Kiki1517

Reviews

[ Edited ]

Does it bother anyone else that people are allowed to post reviews on something they haven't purchased? I was looking at the UD Mother Lode to post a pic and I start scrolling: That's too expensive, or I wish I could afford it, or only rich people can buy this, thanks for making me depressed. There should be a box to check if you have purchased the item or a box if you just want to comment on it. 37 reviews and only ONE person that actually has it in hand :smileysad:

aviscardi

Re: Reviews

I see a lot of comments like "cleanser does not take off makeup well" but it nowhere stated thats the type of cleanser it a was and then gets a bad rating. personally i read through MUA as well because i find that people are a little more scrutinizing with their reviews. comparisons, even listing what shades they were in other fdns etc

Kiki1517

(0) Hearts

Me too. I usually check a few sites and browse through for a few lengthy reviews to get a feel for what people actually think. 

lucyshnoosy

I've also noticed that some people seem to down vote reviews if they disagree with the opinion.  I have seen thoughtful, detailed, informative reviews with lots of negative votes because the writer wasn't raving about the product.  That is not the same as an unhelpful review!

DTalksAll

I down vote a review if it was user error, didn't read the description, or saying a retinol product dried them out, no matter how thoughtful it is. 

SydBristow

I noticed the down votes too and I think that's a little weird.  I've even seen positive reviews that had just about everything except swatches get "No" votes and I can't figure out what more someone could have included for someone to consider it helpful. 

SydBristow

(0) Hearts

Doesn't seem right if someone doesn't actually have the product to post a review or rating on it.  Sets are different than individual products too.

ry22

Yeah, comments on products are for BeautyTalk.

glossyguru

I absolutely agree. You are all using the UD Mother Lode as an example, but I found this in the UD liner set too, as well as the MJB Love Marc set and a Tarte Lipsurgence Set. Sometimes I see them on higher priced mascaras as well. i find them really annoying and pointless. Sephora takes 72 hours to review your review before it's posted, so I don't understand why they don't just not post those ones

carrie1975

On the new Too Faced palette, Joy to the girls, the same person has like 35 reviews of it. They are all the same but I wonder how that could get past a reviewer that many times. Its either an error or she really likes the palette! Kind of annoying to have to go through 4 pages of reviews in order to get a second opinion.

lucyshnoosy

Duplicate reviews annoy me too.  They really skew the product ratings so that they are less dependable. 

missfawnie

Now thats just absolutely ridiculous. How is there no way to report these sorts of things?! I'm not one to complain, but seriously? You have to go to the fourth page of reviews to get past her spam of reviews.

Bumblee

[ Edited ]

I like sorting the reviews by 'Helpfulness - High to Low' (such as for fragrance sampler sets, reviews that list the prices of perfumes that can be redeemed always get lots of 'yes's to bump it up), but that depends on other users to downvote the unhelpful reviews (this may be a little skewed sometimes too).

ry22

Yes I agree! I try to only down vote the repeat reviews, the "haven't bought/received the product" reviews, and the "I knew I wouldn't like/can't afford this product but I bought it anyway and now I'm going to return it" reviews. I try not to down vote ones I simply disagree with.

lucyshnoosy

(0) Hearts

ITA!

garnett

I totally agree.  Don't be writing a review if you don't own the product.  You are entitled to your opinion but REVIEWS  is not the place to air it if you haven't actually used the item. Stop being a dingbat!!!

Speaking of things that annoy us about reviews- Am I the only one who gets really annoyed when someone talks about the color of the cosmetic but doesn't tell you which one they are talking about?  Drives me batty!  Don't tell me it's gorgeous, too pink, too pale, etc, and not tell me which one you purchased.  There.  I feel better!  LOL 

rdesigns

It bothers me as well.  Some websites have a "verified purchaser" feature so that you know that the person reviewing the item has indeed actually purchased it.

PoesRevy

Absolutely! It does not make sense or is helpful to leave a review on a product a person has never owned or even tried.

jojobe

I definitely think that the reviewers of the reviews at least make sure the post has been about a product that has been USED... They should also make a little note before you submit it to remind you to make sure you added the shade or scent. I wish I could afford the Mother Lode too but who am I kidding I hate shelling out for the palettes!

GGrace

(0) Hearts

I would love to be able to search by color and shade

BeautyJunkie325

I have seen those types of reviews on other items & it drives me batty!  If you didn't actually buy it then don't post. UGH!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 60 replies
  • 135 hearts
  • 39 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • fashionforlife18
    • hydee77
    • anaa
    • spoiledbrat
    • marydiva