orlando09

Sample Society vs. Birchbox vs. Luxe Box

I am thinking of joining a monthly sample program and cannot decide which one would be best. Does anyone have suggestions?
stemar

Re: Sample Society vs. Birchbox vs. Luxe Box

This is so interesting! I just joined Birchbox a couple weeks ago and am waiting for my 1st box to ship! I hope I get the Gossip Girl themed one! As a side note for those thinking of joining, it did take me about two weeks to get off the waiting list so keep that in mind! 

jojobe

I have tried all but the Luxe box. I Joined Birch Box a few years ago when they started and I was sadly disappointed. They sent basically crap. I have been  a suscriber to MYGLAM and yes this month's bag was better, but for 10.00 buy yourself something you want. I do not need a new makeup bag every month and the with the exception of the UD sample liner, I have no use for everything else. I did like the Dermstore coupon last month however because it let me get stuff like my Clarisonic brushes for less. I am going to see what comes in May and if it is crappy again I will definatly cancel. I ADORE the Sample Society although I normally don't use the code.  While yes you get skincare stuff too, I have only gotten 1 perfume sample and was Oscar De LaRenta. I have not gotten any nail polish yet. WOOOHOOO .. I have enough, especially now that I just bought the new Sephora OPI scented set in fruity...yum. I Have done Go Go girlfriend and that is okay some of the time. Most of these services you won't get makeup samples, because they just don't make them like they do skincare stuff. If you like suprises, these boxes can give you a little present every month and occasionally find a good product. For now I will stick with my Allure one for sure.

lowrah

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

My May BB was kind of Meh.

Stila liquid eyeliner in Rock candy, which is a gorgeous metallic brown- the only thing I was excited for

Shu Uemera oil shampoo, I used this last night and it smells good and made my hair soft, but does nothing for frizz/knots/volume and costs $55 for the full size

Dior Miss Dior perfume, this scent reminds me of my mom's 80's/90's perfume

and miracle skin transformer for the body in glow.. not sure what this really does

Oh, the lifestyle item? a NOTECARD. I'll use it, but that's lame.

I did get a couple color club nail polishes for free using points though.. no idea when they'll ship

lowrah

[ Edited ]

Here's what I will receive from Birchbox today. It's $10/month and TOTALLY worth it:

The Essie luxeeffects is a FULL SIZE (Retails $8) don't know what color I'll get

The Tarte Lipsurgence is a FULL SIZE (retails $24) don't know what color I'll get

The brown tube is a deluxe sample of Kerastase Elixir Ultime

Kate Spade Twirl perfume, similar to the freebies Sephora gives out

A Twistband brand hair tie, these got good reviews and 12 of  them go for $18.

The two f/s products alone make it worth it.

My last month's box contained:

A pretty hefty sample of Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant®

4 Eye Rock Designer Liners  These go for $13 for 8

Jouer Luminizing Moisture Tint This was a tiny sample, the size of my pinky

A decent sample of Juice Beauty Blemish Clearing Serum

2 packets of Supersmile Powdered Mouthrinse

PLUS!! You get 10 points for reviewing each item you get in the box, and 100 points equals $10 for their store. They offer free shipping on items featured that month, and you can wait until you have a ton of points. Some girls over at Makeuptalk have bought tons of stuff and only paid like $2.

On makeup talk, the girls post price estimates for each box (they subscribe to a ton of them, from bb to sample society to eco emi, etc) and it's almost always more than the price they paid.

The only advice I have is to stay away from GoGoGirlfriend and Sindulge. They supposedly have terrible customer service, charge people too much, and don't ship boxes.

kssweetheart

OMG lowrah, I'm so jealous. I  joined Birchbox a few months ago and did get an email the other day telling me my March package was on the way s/b here tomorrow. I noticed that you said that you will receive the kit shown today. How were you able to see what is coming? That kit looks awesome and home mine is similar (although I already have the Tarte Lipsurgence somewhere) The nail polish looks great, hope I get that, and I usually give perfume samples away.

Last month I got the Dermalogica, the tiny Jouer and 1 packet of Supersmile. I got a 3 pack of Violent Lips Gold Glitteratti Temp Lip Tattoos & tiny Benta Berry Moisturizer. Did you like the Eye Rock Liner (cool) and the Blemish Clearing Serum (would've liked that)But I suppose you could say, "Birchbox is like a box of chocolates... "(you kinda need the Forrest Gump accent to appreciate that)

I didn't know that you get points for reviewing, must not have read info thoroughly enuf or just forgot, I'm glad you mentioned that, thanks. I'll have to check out makeuptalk, help me decide if I want to do others like this, Have you done any others? Also, did you get an "extra" kit this month by Vichy?

Thanks for the info. I'm glad I caught your post. :smileyhappy:

lowrah

If you log in to birchbox, click the tab that says "BOX" and you'll see which one you're getting. There'll be a picture similar to the ones I posted.. they don't show what colors you get though. I got Lucky lipsurgence and the pink essie though today.

And to review, go there again and click your items and then by the "BUY" buttton or whatever it is, there'll be a "Give Feedback" button. You have to do it before the next box is up though.

I didn't know about either of those features til I joined Makeup Talk.

I haven't used the eyeliner stickers yet because they're huge and I haven't gone anywhere exciting, did you like the lip tattoos?

I didn't get the Vichy kit. :smileysad: hopefully next time they'll pick me.

As for other subs, I've done Conscious box, which is not really makeup/beauty but green stuff and I like it. It's $19/month though.

Eco-emi, I got a bonus box last summer but it kind of sucked, IMO. Plus Makeuptalk people say that they send expired food.

The girls on Makeup Talk post their boxes all the time for all the subscriptions. Some of them have like  20 subs!

makeupobesessed

Hey gals, I joined luxe yesterday for one cent and my first box is on its way...it's about nail polish and such but someone on here posted a code under nails...just thought I'd pass that on...I may cancel after the first month but at least it's free now!
mermadelove

(0) Hearts

@makeupobsessed: IT was JULEP that you joined for one cent! LOL!

If anyone is interested in the new one cent code and link for MArch, PM me!

And BTW, you've TOTALLY got me looking into Birchbox now!!!!!

mermadelove

P.S. If any of you Birchbox ladies have referral links r discount codes for Birchbox, PM me! Thanks!

jxw200

i think sample society is really good based on the reviews that I've read. it's from allure magazine and the $15 per month can go towards a purchase of a product you got each month (which seems like a great deal if you're going to be buying products)

i subscribed to birchbox for almost a year and there were some great samples and even full size products, but it started to be redundant (for me at least). also i discovered yesterday you can only review a product the month you get it (for points) and I typically don't go through samples that fast :/ I canceled last summer, and don't feel like i missed anything (Except that jouer/birchbox gloss looks pretty) i signed up for the teen vogue box this month and will probably cancel again.

tet tube (based on reviews i've read) are more skincare oriented. myglam seemed to have a good debut box but there was a huge fiasco with a mislabeled skincare product last month (and based on some things i read, it totally messed up people's skin)

i think the sample society might be a great option... but i've determined sample boxes are just too much for me (i have way too much stuff, so most of my birchbox products are still in their original boxes! lol) 

lowrah

[ Edited ]

I have one, but I can't figure out how to PM you!

ETA: I figured it out.

mermadelove

Got it! Thanks, hun!

kssweetheart

Hey orlando09 - it's kssweetheart, I'm back with more Birchbox info.

2nd kit - Feb 2012 - Spotlight

**Benta Berry G-1 Moisturizing Face Cream - .1 oz/ 3 ml

**Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant -  .45 fl oz / 13g - generous size

**Jouer Luminizing Moisture Tint - .07 fl oz / 2.3 ml

**Violent Lips Temporary Lip Tattoos - says contains 3 appliqués - haven't opened/tried yet - waiting to do with my niece Cant Wait!

**Supersmile Powdered Mouthrinse - single use packet

**info download 6 free tunes from Green River Ordinance

Then I got another kit this month by Vichy Skincare - the enclosed postcard read "We know you love your monthly Birchbox deliveries, but isn't it nice to get an extra treat now and then?" Now, this is not my regular monthly kit. I just got an email from Birchbox yesterday stating that my March kit was just shipped. So In answer to the question that Birchbox posed - above - Yes, it is nice to get an extra treat now and then..BUT....not if I'm paying for an extra kit when I only approved of 1 monthly kit & 1 charge on my credit card. I'll have to see if they charged me for this, or if this is just a great extra freebie. If I was charged for it, I'll have to go back and re-read the agreement and see if it states that they would send extra kits periodically and charge me for them - because if it said that and I agreed to it I REALLY don't want to call and make a big stink about it and end up feeling like a fool. So I'll keep you posted on that. In the meantime this bonus kit by Vichy includes:

**Purete Thermal 3-in-1 One step Cleanser - 1 oz / 30ml - cleanses, tones, removes makeup

**Aqualia Thermal Cream - .5 oz / 15ml - 24 hr Hydrating Care for the face

**Purete Thermal Eye Makeup Remover For Sensitive Eyes - 1 oz/ 30 ml

**Lifactiv Rhamnose Night - .5oz/ 30ml - Nighttime Anti-Wrinkle & Firming Care for Face, Neck and Decolletage

**Celludestock - .23 oz / 7 ml Packet - Intensive Treatment for Cellulite

So, this kit had generous sized samples, again, just have to see if I was charged and if so, double check the agreement that I agreed to (sounds stupid) Time will tell.

I'll come back and let you know what the real March 2012 Kit includes. I'm not sure how long I'll continue this, I guess I'll give it atlleast a few more tries. I'm also hoping that we get some detailed info from other people about the other programs that have been mentioned. That will factor in my decision re: 'should I stay or should I go' with Birchbox.

Hope this helped. Let me know what you decide, okay? Thanks.:smileyhappy:

makeupobesessed

Wow, I didn't know any of these existed...is it worth 15$ a month for samples? Which is better to go with?
kssweetheart

hi makeupobsessed - yeah, isn't this pretty cool? I'm still on the fence about whether it's worth it or not. I'm hoping that others will give more detailed info about what they've received from other programs. I guess I could cancel birchbox and sign up for a different one for a couple of months and see what I think. You can always go back and re-join to my knowledge. There is also something called Makeup Tube, it's a lot more expensive but you do get more products and some full size or close to full size products. I'm really embarrassed to admit that I have gotten I think 3 'Tubes" and haven't really used them yet, I just kinda put them aside and never really went back to them. I feel pretty guilty about it, and stupid. If you like I can grab 1 or 2 and let you know what I got. Just let me know. Have a great day.

kssweetheart

Hi orlando09 - I just recently joined Birchbox, I've gotten some fun stuff and everything is always beautifully packaged, cute box with everything wrapped in colorful tissue paper and a little card listing and giving info of enclosed products. I'll give you a breakdown of what I've got ten and you can judge for your self.

First box - Jan 2012 - "Clarity"  - included:

**Juicy Couture EDP Spray - .05 FL. OZ./ 1.5 ml

**Miracle Skin Transformer, Treat & Conceal for Eye & Face in Lt/Med - tiny tube didn't give exact size/ounces

**VMV Hypoallergenics Re-Everything: Eye Serum - .4 fl oz / 12 ml - pretty generous size

**Zoya Nail Polish in Megan .25 fl oz/ 7.5 ml - kind of pale grey color, not my fave, color-wise

**Then they included what they call a Lifestyle Extra - 'witchcraft Granola  - description "This Toasty granola, from Top Chef judge Tom Colicchio's NY based 'witchcraft chain, takes care of snack craving without any guilt. I actually thought it was a little packet of potpourri when I first saw it, duh.

**Finally there was a little refrigerator magnet and post card with ideas for  "Mini Detoxes" for different areas of your home & life

I've gotta run, have to go feed my dog, Brinderella, -- Ask not for whom the dog barked, she barked for ME - that won't be funny if you haven't heard the quote B4, sorry. and actually, she didn't bark, she's a Greyhound and they don't generally vocalize much. She cries like a baby though and can kinda' bark in her sleep. She also howls life a wolf in her sleep, in the middle of the night, in my bedroom. It is scary as heck waking to hear a 'wolf' howling in your bedroom at 3am! It's funny after the fact though. Love me my Grey-girl:heart:

I'll come back in a bit to tell you what was in the other 2 packages I received.

Also, when you go back to their site and purchase any of the products received during that month you get a discount on those items, can't remember the particulars, sorry. 

lowrah

Check out MakeupTalk (it's a message board, you can lurk though). The girls there post every month about their subscriptions, and there are a lot of them covered.

I like Birchbox and Conscious Box (not beauty though)

glossjuunkiee

Oh my goodness. Check out MyGlam!
kssweetheart

Hi glossjunkie - do you have any more detailed info about myglam that you can share? I'm currently doing Birchbox and will break down what I've gotten so far in another post to orlando09 who started this thread. If I can get a first hand 'report' on myglam it may help me decide whether or not I should switch. How about the other one mentioned? Luxe Box? Any info on them? Thanks in advance.

kalex

[ Edited ]

Re: Glossjunkie -

Do you use MyGlam?  Is it any good?  I recently read/heard somewhere that they give out alot of infomercial type junk.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 36 replies
  • 56 hearts
  • 14 in conversation
    • kalex
    • mermadelove
    • tclack
    • orlando09
    • jxw200
    • ran8