kellsmuneoka

Ridiculous Prices.

[ Edited ]

Hey Ladies,

I just went into Nordstrom's yesterday and saw the most tacky and ugly pink sequined dress on the planet (in my opinion) and look at the price tag and it's $2,230. THAT'S RIDICULOUS IMO. I don't care who made it ,it was disgusting. Did anyone ever see a beauty product, clothing, etc where you had to hold back laughter and disgust because you could never imagine anyone buying it for that much if so, please tell me what it was and the price. 

xoxo,

Kelly

P.S I'm not trying to offend anyone who would buy something like that for that price, I just have a different style and budget.

lilyyy

Re: Ridiculous Prices.

My eyes are crying. :smileysad:

kellsmuneoka

I love seeing all your responses! It's hilarious. I feel like if you really want something you should get it as long as you aren't going into debt to buy it. I know people with a ton of money that would never buy a 15,000 purse, but this girl at McDonalds that i saw a month ago showed off her new birkin to all her friends and it wasn't even fake. Champagne taste with a beer budget.

katie1724

[ Edited ]

A budget is really all relative, as are the things you value and how you choose to spend money. I like to think of myself as reasonable, but my mother, for instance, would faint if she knew how much I had spent on one bag (but in my mind, I'd rather buy an expensive bag and have it last for 5+ years than buy a new bag every year or so).

I would never, ever spend money on an expensive pair of shoes ($500+, but let's be real; I've probably never spent over $115, to be safe). I know people who love to buy $800 Louboutins, but to me, they go on your feet, and I just can't get excited about them. A bag, though, I do value -- but some people are the opposite! I buy expensive makeup, but some would say that it all looks the same on your face.

Income is also a huge factor -- if you're making millions a year, or have access to it, spending $500 on a dress you won't wear more than a few times is nothing. To me (and I suspect to most people), it IS a lot of money. Another example is vacation -- I love to travel, and I'd easily spend money on traveling over other things. I have a great aunt, though, who never took her family on vacation because she felt there was nothing to show for it; instead, they chose to spend their money on nice furniture for their house. I value the experience and the memories, but she thought tangible things were a better investment. Again, all this to say that how people value things can be so different -- someone else's purchase I would throw a side eye at might be reciprocated by said person for my spending $84 on an eyeshadow palette when NYX makes lovely colors, you know?

reflectsgold

(0) Hearts

well one can travel and also buy expensive shoes :smileyhappy:

ladymeag

I wear a "special" shoe size (read that as: not usually carried in stores because my feet are like boats.) Finding shoes under $120 or so is all but impossible and the few times I have, they fell apart in about three months. So, on average, I spend between $120 and $200 on shoes, no matter what my income is.

That said, I just don't get $800 shoes that aren't anything more than a regular high heel with some stuff glued or sewn on. There's a significant comfort difference between shoes you can grab at Payless (which sometimes has my crazy special size) for $25 and most mid-range (say, $80-and-up) shoes but I haven't found any special properties in shoes that make them worth anything close to $500 or so to me. 

aparrish

High five! I used to be a 12/12.5 (a non-existent size), and since having a baby I'm a solid 13. BOATS!

SugaredMagnolia

What drives me nuts is the canvas and vinyl bags sold by high end designers.

I'm happy to pay for a beautiful bag, but some companies sell canvas bags for almost as much as they charge for leather.

lilyyy

[ Edited ]

This designer paper bag is $290. Can anyone top this?

29-1n025-brownbag-c-300x300.jpg

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

Oh ho, designer paper bag, sounds like it belongs to the same people who might own this: a $300 toothpaste squeezer.

upload_2181595958522765097.jpg

Oh but wait! if you think it's a waste, oh no no! I'm sure you can also use it for your hand cream too, cuz that would make the $300 price tag so much more reasonable looking. #Sarcasm

Spyski

Might as well use some gold plated staples priced at $175 for that bag LOLGoldplated-Staples.jpg

lilyyy

I guess if I had gold staples I would staple a suit, too? That's obviously the logical thing to do.

SugaredMagnolia

(0) Hearts

Ha ha. I remember that! I think it's an interesting comment...I wonder if they actually went into production with it and if it sold well.

lilyyy

It must have because there were copy-cats.

2010-designer-paper-bags.jpg.

SugaredMagnolia

NO WAY! Ha ha ha ha. That is hilarious. Wow.

midnightangel

People will pay anything for designer crap.

I do find it ironic that you're posting this in a high end makeup forum...considering that cosmetics - especially high end cosmetics - have the highest markup of pretty much any product out there.

Just sayin'...

Deep pockets don't guarantee taste.

lilyyy

I disagree that Sephora is mostly high-end makeup, I would consider that to be brands like Guerlain and Le Metier de Beaute. Sephora has a lot of mid-range prices.

reflectsgold

agree. Sephora is more mid-end. 

katie1724

[ Edited ]

I agree -- there's high end, and then there's luxury. Sephora doesn't really have luxury brands (maybe some are debatable -- Guerlain's skin care definitely is) -- I'm thinking of Sisley, Clé de Peau, La Prairie, maybe Tom Ford -- I think this is why Chanel bailed from US-based Sephora, because they wanted to be aligned with stores that sell these brands, rather than mid-range. Sephora is definitely known for being more mid-to-high end than anything. 

kellsmuneoka

Agreed! At least these things are quality and we get what we pay for! Ugly distressed jeans are a NOPE.

Kiki1517

I actually haven't lusted after anything that is uber expensive because I agree that they are so overpriced. I can never imagine spending more on an outfit than how many months of rent? I'm not a fan of sequins for the simple fact that they fall off, but I do have this little sweater dress wrapped up for my mini and it was 100 times less than the ugly one you saw lol.

upload_6921653066412141779.jpg

katie1724

I really like that! I have a sequined skirt that reminds me of that, but it's gold. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 91 replies
  • 143 hearts
  • 33 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • itscarin
    • prettyinpa
    • DTalksAll
    • reflectsgold
    • emmaclaire