ChicDabbler

Rosewater DIY! Do you use rosewater?

[ Edited ]

I made rosewater! Color me pink excited. The rose at my parents house were blooming, so I decided to try making rosewater, which the internet claims to be very easy. (I've no idea how big these pics are going to appear, so apologies in advance).

...and it is, but the first step is sooo tedious. You have to make sure to use rose without pesticides/chemicals, then wash all the dirt/bugs off the petal. It's like a mini-world between the layers of petals...dense miniture spiderwebs, giant ants, tiny green bugs that I wouldn't know were bugs until they moved, and dead bugs. You really have to wash the petals one by one, which take foreeeeeever. I would've given up if it didn't look so pretty and smells so heavenly.

Once they are washed, put then in a clean pot and cover with distilled water. Too much and you might dilute them, so just until it covers the petals. Then simmer until all the colors are gone:

image_1.jpegThe more fussy method is putting a bowl in the middle, invert the lid, and the condensation that drips into the bowl is the purest rosewater. I tried. Meh.

If you boil it too long, the rosewater become diluted and start losing its scent. I think I boiled it too long, cuz the final water only have a hint of rose. In any case, I decided to put it in a spray bottle as a refresher for after exercise/on hot days:

image_2.jpeg

I intend to use it as a toner, but the water actually left a purple stain on white napkin/bowls when it dries (washes off pretty easily) so now I'm hesitating about putting it on my face, but I poured 2 cups into the bath and I didn't come out purple/pink (feel like a princess, with the rosewater bath and petals floating on top <3). Once my skin adjusted to the skincare I'm currently playing with, I think I'll try it on my face. Have anyone ever used pure rosewater? I'm kind of tentative about trying it.....o.o

It's a fun (and very pretty/nicely scented) project if you've got time to spare. Tho I think I'll just stick to purchasing rosewater at stores from now on....anyways, just a random share.

DTalksAll

Re: Rosewater DIY! Do you use rosewater?

Oh my gosh, that's AWESOME! I love facial mists & always keep one in my purse during the summer, I might have to try this. 

I hear you on the cleaning petals part. Once a year I make a rose jam and to get the extract you not only have to clean all the petals, but make sure the white part is cut out (it's bitter), then saute, then boil.... 

ChicDabbler

I'm actually not much on the taste of rose. I had some pastry soaked in rosewater before, meh. I took a sip of this rosewater I made, but because most floral scent have dissipated it taste more like flower tea, which is ok, but meh. Tho I don't know if the taste of rose jam is very different from rose water......o.O

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

Rose jam has a very strong rose taste. I add to pastries and squares (but I'm not big on baking) and give some of it away to friends. It's an acquired taste, my family being Eastern European I grew up on rose deserts. 

violalea

[ Edited ]

wow thats is so cool. I wish I could have been there and seen how you did it :smileyhappy: Thanks for sharing. It looks fun.

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

Haha, I would've welcomed it. It was quite boring/tedious hunching over the pot/flower and examining every petal. Ever so often I would get impatient and think maybe I should just rinse them and dump the whole lot in the pot, then a dead bug would come out and I'm like....nope, I'm gonna stand here and wash them one by one. -.-;

violalea

(0) Hearts

haha yeah it seems like a lot of work but it's worth it :smileyhappy:  Your nickname is so right beautytester :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 26 replies
  • 38 hearts
  • 15 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • janinebt
    • lylysa
    • ChicDabbler
    • rikkie