tighter budget so my Sephora trips may become fewer and farther between.

OH! and Bath and Body Works.  Their True Blue shea butter foot cream is a miracle.  Total HG product for me.

(but so many things at Sephora call to me, financial responsibility is the worst)

dolceloure

(0) Hearts

Most unfortunately, it was in grad school that I started to take an interest in Sephora, so I know all about the struggle. :smileywink: I managed to shop quite a bit, actually, but I always waited for a good promo, like free shipping, % off your order, etc...less guilt that way. :smileyhappy:

nebel

(0) Hearts

I go to Sephora almost exclusively for my high end makeup and perfume.

I go to Ulta for low-cost makeup like NYX, and for things like razor blades and sunscreen.  Occasionally I will purchase my Murad here if there is a good promotion.

I like The Body Shop for their body butters and scrubs.

I love Inglot and Lush for their products.

pinktorridora

(0) Hearts

Oooh forgot about B&BW...love their loofahs!

pinktorridora

(0) Hearts

I go to Sephora (online bc the closest one is ~60 minutes from home) for most of my products. Some of my fave brands aren't carried at local shops.

Ulta: for me, it's where I go if I run out of something and don't have time to wait for Sephora to ship it to me. and they have great coupons that I use. Best one was getting a year's supply of Clarisonic brush heads for $60 instead of $75. But again, they don't carry all of my usual brands...

Making Faces: a local shop that carries lots of brands, but not all. I love shopping local, and it's convenient to pick up my products via their Curbside service! I also have a 10% off coupon good for the whole summer because I'm a great customer. So, I've been shopping there a lot lately.

I get cotton rounds from the grocery store. I like the ones they have. And I never occurred to me that I could get them at Ulta and get rewards...q-tips, too...

I have one HG product that I get from MAC, and that's their Eyebrows pencil. I guess I've just always loved it and never tried to find a new one.

veevali

(0) Hearts

Sephora is my number one as well but I shop at all the stores mentioned. I'm shocked no one has mentioned mac here! I guess that community doesn't come to BT?

im definitely swayed by deals but there are staples that I get t lush,  the body shop, and bath and body works. If rouge is worth it, I might start spending more of my moolah here 

nebel

(0) Hearts

I used to love MAC, but I have been very disappointed in recent years to watch their quality decline as their prices skyrocketed.

wendyomgwar

(0) Hearts

I honestly barely shop at MAC I think I've gone there all of four time.

jellybean917

(0) Hearts

Sephora is definitely my number one. :smileyhappy: Every once in awhile I'll grab some things from Amazon - last week I bought Bliss Fatgirlslim for a few bucks cheaper, plus prime free shipping.

I also browse Nordstrom Rack for beauty product deals. I just bought the Caudalie Vinexpert Eye/Lip Serum for $20 (retail: $80). I just checked and don't see it on Sephora's site anymore though...

kalex

Sephora is my #1 beauty destination.  If a product grabs my attention I typically check here first.

Beauty.com is my #2.  I love that free shipping is at $35 and they constantly have freebies that you can (99% of the time anyway) combine with other offers.  Just this morning I got an email for a full-size Lippman polish with a $20 purchase.

Ulta is where I go to to get my hair and brows done so I typically have points to cash in.  I'll use them towards drugstore-ish type items or brands like Mario Badescu that Sephora doesn't carry.

My local Dillards has Chanel, MAC, and Kiehls counters.  A couple of times a year they do a promotion for $20 off a $100, $50 off $200 type of deal so I typically stock up on those brands then!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 28 replies
  • 12 hearts
  • 21 in conversation
    • kalex
    • cherrybombtastic
    • wendyomgwar
    • aviscardi
    • kimmi1115
    • pinktorridora