kenny

Rant: Reviews

Sorry, I had to get this out...

But it bothers me when people write reviews for products based on what they thought or believed the product would do, not necassarily based on what the product actually does. For example when people write about a foundation, BB cream etc, with very little coverage and give it a bad rating although the company claims it is lightweight and sheer. Or on the other hand complaining about the heaviness or such of a full coverage foundation.

Or when people have unrealisitic expectations for a product. For example the tradeoff between between non-sticky or long-lasting lip gloss. Generally a longer lasting gloss will be a little thicker for the shine to last longer.

Or people who give a bad review for something just because the shade doesn't look as great on them. Just because the color isn't flattering doesn't necessarily mean the product itself is bad and deserves a very low rating.

I always take reviews and such with a grain of salt, since how a product works can depend on skin type, application, etc, and place more value on reviews that give an explanation for their review. But it still drives me a teeny bit bonkers when people do that.

Sorry for my little rant. Anyone else agree? Or not?

onomotopoeia9

Re: Rant: Reviews

(0) Hearts

Agreed!!!

I find that its best to go to the store and see for myself.

lreagan

The worst thing ever is when I'm reading this really great review and the person is RAVING about the color/shade of something and they'll say they have the same features/coloring as me and I'm like I NEED THIS COLOR NOW and then they DON'T SAY WHAT COLOR IT WAS.

Drives me CRAZYYYYY!

prosopon

(0) Hearts

Totally agree!

onomotopoeia9

that happens wayyyy to often.

i think people should specify what the review is on

DTalksAll

Because I'm reading reviews right now...

I can't stand it when people leave a negative review on a product that is meant to exfoliate because it broke them out. I wish Sephora had a "fact sheet" on the site that informs customers of what different ingredients are meant to do and that purging is different from having a reaction. As much as I hate having acne, I embrace purging... it means the product is working & bringing everything up & getting rid of it. 

kenny

I think ratings for skincare can be very inaccurate as so many people don't really understand how many products are meant to work or will work

prosopon

And even if someone else has sensitive, dry/combo skin like me, doesn't mean my face will react the same way someone else's does.  Inaccuracies in abundance.

drrragon

@kenny -- totally agree!  even with a good understanding of the ingredients, the changes can be so gradual that they're hard to detect.  For skincare reviews I typically only pay attention to comment on texture, fragrance, application.  As to whether the product is effective or not, I just read the ingredients label.

sephoramusthave

I agree on the SPF thing---people docking stars because a product doesn't contain SPF. Chemical sunscreen breaks me out, which is why I wear natural/physical block sunscreen, but I don't want SPF in my products, especially things like foundation and moisturizer. I use a full on sunblock everyday and don't care if my makeup/skincare has it, and prefer that it didn't. Also, I don't get why people dock stars for no spf in a NIGHT cream. *scratches head*

onomotopoeia9

haha - good point on the night cream.

they're probably trying to get a tan when they stargaze

triciaann12

[ Edited ]

kenny

I definitely agree! I think when you give a product a rating it should be purely based on what the company claims the product should do, and how the product performs compares to the same or similar products. Therefore how the product lives up to a person's expectations for the product or what they want out of it, or how much a product costs really shouldn't be taken into account.

Plus information like the size of the product or SPF is available beforehand. So don't buy something if it is a teeny size or doesn't have SPF if that's not what you want...

RxVanBuren

Kenny, I have to agree with you on the statement you made about lip gloss formulations. Also the comments that followed in this thread re: anti-aging products and the age groups reviewing the anti-aging products. I am 50+ years of age and I'm staunch about using a product or sample dedicatedly until the contents completely finished b4 i give any sort of review. Its that methode or I have used the product b4 purchasing it at Sephora and then re-purchasing via Sephora online because it is not carried at the Sephora stores. Instant reviews can be confusing if the product was in use too briefly or used in conjuction with so many other treatments or cosmetics that it is difficult to decipher what may or may not have caused the result of the product review. Being 50+, Im not new to anti-aging products or cosmetics (high-end & the lot). My reviews are forthright. I always say: to each his/her own. Reviews are such a grande & outstanding approach to assisting clients in finding "their ultimate thing". Thanks muchly for your original post.

dianabt

I just wanted to add that any reviews that are based solely on the price of an item, on a sample, or that are entirely vague, are removed. 

Please keep this in mind and also remember that reviews are based on purchased items and have to have a valid reason for their rating. Any customer service issues or questions are also rejected. 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
kenny

Yay! That makes me very happy to hear! I always disliked it when someone gave s product a bad review for an expensive product, since that tells me nothing of how the product performs. And "expensive" is a rather relative term.

So thank you so much!

kenny

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

kenny

Oops, put that in the wrong place :smileyhappy: Anyone know how to delete a comment?

ChicDabbler

Hover over your post, when the littlte gear/arrow appears click on that. There should be a "delete" option under "Edit your post". If not, it's a glitch and you should report it.

Yeah, if you log-in while trying to comment on a post, sometimes it takes you to a different one after log in. =/

kenny

Thanks for the help, that must have been what happened! I didn't see a delete, just managed to delete the text...

ChicDabbler

You're welcome! You should report it to Candece/mod2, so she knows it's not just me all the time, lol.

candyfloss1

I'm baffled when, despite the size of product being included in the description, people don't seem to understand what size the product was meant to be.  Or, if the company used compact packaging, even if it's a great deal, they still think they're being ripped off.  Equally, people who get upset when a palette recommends using xyz brushes, and people complain because they don't have the brush and somehow that makes the palette a bad deal?

One of my other favorite things related to this is when someone was very disappointed with an eyeliner because it wouldn't twist so there was very little product.  Only it was a pencil you sharpen!  What made it better was someone else was facing the same problem. :-X

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 139 replies
  • 293 hearts
  • 40 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll
    • sephoramusthave
    • prosopon
    • tclack