beautytester

Rosewater DIY! Do you use rosewater?

[ Edited ]

I made rosewater! Color me pink excited. The rose at my parents house were blooming, so I decided to try making rosewater, which the internet claims to be very easy. (I've no idea how big these pics are going to appear, so apologies in advance).

...and it is, but the first step is sooo tedious. You have to make sure to use rose without pesticides/chemicals, then wash all the dirt/bugs off the petal. It's like a mini-world between the layers of petals...dense miniture spiderwebs, giant ants, tiny green bugs that I wouldn't know were bugs until they moved, and dead bugs. You really have to wash the petals one by one, which take foreeeeeever. I would've given up if it didn't look so pretty and smells so heavenly.

Once they are washed, put then in a clean pot and cover with distilled water. Too much and you might dilute them, so just until it covers the petals. Then simmer until all the colors are gone:

image_1.jpegThe more fussy method is putting a bowl in the middle, invert the lid, and the condensation that drips into the bowl is the purest rosewater. I tried. Meh.

If you boil it too long, the rosewater become diluted and start losing its scent. I think I boiled it too long, cuz the final water only have a hint of rose. In any case, I decided to put it in a spray bottle as a refresher for after exercise/on hot days:

image_2.jpeg

I intend to use it as a toner, but the water actually left a purple stain on white napkin/bowls when it dries (washes off pretty easily) so now I'm hesitating about putting it on my face, but I poured 2 cups into the bath and I didn't come out purple/pink (feel like a princess, with the rosewater bath and petals floating on top <3). Once my skin adjusted to the skincare I'm currently playing with, I think I'll try it on my face. Have anyone ever used pure rosewater? I'm kind of tentative about trying it.....o.o

It's a fun (and very pretty/nicely scented) project if you've got time to spare. Tho I think I'll just stick to purchasing rosewater at stores from now on....anyways, just a random share.

Esdee

Re: Rosewater DIY! Do you use rosewater?

This amuses me, because for the longest time I needed rosewater for a candy recipe, and the only type I could find was what's found in the cosmetic section.  Sorry, if you can't guarantee it's food-safe, I'm not eating it!  :smileyvery-happy:

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

I want to make Rose water!! Every now and then i'm like hey, i'm bored maybe i should, then i forget and end up doing something else haha!

rikkie

I think about it too sometimes, and then I remember there are huge spiders living in the rose bush. NOPE. 

beautytester

Note of caution: PLEASE remember to use proper sanitation method for everything including the storage container, and it's best to store in the fridge. The rosewater I put in my Clinique toner bottle is fine even now after 2+ month. However, I left some of the water in a washed food bowl, but I guess there's still some oily spots in the crevice of the lid because after 2 month I found black/white slimey things on the lid.

Spyski

DIY posts are amazing, thanks for sharing! Love it. Haha the wet rose petals remind me of ginger served with sushi. Now I'm craving nigiri! Nom nom nom

bellag2107

Beautiful pictures!!! I've used Pure Moroccan Rosewater before as a toner and loved it! The Rosewater is so refreshing and lightly fragranted. I find it soothing and hydrating for my dry skin. Plus, my skin glows after I use it. Also, this was gentle enough for me to use underneath my eyes. I purchased from Amazon. :smileyhappy: 

beautytester

(0) Hearts

ah speaking of rosewater and eyes. It's an awesome eyemask! I put my rosewater in the fridge, and when my eyes feel dry/hot/uncomfortable, I just soak a piece of Shiseido cotton in it and put it over my eyes, and lie down and just enjoy. Feels soooo cool and refreshing!

dannyc

Not found at Sephora, but wanted to share.... 

I had a coupon for BeautyBar and was looking at all their cleansing waters (new addiction?) & I stumbled upon....  NUXE Micellar Cleansing Water with Rose Petals

I got the small bottle for $13 but after I use up the Sephora brand one (yuck) I'm going to get the full size for $24. I like it better than the Koh Gen Do. 

E-mail NUXE, they might be able to send you a sample of it. 

beautytester

Woah, better than Koh Gen Do?

hmmmm..........*jots down NUXE cleansing water*

dannyc

(0) Hearts

enabling... sorry :smileysad: 

SailorK

Wow, that is so cool! I mix rosewater with witch hazel and use that as a toner after I cleanse my skin. 

beautytester

(0) Hearts

Thanks! I rather like using it as a toner (did not turn my face pink/purple). I kept it in the fridge and it feels sooo good in the summer!

janinebt

I really love rose water! Thanks for sharing this DIY project beautytester! Might have to try it.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
voxover

I've never tried rosewater. Looks intense to make! I'll have to try it next (I'm afraid it'd attract bugs--not sure how true the fragrance thing is, but my mom claims it all the time haha. If anybody has information on this, like more mosquito bites when wearing perfume, please let me know). Thanks for the idea, beautytester! :smileyhappy:

I'm trying using green tea as a toner and drinking it based on its antioxidant content and reviews on an acne website that said it helped calm and soothe--and it's really good for the immune system either way. It hasn't irritated anything and it doesn't have a strong smell, which is good. I'll try to post info if the results are worth mentioning.

beautytester

(0) Hearts

Oh green tea! Do you use the tea from tea bags? or something special? I know green tea and rosewater are good, but both of them stains white paper. They don't stain on my arms, but I'm kind of tentative about putting them on my face... o.O

As for fragrance and bugs....I think it's partially true. Especially if it's super natural/floral/true to actual plants. I have never attracted bugs when wearing perfume, but I don't spray so much that I'm a moving toxic cloud. However, I have this lavender/chamomile foot soak. You know how sometimes you get fruit flies over the summer? well, I forgot to dump out the water and found a bunch of dead bugs in the lavender/chamomile water the nxt day (no bugs in my drinking water, tea, etc). So.....yeah, I don't know.

voxover

I use Trader Joe's green tea. I haven't noticed any staining on my stuff or bugs attracted to me (Don't think that would happen unless sugar or honey were added, but I could be wrong). The smell is pretty mild and goes away quickly, so that doesn't bug me. I do try to stay away from delicate/fancy/white clothing in the summer or only apply things when I won't be out and about/active because it's typically humid and hot where I live.

As for staining, I haven't noticed any of that or a notable greenish tinge to my face. It's slightly green/yellow when I put it on a cotton pad and dab my face with it. I wouldn't recommend using it directly in conjunction with targeted treatment products that are meant to deeply penetrate the skin (I don't really know enough about chem or skin cell reactions to say if the pigmented part of green tea would get absorbed into the skin haha).

lylysa

Fun fun fun!!!!!!! Those pink petals look so gorgeous!

starletta8

So beautiful!!

carolang

I just bought the Mario Badescu Facial Spray with Aloe, Herbs, and Rosewater today at Ulta!! Only $7... smells HEAVENLY. I wanted a hydrating spray toner... thought about the one from Murad but heard it smelled like mangos so I gave it a wiff...  a little strong, not unplesant, but also triple the price of the Mario Badescu one. Highly recommend it!

DesertRose0706

That is really cool, I will have to try it out!  I usually buy rose water and put it in a spray bottle and keep it in the fridge for a refreshing mist.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 26 replies
  • 38 hearts
  • 15 in conversation
    • dannyc
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • janinebt
    • lylysa
    • beautytester
    • rikkie