milkyourmoments

Returning Products: How do you feel?

In all the years, I have shopped at Sephora, I have never returned a single item. Maybe it's because I put in a  lot of research before I purchase something. Maybe, I think of makeup like underware, and I find it weird once it is used/opened to be returned. I am just wondering how others feel on this topic. I have a lot of friends who return stuff all the time, and find nothing wrong with it. There probably isn't anything wrong with returning makeup, I just personally find it weird using a mascara and then giving it back.  How do you feel? I thought this would be an interesting discussion. 

solveig

Re: Returning Products: How do you feel?

Honestly, I've never been a serial returner (I think for the past three years I've only made two returns to Sephora). I tried to get samples of anything I am planning to buy and try it out before committing to a product (I have fair and sensitive skin, so I am always concerned about the shades that I use, or new skin care), and I really don't like the idea of returning a used makeup/skincare product. But lately whenever I ask one of SAs at my local Sephora for samples, I don't know how to describe it, but their faces and attitudes towards me literally change in front of my eyes, and it absolutely kills my desire to ever come back and buy anything from them (I can go on about it for a long time, since i just got back from the store where I ran into that situation again, just a couple hours ago). Now I am going to move my Sephora shopping completely online and only make occasional re-purchases in-store.

Sorry for flying completely off-topic here, hehe. I tried my best to not have to return anything, but I really don't feel like going back to the store and especially asking for help.

bijouxkristyna

(0) Hearts

I've returned one thing that was never opened or used.  It was a haircare kit that I had used before, but upon reading the reviews I discovered that it had been reformulated and so I exchanged it for something of equal value (haircare kit).  I don't have time to shop, return, shop so I try very hard to shop smart at all times.

I get frustrated at chronic returners.  They are everywhere.  I think some people really enjoy the thrill of shopping and then return things when they have buyers remorse, or when they want to move on to another shopping thrill.  Basically I think it's a problem for some people and they do it everywhere.  Kohl's and Sephora have very generous return policies and I've seen people "use them to their fullest".

phillips943

(0) Hearts

I spend more than most on cosmetics and I've returned many things. One of the main reasons I prefer to only shop with Sephora is because of their amazing return policy. There are some things because of sanitary or application reasons you can't really test in the store like mascara. If I think it's a terrible product I have no problem returning it. I'm always very sure to let them know what I didn't like about it too. Not in a rude way. I just think customer feedback is a huge help to the sales associates. I don't expect them to always know what is right for my skin but they might have a better idea if many people with blemish prone skin or sensitive eyes returned a product because they had issues with it. Also, with some products I've found I didn't have a sure idea of whether I loved or hated them until after I used them awhile and when I return I almost always exchange it for another product in the same group. If for whatever reason I return a concealer for example I have them recommend another one. Returning things has really lead me to buy more at Sephora because it helps me find several mascaras ,powders,ect. I really love rather than one.

claudiaanne

(0) Hearts

I'm not much of a returner but it's probably bacause my mother is a serial returner.  I alway hated being dragged to the store with her and having to do the returns for her.

I guess I was traumatized by returns as a child.  HAHA!

Anyway, I do return items but the returns I do are products that haven't been used.

antoine0000

(0) Hearts

I return things frequently if they don't work for me even if I've used them.  I'm sure sephora knows what to do with them !

I'm glad that they have a good return policy , it encourages you to buy more and try different products.

ANTOINE

islandqt

I'm not big on returning things period BUT I think it is important in the skincare/makeup industry that consumers have the freedom to do so because how else will the manufacturer know of any flaws in the product? In that way I think it's important that people speak up when a product doesn't cut the mustard.

That being said, I don't like when people give vague answers when returning something like saying "it just didn't work for me" or they've had a change of heart etc. I don't believe in rewarding fickle, erratic behavior.

Everything at Sephora is available for testing/sampling. They're not forcing you to commit to a product.

That being said I am not without my dissapointments. For example, many at Sephora and elsehwere buy into NARS Orgasm blush as being a "universally flattering shade" and this point was pushed on me when I was shopping for a blush. When I tried to wear it I realized it was chalky, too pale and overally just unappealing on my skintone and this is the only time I've ever felt conned. But I gave it to my sister who is much farer than me and the crisis was averted.

People will also abuse the system but for the most part I think people are honest and most do research before investing in the products at Sephora.

makeupobesessed

(0) Hearts

Returning:  I will never return things like worn underwAre...I feel that's just gross.  Anyway, as far as makeup, Sephoras return policy is there to ensure that I love everything I buy and if I don't then I get to return it.  I try to sample things so I cut down on buying and returning in case I don't love something but not always do I get to sample or I get something home and in a new light, the color isn't right or I use it for a week and it breaks me out etc....I don't feel I should  have to absorb that cost, especially if I don't have to.  I buy quite a bit from sephora, I'm loyal bc of their generous return policy, so it benefits the store as well as me.  Now I won't use something for six months and decide to return it, as some ppl do .  That is abusing the return policy.  other than that, I feel like I canreturn a product bc that's what the policy is the for.

katie1724

[ Edited ]

I tend to agree with you, milkyourmoments -- I always feel guilty returning, even though I know some stores' policies allow for it. It just feels wasteful to me, and I try to return only when a product is clearly defective. For instance, I did return a Too Faced Mascara that clumped really badly (to the point that I actually thought it was from a bad batch, since this product had never been that way). I have no qualms about this type of return. On the other hand, I recently bought a NARS mascara that I've used a few times. There's nothing *wrong* with it, per se; I just really don't like it and/or find it effective on myself. Since this is a matter of preference, I feel wasteful returning it. I'm having the same issue with a Burberry liner -- it just doesn't last on me. I know Nordstrom would take it back without question, but I keep going back and forth re: whether to return.

I feel like returning / trying things out is a fairly American thing. I could be wrong, but I feel like in (most of) the rest of the world, you can't return cosmetics, period (used or not) -- and sometimes even in stores where you are technically allowed to return clothing, it's just not really done, so when it happens, it's frowned upon (I found this out the hard way).

missjr

Milkyourmoments, like you I also do a lot of research before purchasing skincare and makeup products.  If I'm still uncertain, I will ask for a sample (particularly foundations) which Sephora is more than happy to provide.  So far, I've never returned a product to Sephora and am overall satisfied with everything I've purchased.  Every once in a while I wasn't sure if I was thrilled with a foundation but it always worked out in the end.

I can understand why customers return products that didn't quite live up to the hype or simply didn't work for them.  Although I've been lucky so far, I'm just glad that Sephora has such a gracious return policy.

spiritualizes

That's pretty admirable really. I think I've returned one our two things to Sephora. Both were toners, one broke me out and the other didn't do anything for it. I couldn't really "sample" the Murad toner or the Boscia one but I bought them anyways. I guess it's a little bit different with other actual cosmetics and not just skincare. I try to sample before I buy just to make sure that I don't break out - though I find it a bit ridiculous on my own part, for trying to use up or keep something that isn't working for my skin or is making it worse I guess, especially if I spent a lot of money on it. 

prettyinpa

Returns for me are very rare, but I don't think that I could justify keeping something that my skin had a reaction to or something that just didn't work for me.

I have to do most of my shopping online and it's impossible to test stuff out that way. The nearest Sephora to me is 1 hr 45 minutes away, so when I go there, I test like mad, but if something catches my eye in between trips, I order it under the assumption that I can send it back. That's just common sense and I do enough shopping at Sephora that they can afford to send the few items that I return back to the manufacturer. (I'm sure this cost is factored into the price we pay so the company isn't losing money at it either).

I don't look at the return like returning underwear, which by the way, I don't do, if underwear doesn't fit, I throw it out! Eeew.
cherrybombtastic

I've only returned one thing from Sephora and it was a skincare kit for acne that had horrible reactions to my skin. I had a terrible experience, though, because the associate didn't really want to take it back since I had used up most of a product from the kit. The other products in the kit were still more than half full. Other than that one time, I've never returned anything mainly because I've liked the products I've purchased.

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

I like Sephora enough that I hate returning items, but my impression is that they don't take the returned items and just put them back on the shelve, so it's not like someone else is getting my half used mascara/moisturizer jar under the impression it's new. At some point I made the decision of making returns because it is my money that I'm spending. I can NOT return the $48 skincare kit that will never work for me, or I can return it and buy 2 weeks of food for myself. Not returning products that you won't use and can't give away to friends is basically throwing away money, and Sephora's not cheap.  I return about....5% of the stuff I buy?

In general I feel more comfortable/justified and returns more items if I receive bad customer services, than when I receive good customer service. And, ok, this is a little me being cheap and angry and revenge-y, but I had consistent bad experience at the Sephora store I used to go to. I was so fed up with it that when I found a store with much better customer services, that I silently boycotted by returning everything I purchased online and in that store within 60 days, then re-brought them from the "good" store.

p.s. If you meant underware as in underwears, then ew no but then mine are cheap <$5 ones so nbd. If you meant underware in general including bras, lingeries, spanx etc, I have returned bras a couple of times because for me, finding a good bra is harder than finding a good red lipstick because they keep discontinuing my brand 1-2yrs after I find it. T.T

antoine0000

(0) Hearts

beautytester wrote:

p.s. If you meant underware as in underwears, then ew no but then mine are cheap <$5 ones so nbd. If you meant underware in general including bras, lingeries, spanx etc, I have returned bras a couple of times because for me, finding a good bra is harder than finding a good red lipstick because they keep discontinuing my brand 1-2yrs after I find it. T.T

She's right... I know from my g.f. that finding a good Bra is quite hard !

Antoine

beautylovingirl

I feel the same way I would not return cosmetic brushes or cosmetics that I have used, I really wouldn't even think about it. I look at stuff for a while before I purchase them.

sephoramusthave

I've never returned anything to Sephora either. I LOVE all of my makeup because I try it on *several times* in store before I actually buy it, so that I know that I like it enough to use it everyday. Plus, I've seen how the cashiers at Sephora treat the customers that DO return an item. Its awful. They have the original packaging, the receipt, they are following all the rules, and they still get an attitude from Sephora. If you are going to have a return policy, then bite your tongue when people actually return the item.

And dont feel bad about returning anything. Sephora sends the item back to the manufacturer, its not like they put it back on the shelf. They dont even use the used items as testers.

milkyourmoments

(0) Hearts

That's good to know, I always wondered what they do with the returned items.

waterbaby1981

A lot of companies (there was an investigation on this about six months to a year ago) apparently retag and put out returned underwear back on the floor.  Nordstrom and Victoria's Secret are both guilty of it, apparently.  When they did the sting and then confronted them on it, they had put two tiny sharpie dots on the tag inside so they knew which one was theirs.  Of course the companies denied they did that, but when the proof is right there...eww!  If it doesn't fit right, it gets tossed.

MacHora

Ewww and I like Nordstrom. I'm sticking to Hanes wrapped and sealed in plastic.

Manda

i return products and the main reason is skin sensitivity.  My Sephora doesn't have all the brands and when I would like to try something, I am not going to drive 45 minutes to go to the next Sephora store.  Most foundations, creams, and etc I cannot use because of my sensitive skin.  And as for samples, yes it does help but what makes one to say that you won't have a reaction after the sample is gone and you buy the product.  There are some reactions that don't happen over night and for me, it could take up to a week plus to show that I am having problems with a certain product.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 24 replies
  • 53 hearts
  • 20 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • prettyinpa
    • islandqt
    • sephoramusthave
    • cherrybombtastic
    • anaa