LCResz

Saturday Questions: School Edition

Well, it's finally the weekend and as Saturday's children we work hard for our living! School is in full swing here in SoFL, and as a teacher I can tell you there is no rest for the weary. So, let's have some fun/nerdy questions today!

1. Name a book you were required to read in school and hated.

2. What was one of your favorite field trips?

3. Did you/will you attend your prom?

4. Can you recite your school alma mater?

5. What perfume reminds you most of youth?

DoctorsMrs

Re: Saturday Questions: School Edition

I dread hurricane season. The power always goes off for days. Even with a generator it's miserable.  I have no survivor, roughing it skills whatsoever. People who "ride out the storm" just confuse me.  When hurricane Sandy was heading up the coast I started packing. Hotel, inland, NOW.

rikkie

Ick. Philip was supposed to have a job interview in Boston right around that time and it was going to be rescheduled because of Sandy. I kind of wish it had happened, then I could live closer to all my BBBFFs, (and the Sephora warehouses! :smileytongue: ) but he is much happier with the job he took. 

rikkie

Eek, I guess that's a good point. Living in the middle of a zillion miles of land means you don't have to think about things like that. There was a tornado here once, before I was born, that's the biggest weather thing that's happened, maybe ever, who knows. We get allllll the snow and -40 temperatures though, so you all probably still come out ahead! (and there is no such thing as a snow day, ugh. Schools are open no. matter. what.)

WhereYouStand

1. of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

2. Valley Fair

3. yes for a whopping total of 30 minutes then me and my friends took flight to cruise uptown for the night.

4. Alma what? just kidding. :smileytongue:

5. anything with sandalwood scents to it I was into sandalwood incense when I was younger from hanging out at head shops/music stores.

LCResz

Aww, Of Mice and Men is one of my faves, but then Steinbeck is one of my favorite American authors. To this day if I want to commiserate with my childhood angst I retread The Red Pony and bawl my eyes out.

FitFan

1. There were definitely a lot that I skimmed; can't say which I actually hated because I don't remember.
2. 8th grade city trip to a Broadway show and senior year hs trip to DisneyWorld.
3. I went to prom. Definitely overrated lol. We went for maybe an hour and then went to an after party in the city--that was the best part of prom!
4. HS slogan- One heart, One mind*
5. The cheap Calgon scents for late elementary school and Moschino "I Love Love" for high school lol

DoctorsMrs

1. Lolita. It made me feel extremely uncomfortable.

2. Montreal. It was my first trip to a foreign land :smileyhappy:

3. Yes. My date was really drunk. What an idiot. I should have gone alone.

4. No

5. I didn't wear perfume in HS. My first perfume was Calvin Klein Euphoria in college.

LCResz

Wow, Lolita is a bit much for high schoolers. As much as I love Stanley Kubrick as a director I don't really like the movie version of this book either. A Clockwork Orange, on the other hand, is amazingly uncomfortable in a great way.

prettyinpa

1- Moby D*ck- (I know the D word's going to get bleeped if I spell it out, but you know what it is). Golly, just get over the whale, willya?  Seems like old Captain Ahab could have benefitted from some meds on that point. I thought when it was first assigned that it might be a good adventure book but it was just boring and drawn out.

2- When we went to the zoo in Boston.

3- Junior high, yes, High school, no, because I was dating an idiot who convinced me that it was stupid. Turns out he was the stupid one.

4- I don't think we had one, or if we did, nobody knew it.

5- Revlon's Charlie- I used to practically take a bath in the stuff, turns out less really is more. Oh well, we were teens and all did it so I think we kind of cancelled each other out. :smileyhappy:

kimmi1115

(0) Hearts

Your commentary on Moby cracked me up!  I had to read part of it in school, and also watched a movie.  I don't know which one was worse lol.

DoctorsMrs

"just get over the whale"  hahahahah LMAO

babybear04

1. Name a book you were required to read in school and hated

Wasn't a huge fan of Shakespeare, unfortunately.

Two of the BEST field trips I ever went on was my 8th grade trip to DC.  Was totally unforgettable and an amazing experience.  Also, in high school for one of my media classes we went to one of our local TV stations.  That was awesome

High school feels like forever ago, and unfortunately I never made it to my prom.  My boyfriend at the time was a jerk and wouldn't take me, and I wasn't demanding enough!

I don't even think we learned an alma mater.

When I was younger, I was a huge Polo Ralph Lauren kind of girl.  I also wore one of the fruity escada perfumes.

kenny

1. Name a book you were required to read in school and hated.

Pride and Prejudice, it takes forever for anything to happen so it took so long to read. This is one of the few books I've ever disliked, I'm an avid reader with an appreciation for most genres,but I couldn't stand this book.

Going to Jasper National Park for gym class, it was a day trip and we went hiking.

We don't exactly have prom in Canada, but we do have a graduation banquet where everyone gets dressed up and I did attend that.

Nope, the only time we were ever taught it was during orientation and I have definitely forgotten it since.

There is a certain lipgloss scent that is a little bit fruity and sugary that always reminds me of when I was younger, but I don't really associate any perfumes.

GGrace

1.Jane Eyre
2. the zoo
3. nope
4. no
5. i don't know, i didnt really know any one who wore perfume when I was younger

prosopon

1. A book I wad required to read was Red Badge of Courage. I don't hate it per se, but I remember NOTHING about it. I must not have liked it.

2. Any excuse to get out of class was alright in my book.

3. Yes, prom was fun.

4. Being that I was in band, I can not only recite it, but I can sing it.

5. This one is hard. I didn't really start wearing perfume until college. So I am going to go with a general smell. Pancakes remind me of going to Denny's with my friends in band late at night after performances/events. Ahhhhh, memories.

DesertRose0706

[ Edited ]

1 - Between middle school and highschool, I read A LOT of shakepeare.  Not my favorite!

2 - I remember in elementary school, our teacher had everyboady dress up as if we were from the 1800's and took us to an old historic town with an old school building.  The whole day we pretended to go through a day of school as it would have been in the 1800's.  It was a lot of fun!

3 - I went to a small highschool and we didn't have a prom.  i probably wouldn't have gone anyways.  It's not what the "cool" kids would have done lol.

4 - huh? I dont know what this is, but i dont think we had one.

5 - When I was young and still playing with Barbies, I got one Barbie that came with a small flowery perfume.  I would wear it all the time because it made me feel like a grown up lol.  Now on occassion I will smell something similar and it will take me straight back to that time.

LCResz

[ Edited ]

@desertrose0706 your school song, usually a long boring poem set to marching band music :smileywink:

rikkie

Schools have songs down there??? I knew Americans seemed to take high school way more seriously than we did in Canada, at least on tv, but whoa. 

LCResz

[ Edited ]

School spirit is a big deal down here in South Florida, I dunno,  maybe the heat fries our brains and makes us over zealous about teen sporting events, lol

lillyjumper

1. Sophie's World 

2. when we went to a Marsh for Biology and no one knew about the trip until the morning of the trip during morning meeting.

3. I might.. im only a jr and prob wont have anyone to go with..

4. I cant :smileyvery-happy:

5. No idea... probably something like the justin bieber just because of the name..

joeanne

Going to the prom with friends is better than going with a date! You get to dance and socialize with lots of people and it's much more fun!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 90 replies
  • 165 hearts
  • 41 in conversation
    • kalex
    • kenny
    • prettyinpa
    • DTalksAll
    • prosopon
    • arielaaaaaaaa