orlando09

Sample Society vs. Birchbox vs. Luxe Box

I am thinking of joining a monthly sample program and cannot decide which one would be best. Does anyone have suggestions?
glossjuunkiee

Re: Sample Society vs. Birchbox vs. Luxe Box

I don't, but I've heard so many good things about it--and it's made up of five great beauty gurus on YouTube.
neighburrito

Actually, after their January and february shipping/missing bag fiasco, lots of youtubers did videos of MyGlam's horrible customer service (ie.  none at all).  They're starting to call them MyScam.  It's pretty bad.

mermadelove

I tried joining Birchbox and even with a referral link I was put on a waiting list and haven't heard a thing back yet!

lowrah

mermadelove, have you made it off the wait list yet? The May box will be Gossip Girl themed.

lowrah

(0) Hearts

If anyone is curious, this is the box I got this month.

So far, it's the "worst" one I've received, still good though. There's a hair mask, 2 laundry detergent pods, Taylor Swift's Wonderstruck, Juice Beauty moisturizer, and Zoya nail polish, but I got Lotus, which is purple.

mermadelove

@lowrah: I FINALLY got off the waiting list and my box has shipped. I'm supposed to get it tomorow. OF course, tomorrow I'm working a 12 hr day, so I won't get to see it until late tomorrow night! I did cancel my Julep membership because I thought $10 a month for a variety of products ( some full sized) was better than just mani/pedi stuff from one brand for $20.

lowrah

I got my referral points! Thanks again. Did you like your box?

tclack

(0) Hearts

Do you want another referral for BBox? I'm about to sign up & thought I'd check on here first. Thanks!

mermadelove

I wasn't totally in love with this one. It was a "Welcome" bix as opposed to the April box that everyone else got, so I was a bit disappointed. But not enough to cancel my subscription. I'm taking the face wash/scrub and moisturizer with me to the hospital when I deliver, and I''ll throw the perfume sample and nail polish sample in my donation box!

I was really looking forward to trying some of the stuff in the April box, but oh well!

lowrah

[ Edited ]

Did you get the BeFine skin care samples? Be careful, the girls at Makeup Talk just realized that they're expired. Some of them even smelled rancid. If you have expired samples, e-mail birchbox and they should make it right.

This is the first time I've heard of expired products being sent in BB. (Eco-emi has been known to send expired food products, and I guess Conscious Box sent some that were expired by a month this month)

Also, May's box is going to be inspired by Gossip Girl, so it should have really awesome stuff inside of it. Everyone gets one of these boxes as default.

mermadelove

OMG, lowrah: THANK YOU for the heads up about the expired products. Mine totally were!!!! I'm so glad you told me to check! I would have been so mad to not realize it until AFTER I was at the hospital and ready to use them! I'm calling them ASAP!

ran8

After reading and watching videos about these, these subscriptions are not very reliable or carry worthwhile products (expired ones?  No thanks).  There are very few, "I am so in love with this service," responses either.  Interesting idea but not very well executed. 

Will these become better over time?  Maybe but I doubt I will be joining one anytime soon. 

Thanks for the heads up.  These posts are definitely reaffirmation that my lack of interest was spot on. 

mermadelove

I have a few friends that I just found out have Birchbox and really love it. I just got an email from them giving instructions on how to get 100 points credit for the expired samples sent from that one company. I'm going to give them a chance and see what happens. 

lowrah

You should be able to get at least May's box. Some people only had to wait a couple days, others weeks.

janinebt

I've heard phenomenal things about Birchbox. One of my old co-workers use to always tell me about her new products. I've also heard wonderful things about MyGlam. I'll have to check out Sample Society and Luxe Box. I really love the idea of getting new goodies monthly, it's like the netflix of the beauty industry :smileyhappy:

Whimsically yours,
Janine
kalex

I joined the Sample Society and my first box is on it's way.  It's $15/month and they send an email with a tracking number and a list of what's in the box.  I'm getting:

Ren Glycolactic Skin Renewal Peel Mask Deluxe Sample

Oscar de la Renta Eprit d'Oscar Eau de Parfum Deluxe Sample

Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant Deluxe Sample

Fekkai Advanced Glossing Cream Deluxe Sample

Skyn Icelandic Relief Eye Pen Deluxe Sample

I've heard really iffy things about Birchbox - apparently some months are great and others are awful.  I've never heard anything regarding Luxe Box.

Let us know what you decide!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 36 replies
  • 56 hearts
  • 14 in conversation
    • kalex
    • mermadelove
    • tclack
    • orlando09
    • jxw200