annonymous1

Scariest Thing i've experienced in a long while...

Hey Girls! i just wanted to share this story with you, just so we can all be a little more careful this holiday season...

So i went to panera bread with my friend the other night in a really good neighborhood, no crime ever happens in that area, there are always cops around, but that night i was eating and a group of men walk in (about 6 guys) and stand by the door, eventually they order food and sit down so we kind of forget about them.... there table was very close to about 9 other tables, maybe 15 mins later they all turn around, run to the nearest table to them and take phones, wallets, purses and other christmas items in shopping bags, bolt out into the parking lot, get a car and drive away.

5 mins later cops showed up, after they locked us in the panera while they were looking for the guy i was so traumatized, thankfully i had my phone in my pocket and my purse was small and not really worth anything but they didnt rob me because i didnt look like a target, i saw the robber take a phone right out of a womans hand as she was texting like we all do!

Needless to say i just wanted to share this story with you girls just so we can all be a little more cautious of our surroundings and our belongings this holiday season <3 

veronika23

Re: Scariest Thing i've experienced in a long while...

(0) Hearts

Wow!  I'm so sorry that happened to you.  Glad you weren't hurt. :smileyhappy:

annonymous1

(0) Hearts

the bags werent like left at a table alone they put them in the seats next to them and some lady had them in the floor under her feet, but they took the purses off womens' arms and phones right out of hands.

and i'm sorry about what happend to you omg thankfully nothing happend, i would have been so scared 

emmaclaire

That is absolutely deplorable.  I know that crime happens, and it's always horrible and bad no matter what time of year it occurs, but a part of me is just so extra angry that those jerks would take advantage of women doing their holiday shopping.  They literally stole presents from friends and family, maybe even children.  

I'm sorry you had to witness that, and I really hope that those complete a-holes were caught and punished.  That is so unacceptable and makes me feel positively sick.

Candy357

Omg I am glad you are ok!!!

That is too scary!! 

Winter

What a horrible story! I'm so sorry that you were in such a traumatizing situation. That's so horrible that people would do something like that to others. 

I live in such a small town and everyone is so friendly that I couldn't imagine having to be vigilant of my belongings. It really is a shame that people would do this to others, especially around a holiday that should be significant in the way that we should live And should treat one another. 

I hope they find the guys and are able to get everyone's belongings back to them. 

itscarin

Awww, that sucks.  Right before xmas, too.  At least no one was hurt.

Urbie

Wow, that really sucks!  I've lived in big cities for the last 8 years (Chicago and NYC) so I am hyper vigilant about my stuff.  I keep one credit card and my driver's license in a separate small wallet so that if someone either mugs me or pickpockets, I will at least have one credit card and some form on ID with me- I also keep color photocopies of my passport/IDs, etc in a lockbox in my home in case mine are stolen and I need something to show that I'm a real person.

However, my boyfriend just had his wallet stolen a couple of days ago.  He left it in a store (yes, I berated him for like 30 mins) and it was gone by the time he got back there 10 mins later.  Luckily, he had business cards in his wallet.  Someone took the cash (only about $40), but left everything else, including his metrocard, and handed it over to a cop just outside the store, so he got a phone call from the police while he was in the store asking to see security video.  I still made him cancel all his cards to be safe, so unfortunately for him, he's been cash and cardless for the last few days of holiday shopping.  Luckily, we had already finished buying gifts!

He's also had his phone stolen out of his hand on the bus- again, stupid...but everyone does it.

I tend to keep a real tight grip on my phone if I have to use it in public after that, haha.

ladymeag

[ Edited ]

The holiday season is always rough for this kind of thing - thieves are hoping you'll have Christmas cash, shopping money, expensive gifts, newer electronics (like phones and iPods,) and other items on you - so the grab-and-go rises at a time when it's hard to chase them through a crowd and lots of people will be carrying lots of stuff.  (Edited. Haha, I had no idea that it would bleep s-natch.) 

I was just going to suggest something like this! I have a bra-clip wallet that has an expired ID (so I can prove I'm me but I don't have to fish in my bra if my purse is still around,) some cash, a bus ticket, and a list of important phone numbers. I keep a passcode on my phone and have it set up for remote wiping if stolen, so that they don't get more than my phone.

For gentlemanly dressers, they make belts that have zippered insides that you can fold up a few bills, a list of phone numbers, and a bus ticket (but I think you'll be out of luck on the ID, belts aren't usually that wide.) 

Like this: 

upload_2005393877409203621.jpg

killahbabe

I need one of these! I have no idea where to find one... but I need one! haha.

ladymeag

(0) Hearts

I think I picked mine up from Amazon. 

prettyinpa

Magellans dot com has all sorts of sneaky garments and things to hide money in while you're travelling, they have the belts as well as bra wallets. I have one of their wearable wallets, it's good quality and doesn't itch.

annonymous1

Omg, i live in miami but i always stay away from the city because i know alot of stuff like that always happends, thats a good idea from now on i need to try that

itsjaimiehere

It is unfortunate that people feel that they have to do that... My hubby and I were just saying that people get really desperate around Christmas :smileysad:

Londonlover101

OMG! I cant believe this happened to you, im very sorry for everyone there (and you of course :smileyhappy:) who's stuff got taken or stolen, my god they took the phone out of her hand!!! thankyou for the headsup because that just proves that no matter where you are, something bad can happen. oh god I feel sorry for all those poor people, Christmas is only a day away! lets pray for them.

melde

Oh that is so scary! Thank you for the reminder!

thesupergirl

Wow! So sorry that happened to you! Criminals suck!

BeautyLove02

wow...what is wrong with people? You would think they would get a fu*&ing job or get on welfare before they would do something like this! And the kids in the restaurant?? My blood is boiling right now and I can't even see straight. This makes me so mad! I'm so, so sorry that you and the other victims had to go through this. I hope news of this gets out and the community can help the people before Christmas. I'm sorry.

annonymous1

(0) Hearts

Its not your fault, i do honestly feel bad for them i really do i got in touch with one of the ladies and i plan on dropping off some presents for her daughter today after work :smileyhappy:

sundaespal

Criminals truly are brazen and shameless, aren't they? I am so loose with my purse, I'll even leave it at a table at Panera while I get my drink or food. This will be a reminder for me to take more precaution.

So glad you're ok, and that you got out unharmed and unrobbed.

annonymous1

(0) Hearts

I was like that too! thats mainly why it scared me so bad, and one of the ladies was even telling me she got a job that day so she had her social security card in her wallet too.

i'm also REALLY glad they only took personal belongings and that no one was hurt 

saturnwings

I hate to mention this but it's worth doing it as a cautionary tale if you're not vigilant about your purse.

I was out with a friend for a late lunch after shopping.  A bunch of kids (I mean kids - oldest might have just hit teens or slightly above) walked into the restaurant and then to our table asking about menu items under the ruse that they didn't understand French (this was a creperie).  My small purse was sitting on the pile of stuff we had just bought, and while it was next to me, I wasn't paying much attention to it, assuming that it would be okay since it was next to me.  Flash forward 5 minutes and my purse is gone.  I looked around and the restaurant owner said he saw one of the kids turn the corner with it.  The restaurant and police people were all extremely nice about it, and I ended not losing anything but $20, but I never quite regained my sense of security in that part of town (by which I mean the entire downtown area!).  That was my first summer away from home, too, so I'm now a little paranoid about my purse in places like downtown areas of cities or teens asking random questions.

I'm not saying you should become crazy like me, but please be more careful than you are!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 58 replies
  • 106 hearts
  • 43 in conversation
    • itscarin
    • prettyinpa
    • DTalksAll
    • killahbabe
    • nathaliew
    • anaa