punctuationgeek

Sexy lingerie as a Valentine's Day gift?

I know that "it's the thought that counts," and that we should be happy to just be thought of--but does anyone else think that getting sexy lingerie as a gift from your SO is more for him than for you?

What are your thoughts on getting sexy lingerie as a V-day gift? Would you be disappointed? Glad he even remembered it was Valentine's Day? Would you be secretly wishing he'd just bought you some chocolates instead? Or do you think lingerie is a good gift?

jennjenn123

Re: Sexy lingerie as a Valentine's Day gift?

I very much enjoy wearing sexy lingerie so I would appreciate it as a gift.  I am NOT a fan if flowers to the point that he is forbidden to buy me any, nor do I really like jewelry with hearts on it.   I've never seen much value in Valentines Day, so getting anything at all isn't important to me.  We're just looking forward to watching House of Cards this evening!

punctuationgeek

I'm with you on the heart jewelry! Every time I see one of those "every kiss begins with Kay" commercials with the (no offense meant to anyone who likes this jewelry; it's just not my taste) cheesy heart necklaces, I cringe a little. I like thoughtful gifts--like an Alex and Ani bracelet with a charm that is something meaningful to me. Plus, I think Alex and Ani bracelets are around $30; I know some are over $100, though. There's also a nice candy store where I live, and I'd be happy to get a baggie of Swedish fish :smileytongue:

AlwaysGlamorous

The BF did well this year! He got me two Drybar blowout coasters. He has been listening! Then again, my Drybar addiction is no secret! The cutest part though? Each of the coasters had samples in the box because he knew I would like that :smileyhappy: 

punctuationgeek

Hearts to your boyfriend for his good gift giving! :smileyvery-happy:

kalex

Dinner or flowers or something else had better be involved too!  It's definitely more of a gift for him!  I heard a statistic that 90+% of men want youknowwhat for Valentine's Day.  That's it.

nikki

My makeup addiction is rivaled by my lingerie addiction, so I think it's fine. I've never had anyone buy me just lingerie though.

What about buying lingerie for you to wear as a present for him? Do you guys think that's more acceptable?

punctuationgeek

It's funny you should mention the option of buying yourself lingerie as a present for him--my friend is doing that this Valentine's Day. I'm interested to see what people have to say about this.

yazmin

I was discussing this with my friend the other day. I'm not sure about other people, for me sexy lingerie makes me feel good about myself and that my husband enjoys it. So its for both on my part, I wouldn't want it as a gift though, I would get it for him as a gift, and I know he would be okay with it. Even though yes I enjoy wearing them, I rather choose them myself and get them in the mail. I would be okay with lingerie as a "just because" gift. If I get him something on Valentine's day I am getting something for himself, that I know he would enjoy without me. I would like something I would enjoy without sharing :smileyhappy:

DTalksAll

I've been with my boyfriend for almost 9 years, and we don't do Valentines Day. To me it's just a stupid card holiday, I don't need corporate to tell me I love my boyfriend, I love him every day! :smileytongue: So if he got my lingerie I would probably freak out and be pissy. We do like to go all out for our anniversary, some years we give better gifts & other years I just get flowers. No biggie. I think it's the thought that counts. I don't wear lingerie often, but if he took the time to pick out something that he likes, then I wouldn't be offended. I would be offended if he got me a cheesy heart necklace with a lab created diamond from Kay, Jared, Zales... if you're on a budget, at least have the decency to go to a mom & pop jeweler. 

punctuationgeek

I've never been a fan of Valentine's Day. I've never had a boyfriend on Valentine's Day, but I never feel bad being single on Valentine's Day. To me, it's just another day. I remember an episode of 8 Simple Rules, and one of the daughters (the cynical one) made some nasty comments about Valentine's Day. On V-Day, her boyfriend didn't get her anything, and she was (surprisingly) disappointed. She said something, and he told her that he was going to give her a gift on February 15, because he knew she didn't like V-day but he wanted her to know he did love her on her own day. It was a thoughtful gift--I think a collection of all the emails they'd ever exchanged--and I thought it was pretty sweet. Though he probably should've done it on February 13 :smileytongue:

I'm with you on Kay jewelers. I would rather a guy spend $30 dollars on a unique necklace from Etsy than $200+ at Kay. But if he is going to spend that money, to me, a Pyrrha necklace is an excellent gift.

Also, there's a good Family Guy joke about Kay--just search "family guy kay jewelers" on YouTube, and the video's called "diamonds... she'll pretty much have to." Whenever I see one of those "every kiss begins with Kay" commercials, I think of this clip.

AlwaysGlamorous

Crack me up! I most assuredly need corporate America to remind me that I love my BF and vice versa! :smileywink: :smileytongue:

StyleLynn

If my man bought me lingerie for Valentine's Day I would be flattered that after 5 years he still wants me to dress up and look sexy for him, for me it says that the spark is still there.

IttyxBittyxMe

I wouldn't mind it, but realistically I know it's not a gift my boyfriend would ever get me.  I can't even get him to help me pick out sexy lingerie as is as his thing is, "I'm just going to take it off anyway", which is a fair point. 

ljp93

I, honestly, would HATE it if my boyfriend got me sexy lingerie! It's completely understandable that some would appreciate that gesture though, I just would not. I believe it would benefit him more than me, because he is obviously expecting some **bleep**. I do enjoy purchasing some sexy lingerie myself, but I just wouldn't be the happiest camper if my boyfriend shelled out money for a bra and pantie set/teddy, etc.! I'd much rather have chocolate/flowers or a corny little stuffed animal :smileyhappy:

BTW, you always have the best threads! :smileyhappy:

punctuationgeek

Thanks! :smileyhappy:

IMO, a man can't go wrong with chocolate! I'm a fan of plush art, like John Murphy (creator of the Stupid Creatures), so a unique plushie would be appreciated.

ljp93

Lol they bleeped out the word n o o k i e :smileyhappy:

AlwaysGlamorous

My BF bought me lingerie ONCE a couple of years ago for Valentine's Day. It was a sheer fuchsia babydoll and I instantly hated it but did not have the heart to tell him because he was really proud of himself and I couldn't bear to kill his happiness. So, I pretended I liked it and even now, he will ask me why I never want to wear it..... So this year, when he asked me what I wanted, I said chocolate. 

midnightangel

Usually if it's Valentine's Day, I'm the one buying the lingerie to surprise him later. :smileywink:

But if he gave me lingerie, I'd be ok with that. Less fattening than chocolate and lasts longer than flowers. lol

That said, I don't think lingerie should be the only gift.

malday

I personally wouldn't mind lingerie because it's something that I enjoy owning and wearing, not just to please him (he could care less what I'm wearing, it's coming off anyway), but because it makes me feel nice. If I was the type of person who wasn't into lingerie then I wouldn't consider it a good gift for me. In that case if he bought it and asked me to wear it for him then sure! That would be my gift to him lol.

DrProducts

Since I'm probably old enough to be your mom, let me ponder my vast experience: card + lingerie= present for him. And let's consider *what* type of lingerie. A silk or satin nightie, long or short (but wearable w/out all your bits showing), perhaps with a robe--that's lingerie that can benefit him, for sure, but it doesn't scream "have sex with me, woman!". Having never worn La Perla or Agent Provacateur, whether or not to give points based or sheer expensivemenss should be based on his (or her, for those who are) income. Is that cold? Yeah, well. When it comes to bustiers, garter belts, and such, it's clearly more for the giver, unless you walked through a lingerie store together and pointed them out and said, "Gosh, I'd love to have one of these!" Even if that happens to be true, cards, chocolates, flowers, etc. must be purchased first in order for it not to be just a sex bribe. And then, one could be proactive, with a thong or hammock for the guy (that's equality), or for the more adventurous, a ring crop--used to be available at Petsmart; probably can find at one of those outdoors chains.

For those celbrating alone: buy yourself a new jewelry box. If it's been a while, buy some jewlry to go in it. And then some perfume and five palettes! 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 25 replies
  • 69 hearts
  • 15 in conversation
    • kalex
    • nikki
    • DTalksAll
    • malday
    • yazmin
    • DrProducts