kenny

Rant: Reviews

Sorry, I had to get this out...

But it bothers me when people write reviews for products based on what they thought or believed the product would do, not necassarily based on what the product actually does. For example when people write about a foundation, BB cream etc, with very little coverage and give it a bad rating although the company claims it is lightweight and sheer. Or on the other hand complaining about the heaviness or such of a full coverage foundation.

Or when people have unrealisitic expectations for a product. For example the tradeoff between between non-sticky or long-lasting lip gloss. Generally a longer lasting gloss will be a little thicker for the shine to last longer.

Or people who give a bad review for something just because the shade doesn't look as great on them. Just because the color isn't flattering doesn't necessarily mean the product itself is bad and deserves a very low rating.

I always take reviews and such with a grain of salt, since how a product works can depend on skin type, application, etc, and place more value on reviews that give an explanation for their review. But it still drives me a teeny bit bonkers when people do that.

Sorry for my little rant. Anyone else agree? Or not?

kissXmakeup

Re: Rant: Reviews

This one is for Benefit's Fake Up Concealer:

I really wanted to love this, since I’m a big fan of Benefit, but it just didn’t work for me. I have significant dark circles and thus use a lot of heavier concealers, which can get cakey if you are not careful. So I was hoping Fake Up would act as a nice hydrating base, while providing a bit of coverage, before applying my heavier concealers. However, it just never sank into the skin or set, even with a powder, causing my concealer to slide around and the creep into the creases (this happened even when I used Fake Up alone). Also, the added oil in the area caused transfer and smudging with my mascara and other eye makeup. I have combination skin, but my undereye area is in the normal range. I think this could be much better for someone with dry skin looking for light coverage.

Why would you apply two concealers? Sounds scary! It would be like applying two foundations! haha Oh my.

kd006

(0) Hearts

Wow! Have they heard of bobbi brown corrector?! haha.. I wish I could tell them it would change their life... lol.

starletta8

Hey, I need to defend that reviewer.  I routinely use more than one concealer in my under eye area- but more like a concealer sandwich.  Some of us who were born with ridiculous circles under our eyes have to take dramatic measures.

kissXmakeup

The fakeup concealer is definitely the wrong product for that! It is meant to conceal while hydrating, so adding powder and drying it out and adding a thicker concealer=a hot mess. An oil based product for oily skin was probably a bad idea too. 

starletta8

I agree with you.  Then again, it's possible to need 2 different types of concealers in different parts of the face.

Fakeup is meant for those who need light concealer and heavy moisturizer, IMO.

kissXmakeup

That makes sense! I use that under my eyes and I use a different one on other parts of my face, but never overlap them.

sephoramusthave

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I use 2 concealers sometimes----one under eyes, and one on face but I never layer them. Read the directions people! Sometimes something seems obvious but isnt----for example, when I first bought my thebalm overshadow I thought that it was mineral/loose powder eyeshadow so the first time I used it I didnt like it very much because it didnt show up all that well. And it turned out to be pure shimmer---meant to use OVER an eyshadow for a shimmery effect---hence the name *overshadow*. I felt soooo stupid lol.

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

Oh wow. Some people are just crazy. 

kissXmakeup

Can you imagine? Probably has a primer on, then fake up as a concealer primer, then powder then MORE concealer. woah. No thanks!

beautylovingirl

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

@kenny- Your welcome! It made mine too I had to share! Hilarious...

beautylovingirl

I seriously HOPE it was a joke maybe she did it too see if anyone would notice but still really hoping it was just to be funny because seriously I have that soap and it is an exfoliating  soap with all those little pieces of almond it could be too rough to swallow. SO maybe she saw the almond part and "delicious" and thought what the heck might as well try it :smileytongue: Who knows?

arielaaaaaaaa

Oh my, I once read a review on the Urban Decay website about their eyeshawdows, And i wish i took a picture, cause i was like what??? It said something along the lines that the eyeshawdows did not taste good at all, she was soooo disappointed because other eyeshawdows taste so much better...? Maybe she will be on that Strange addiction show along with that lady on the show that eats nail polish..

lylysa

O.o

My friend once worked at Bath & Body Works and had a guy come in shopping for his significant other (can't remember if it was his g/f or wife), and had my friend try a few lotions on her arm so he could smell it rather than go off the scent from the bottle. When she lifted her arm to his nose so he could take a whiff, he ended up licking her arm as to purposely taste it!

She was shocked and taken back!

I guess he thought it was a lickable/flavored lotion and just didn't know any better?

kenny

lol, thanks for sharing, it made my morning!

starletta8

I finally started writing reviews- but the ones without the exact shade drive me nuts!  Same with the perfume ones that don't give a decent substitute.  I find it useful to know what "family" scents are in.  For instance, if you like Clinique Happy, you may like Aqua di Gioia, etc...

beautylovingirl

[ Edited ]

So we all know that some reviews are just not that good but this one was just to "good" to pass up. This one REALLY takes it all home. This review was for the L'Occitane Almond Set you have got to READ this:

Heaven in a bottle

Quick Take: good value, smells amazing

I am a long-time fan of the almond shower oil and body oil- LOVE the scent, and makes skin so soft! I had to take off 1 star, though, b/c I did not find the "delicious" soap to taste very good...

Can you believe she actually tasted the soap???:smileytongue:

aviscardi

taste meaning smell?! lol

DTalksAll

I'm wondering if it got in her mouth by accident? Then again, I don't think any soap actually tastes good... 

kenny

yum... soap! I'm hoping this is a joke..

MoreGun89

That made my morning about as much as rediscovering iTunes has radio and a dancing Spiderman .gif this morning XD

sephoramusthave

This one's for a hello kitty brush holder....

(read all my reviews)

5 out of 5

So cute

Just ordered it so cute I cant wait for it to come

Why do people write reviews BEFORE they see/get the actual item?!?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 139 replies
  • 293 hearts
  • 40 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll
    • sephoramusthave
    • prosopon
    • tclack