LCResz

Saturday Questions: School Edition

Well, it's finally the weekend and as Saturday's children we work hard for our living! School is in full swing here in SoFL, and as a teacher I can tell you there is no rest for the weary. So, let's have some fun/nerdy questions today!

1. Name a book you were required to read in school and hated.

2. What was one of your favorite field trips?

3. Did you/will you attend your prom?

4. Can you recite your school alma mater?

5. What perfume reminds you most of youth?

arielaaaaaaaa

Re: Saturday Questions: School Edition

Haha I didn't get it either till i saw Rikkie's comment! 

arielaaaaaaaa

To be perfectly honest, i never read the required books for school. I payed attention with what the teacher talked about during class discussions about the book and passed test based on that! I just can't read something because i have to!

Hm. My schools didn't do too many interesting field trips, i guess the one my 8th grade year when we went to one of the high schools planetarium. 

Yeah i did the whole expensive dress, limo, fancy dinner, but i wish i hadn't! I wish i could have skipped prom, Me and my current BF then had alot of problems and we didn't enjoy the night much. 

Nope, But i can still play it on my Flute! Lol i never got to sing it since i was in band and we had to play it!

I don't even know!

kalex

I can't think of any.  I love to read.

Green Bay!  We went to the Packer Hall of Fame and an amusement park.

My now husband and I went long enough for my Mom to take our picture and then we left.

Nope.  I'm not even sure if we had one...

It's been years since I've smelled Love's Baby Soft but I'm pretty sure it'd transport me straight to 7th grade.

Kiki1517

I love to read, so I can't recall any that I hated. It was more a few of the teachers that I disliked that read waaaay too far into the meaning of each paragraph.

Seattle Museum of Flight & Camp Warm Beach in the 5th grade.

Only Senior Prom.

No. I know it was written on the wall in the gym but I don't think we ever actually recited it.

Love Spell & that Cotton Candy body spray that was sold in the drugstores, can't remember the name of it.

glossyguru

1) The African Queen

2) One time I took a field trip to an apple orchard

3) I probably will

4) No, but I do know the tune

5) Pink body mists

glossyguru

4) Ok I just looked up my alma mater's lyrics

"Through the gracious halls of learning

March thy students ever yearning

To the lamps of wisdom turning

Pine-Richland High, All Hail!

Sing the chorus loudly,

Lift the banner proudly,

Green and white, you'll always light

Our paths and goals so brightly.

On we march for alma mater,

On we march each son and daughter

Singing loud our praises to Pine-Richland High! All Hail!"

LCResz

(0) Hearts

Whoa, do all high schools have the same old timey thing going on? 

On Miami's southern border

Reared against the sky

Proudly stands our Alma Mater

coral gables high 

onward, upward

be our watchword 

conquer and prevail

Hail to thee our Alma Mater

Coral Gables, Hail!

*At least I think these are still the words, I should see if they were changed, they were so old fashioned! 

jennjenn123

1.  We also had to read The Pearl, and I hated it.  Also hated everything I had to read by Toni Morrison.  Freshman year of college the worst thing was something by Nietzsche.  It sounds like I hate reading, but I'm actually an avid reader, I promise!

2.  In 8th grade we went to the state penitentiary (closed).  That was pretty awesome.  Then in 9th grade I went with the choir to NYC for a competition.  We saw The Lion King and Phantom of the Opera on Broadway.  That was the best part.  We also we to Chinatown, the Statue of Liberty, South St Sea Port, and went up the Empire State Building. 

3.  Yup.

4.  Nope. But I remember the tune!  This is actually the weekend of my 10th reunion, but hubby has to work tomorrow, so we can't travel this weekend.

5.  none.  I didn't start wearing perfume until about 10 months ago.  Do bath and body works scented lotions count?  Those are pretty strong!

JenBlush

1. I hated almost all the ones i had to read for AP english! >.< I hate them so much i forgot their names! lol 

2. When we would go to Universal Studios/ Islands of adventure!! It was the only time i was excited about wakeing up early to go to school!

3. I did!! I actually had someone in Sephora do my makeup! it was the first time i actually heard of Sephora, and i HAD to do it there because MAC was booked for that day. (and even though i love sephora now, i still hated the way they did my makeup! i cried)

4. Didn't even know we had/have one!

5. Violet! My mom would give me that perfume.. or cologne or whatever its called in english! lol But yes! it's the signature scent for babies and kids in my house! we all wore it! lol

kimchikween

1.  I was kind of a book nerd, so I liked or had already read many of the books.  That being said, I hated Old Man and the Sea.  We had to find and analyze (over-analyed IMHO) every literary technique - metaphors, allusions, etc...  For such a small book, there were SO MANY!  Made the exercise extra tedious.

2.  Our orchestra went down to South Padre for a competiton and we fot to stay in beach condos.  For a high school kid, it was a little peak at independent living...being on the beach didn't hurt!

3.  I did go to prom - group was me & my boyfriend, my guy & girl best friends, and another pair.  Unfortunately, my guy best friend dumped my girl best friend the week of.  She was pretty miserable and I was stuck in the middle.

4.  For college, heck yeah!  I am pretty into college football..I know both the original and the altered (some words replaced with some PG-13 ones).

5.  Didn't really wear perfume until college - Tribu Benetton for Women

swfupload_3921012580451072853.jpg

LCResz

[ Edited ]

Another book I read in 6th grade that apparently only Ms. Cruz had the ability to teach in a way that didn't iritate her students, lol. I loved covering it with my students a couple of years ago (when I first started teaching I covered science and English, go figure), we looked for all the parallels to religious texts, since I work at a religious private school. Man, they really got into researching the meaning of the number 40 and the meaning of the ocean to Cubans (I admit I'm biased since I'm of Cuban descent). One of these years I may convince the school to take a field trip down to the Keys and visit the Hemingway house, but probably not :smileytongue:

kimchikween

Ah, the number 40!  Flashbacks!  I have a list of books I read in grade school to re-read now that I am an adult - this is on the list but I've been avoiding it.

Harrahs for being a teacher!  I had some amazing, life changing teachers in grade school.  So important during those formidable years to have devoted and passionate educators.

HMNewbie

1)  Sophomore year - Silas Marner - I will remember "Nellie, in de toal hole" for the rest of my life.

2) Field trips?  What field trips?  It was my class that stopped Sr. Trips for the rest of the classes behind us b/c we were so bad. 

3) Yes, both years - one stag, one drag (for all you whipper-snappers out there, that means once single, once with a date)

4) Every word and I know the alto part.

5) Emeraude - jeez!  I'm showing my age!  Cheap, every girl in high school had that or Gloria Vanderbilt if you were seriously uptown.

honeyes

1. in the 6th grade, I hated The Pearl.

2. There were lots of cool ones (like in the 8th grade we got to go the Met and have a tour on little chairs and tie art to American history), but I remember a trip to the Museum of the Moving Image where we saw one of Halle Berry's first movies, Bulworth, a funny, yet ultimately sad movie about the state of politics in America.

3. I did go to prom and had my makeup done by a Mary Kay artist.

4. no, but I do remember the my middle school's song.

5. My mom always wore Chanel No. 5. It was always her request as a birthday gift. I remember receiving Givenchy Very Irresistible as a birthday gift, and Amarige another year. For some reason, all the boys would wear Curve for men. 

LCResz

[ Edited ]

Another Steinbeck book that was apparently taught differently at my school. The Pearl is so tragic, I loved how my 6th grade teacher explained it to us as a taken on rising feminism and why women should stand up and walk beside their husbands, not passively following their mates. Pretty radical thoughts to put into the heads of 12 and 13 year olds, but then this may be why I'm so passionate about literature til this day.

midnightangel

1. I once had to read 2 Toni Morrison novels for a college English class. Both were wretched. I will never read any more of her books.

2. In 3rd grade my class went on board a floating marine science lab. Basically a boat designed for oceanography & marine biology studies. Everyone in the class hated it & complained except me.

3. Yes I went to my prom.

4. If any of my schools had one, I probably never knew it.

5. I don't really associate perfume with youth.

honeyes

too bad, I love Toni Morrison! But I can see how they might drag.

rikkie

I haven't done any questions in ages! Wait, school has already started? It's still summer! School never starts until September here, I didn't know it was different. 

We read The Giver in jr high, I thought it was stupid. Maybe because it was way below my reading level and I would rather have been reading Fahrenheit 451 or Brave New World for the whole dystopian future thing. We all pretended to be overly grossed out by the giving old people sponge baths portion, haha. 

Not technically a field trip, but I went to Japan with most of my Japanese class. We went to Tokyo, Kyoto, Nara, Nagasaki, and Fukuoka. 

Prom doesn't exist the same way in Canada. I think there might have been some kind of grad thing, but I didn't go. 

My school didn't have one.

VS Love Spell, I wore the body spray all through high school.

wendyomgwar

Wow I seriously want to go to Japan so bad :smileysad:! Too bad I only know like 5 Japanese words lol, also I still love Love Spell lol

rikkie

(0) Hearts

It's okay, most signs are in English as well. If you don't speak English or Japanese though, you're probably in trouble. :smileytongue:

Just memorize this first. 

swfupload_7935795803191595339.gif

Kidding, but it's really not as bad as you might think, if you have a good guide book or phrase book with a section where you can point to a question you have and it has the translation underneath in Japanese, people are always very helpful. I went back again for my honeymoon and brilliantly forgot my phrase book at home, it had been about 5 years since I used any Japanese and my husband knew nothing and we did just fine. 

LCResz

I know we start a little earlier than most in Florida to take into account the possibility of hurricanes interrupting the schedule (it's hurricane season until November 1st). We used to wait until after Labor Day (beginning of September) but Hurricane Andrew back in 1992 taught the school system a nasty lesson, so they pushed things back and just have classes end earlier (May/June) if there are no natural disasters. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 90 replies
  • 165 hearts
  • 41 in conversation
    • kalex
    • kenny
    • prettyinpa
    • DTalksAll
    • prosopon
    • arielaaaaaaaa