Rant: Reviews

kenny

Rant: Reviews

Sorry, I had to get this out...

But it bothers me when people write reviews for products based on what they thought or believed the product would do, not necassarily based on what the product actually does. For example when people write about a foundation, BB cream etc, with very little coverage and give it a bad rating although the company claims it is lightweight and sheer. Or on the other hand complaining about the heaviness or such of a full coverage foundation.

Or when people have unrealisitic expectations for a product. For example the tradeoff between between non-sticky or long-lasting lip gloss. Generally a longer lasting gloss will be a little thicker for the shine to last longer.

Or people who give a bad review for something just because the shade doesn't look as great on them. Just because the color isn't flattering doesn't necessarily mean the product itself is bad and deserves a very low rating.

I always take reviews and such with a grain of salt, since how a product works can depend on skin type, application, etc, and place more value on reviews that give an explanation for their review. But it still drives me a teeny bit bonkers when people do that.

Sorry for my little rant. Anyone else agree? Or not?

kenny

Re: Rant: Reviews

I definitely agree. It irks me when people are upset when there is very little product, even though it does say how much there is....

I think part of the reason companies put out such bulky packaging for value sets (which I don't really like), is to also convince people they are getting more. 

That is quite funny :smileyhappy:

One thing that has annoyed me lately, is people complaining about the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powders, because it is too subtle a highlighter.... I mean, I haven't tried the products (it's on the top of my shopping list though!), but in the descritption it says it is meant to be an all over powder, not just a highlighter.

beautylovingirl

OK so the yesterday or day before I was looking at the reviews for one of the B&B shampoos and I could not get my jaw off the ground when I saw the one of the reviewers said: "I was so upset that the imprint on the bottle wore off after only a couple of days". Promise that what it said and was like ,Whah????

kenny

I'm "lol"ing so hard right now! :smileyhappy:

ChicDabbler

I do wish we can edit the reviews sometimes, because I may give a glowing review but after the initial excitement faded, I realized that it clog pores/breakouts or have 0 lasting power etc, and I don't want to write another review.

I wouldn't mind anti-aging reviews from young people as long as it contains useful info. Some say they use it not for anti-aging but it also helps with texture/acne, that's fine, but just a "it feels nice" or "I feel like it really helps with preventing wrinkles" doesn't do much.

triciaann12

[ Edited ]

kenny

I know, I find that so funny! Usually it's a reference to normal skin "folds", so basically it's because your face moves so you don't look like an alien or super botoxed...

violalea

I agree. I was a little guilty of that when i was new here. I only had that 1 review cause I want to use a product for 1-2 months regularly or daily before writing anything now.

kenny

No worries, I probably posted some less than helpful reviews when I was just getting into makeup too. Now being much more into makeup I know more what is helpful and I also know what I like and what works for me. So basically I won't  scathing review of a super sparkly lipstick (for reference I don't really like glitter and sparkle on my lips), because I know it will be extremely biased.

arielaaaaaaaa

Oh i Love That you posted this!!! It bugs me so much!! Especially when i saw the one down there about the Ups thing!!!! Ughhh, Thanks for pointing this out!

dianabt

No problem! We do our best to make sure the accurate and real reviews are posted but so many are posted in a day that not all come through our filters and can be approved or rejected for a number of reasons. Reviews about samples, items that were returned, or items that caused breakouts are typically rejected as they don't pertain to the product- and what one item may cause on a client is different on what results it may have on another. :smileyhappy:

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
dianabt

@MoreGun89, we do have filters that will remove certain words but a lot of times our users get confused between posting actual reviews, and contacting us for support. :smileysad: We do moderate reviews each day and do our best to catch them! It looks like yesterdays posts have not been reviewed yet but they should be soon! I already took that one down.

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
sephoramusthave

Thanks Diana! I just hate it when reviews like that lower the rating for the actual product. I tried one of the hourglass powders on my mom in store a couple of days ago (luminous, and she ended up buying it!) and I thought it was fantastic. Gives you a noticable lit from within glow.

dianabt

Thanks for pointing that out! We'll have it taken down since it is a customer service issue :smileyhappy:

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
sephoramusthave

This is a review I just saw on a Hourglass powder....this person gave the product a 1 star review because of *UPS*

*scratches head*

1out of5

UPS is racist

Quick Take: i don't know

UPS refused to leave the package even when I signed saying I would accept responsibility if it went missing. I called Sephora customer service. UPS told them it was because of the neighborhood I live in. This is the first time UPS has refused to leave a package. It is also the first time I have lived in a mostly black neighborhood. The products were returned to sender. Sephora said there was nothing they could do so they lost a sale. I had more than one item.

Spyski

(0) Hearts

I literally just came across that comment as well. Wow

kenny

Haha! When I read this I was literally like, what? *scratches head*

I really wonder about some people...

I have also seen a couple reviews where people give a rating of 1 star, because the product arrived crushed or in bad shape, while that may be an issue with the product, it is much more likely something that happened in shipping! People really baffle me sometimes...

sephoramusthave

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Yeah! I have so many Sephoras around me that I rarely order online, the only time I order online is if I see something thats "online only" or if a certain products isnt sold at my Sephora, but its still sold on sephora.com. If you get a broken item, return it. I highly doubt that any of those people actually kept a broken item which means that they got their money back *and* complained about it. Sheesh! And she could have complained directly to UPS, either by phone, email, fax, or an actual letter. What does this have to do with Sephoras customer service? Does she think that Sephora OWNS their own UPS or something?

kenny

(0) Hearts

Exactly! That's why I don't really like to order things online, (and I like instant gratification :smileyhappy: )

To be honest, with some people I wouldn't really be surprised if she believed that, she did order from Sephora... :smileyhappy:

Only if something came to me several times broken would I complain, since that would more likely be the product, but still...

MoreGun89

I'm surprised that that wasn't removed before it was posted if there exists a filter. Does there?  Also, it seems as though they don't know how to differentiate between the Sephora and UPS services :/

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

Hahaha, I saw this on a product page. It's an answer to the question about whether the eye make up remover can be used for face. It made me laugh and I had to share:

"USE IT EVERYWHERE! YOU CAN POUR THIS IN YOUR EYES AND NOT HURT THEM. IT'S AMAZING"

Now, I'm sure she's not saying you should try it out like that (or is she? o.O), but given what some people do and the silly lawsuits that US sometimes have...

violalea

(0) Hearts

haha so funny.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 139 replies
  • 293 hearts
  • 40 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • kenny