kenny

Rant: Reviews

Sorry, I had to get this out...

But it bothers me when people write reviews for products based on what they thought or believed the product would do, not necassarily based on what the product actually does. For example when people write about a foundation, BB cream etc, with very little coverage and give it a bad rating although the company claims it is lightweight and sheer. Or on the other hand complaining about the heaviness or such of a full coverage foundation.

Or when people have unrealisitic expectations for a product. For example the tradeoff between between non-sticky or long-lasting lip gloss. Generally a longer lasting gloss will be a little thicker for the shine to last longer.

Or people who give a bad review for something just because the shade doesn't look as great on them. Just because the color isn't flattering doesn't necessarily mean the product itself is bad and deserves a very low rating.

I always take reviews and such with a grain of salt, since how a product works can depend on skin type, application, etc, and place more value on reviews that give an explanation for their review. But it still drives me a teeny bit bonkers when people do that.

Sorry for my little rant. Anyone else agree? Or not?

lylysa

Re: Rant: Reviews

I certainly hope if I ever need a deep cleansing eye rinse it won't have to be at the cost of a pricey make up remover.

O_O

wingatprsct

Thanks for posting your "rant,"  I'm glad to know that other people are irritated by some of the reviews that are left.  I read one recently where someone with dry skin left a bad review on an oil-free foundation!  It was almost funny.  It's too bad most of the people we're complaining about will never get it.  I do appreciate the few helpful reviews and conversation in the Lounge.  It would be nice to have a check list of items left in a review to filter through some of the reasons for liking or not liking a product and also listing the specific shade they purchased for their specific skin tone.

TheBeautyBunny

Thank you so much for posting about this! I am very new to this site, high end beauty and review writing and I have written only a few reviews but I try to be helpful as possible. After reading this I now know to wait longer to write something and what other things I should include. Hopefully more people see this and follow everyones advice. 

beautytester

[ Edited ]

Well, I partially agree with you. There are some full coverage foundation that are not heavy at all, not everyone knows the trade-off for lip gloss (if it's advertised as lasting all day, I expect it to last 8-12 hrs, not 5 star review for lasting 5 hrs).

My pet peeve is the lack of useful information. Is the color unflattering on you? fine, what's your undertone/skin type so that I know if it will look unflattering on me, too. Does it make you break out? ok, tell me what's the skin type, weather, other skincare regimen you are using with. Reviews like "it stinks" or "it's great" doesn't tell me anything. Is the smell unbearable? is it because the scent is too strong or because you hate the way it smells?

The other pet peeve is irrelevant reviews. I was looking for serious anti-agers for deep wrinkles, but majority of the good reviews for the popular anti-wrinkle products are "feels nice", "hydrates well" or "smells so good!" and I'm like.....I don't care what it looks/feel/smells like!!! as long as it is as effective at anti-aging/brightening as it claims, it can look like dog po op for all I care!

kg1958

I had these age spots on my forehead that I hated.  It looked like an island chain charted up there, and made me feel so old looking.  I tried Bobbi Brown Intensive Skin Supplement, and in only one bottle, they're gone.  Totally gone.  

drrragon

well, sadly, for antiaging stuff i'm afraid we'll always be stuck with poorly written reviews no matter what.  i think the majority of people who use these creams never look at the list of ingredients and don't dig very much into the research done on certain ingredients by the medical community, etc.  Also, hardly anyone will ever be objective enough to look at her wrinkles before trying the cream, then 4 weeks later be able to say "my wrinkles have been reduced by 80%".

But for makeup, including colors, textures, feel, staying power, etc, I do find the reviews very helpful.

beautytester

lol, basically I look for the reviews that saids they saw a significant decrease in wrinkles from the 50+ age group. I don't want research, I just want to know if it worked for *your* wrinkle.

In general Sephora reviews are all pretty helpful, but I wish the reviews would state the shade (from either the reviewer or label from Sephora) because when somebody say "omg! This shade look so good on me." or "too much glitter" I don't actually know which one they are referring to.

My other pet peeve (I have, like, 999 pet peeves) is when people say product X is a perfect dupe for Y without mentioning staying power. It may have the same color/texture, but the main difference between some luxe product and good drugstore product are staying/lasting power, which is almost never mentioned.

drrragon

I just started doing that recently!!  Sometimes when I get annoyed with the reviews I filter it and only read the reviews from certain age groups, hahaha

drrragon

This Rant: Review thread is awesome!  I was thinking that one of Sephora's best and most valuable online assets is the massive amount of reviews that are available for practically every product.  Why not improve the quality of that asset and pull even further ahead of the competition by improving the reviews?  They could easily take the great ideas in this thread, condense into a short "Do's and Don'ts" list, and pop it up everytime someones writes a new review.

Honestly the awesome website is the main reason I prefer Sephora over Ulta (well that and the free stuff!).  Sephora has the best online ordering system, an abundance of quality product images/information, and reviews reviews reviews!

violalea

(0) Hearts

great idea drrragon!!!!!!!!!!!!

missjr

What an awesome idea!

tclack

I totally agree! I recently looked high and low for a good review on the Tarte EmphasEYES eye brightener & one of the only vids I could find was a girl complaining about how small the tip was... Really? It's for your waterline! Of course it's going to have to be more narrow. 

When they complain about something that was obvious in the product description that's their own fault, not the manufaturers'. :smileyhappy: Glad you all feel the same way!

lylysa

FYI, if you want a really good eye brightening pencil for the waterline, try Stila's Kajal liner!

http://www.sephora.com/product/productDetail.jsp?keyword=stila%20kajal&skuId=864934&productId=P11440...

It's very densely pigmented and a very rich formula that glides on super smooth and easy! I use the black on my waterline and lasts better than MUFE Aqua Eyes and Urban Decay's 24/7 liners on my waterline!

katie1724

NARS rue Bonaparte works pretty well for this purpose, too. (I tried MAC Chromagraphic NW15/NC20 (?) but since it's significantly darker than my skin is, it did not have the desired effect.)

tclack

Thanks!! The reason I was more interested in the Tarte version was because it doesn't have:
- Parabens
- Sulfates
- Synthetic Fragrances
- Synthetic Dyes
- Petrochemicals
- Phthalates
- GMOs
- Triclosan

I'm all good now - I got it and like it! It's not as long lasting as Stila or NARS, but it's less harsh on the tear and oil glands that line the waterline, so I feel better about it. :smileyhappy:

sephoramusthave

[ Edited ]

Oh gosh dont even get me started.....these are the types of "reviews" that I hate the most.

1. THIS PRODUCT IS NEVER IN STOCK!! 1 star.

2. I CANT WAIT TILL ITS IN STOCK!! 5 stars

3. I didnt buy this, but my boyfriend/mom/friend whatever loves it!! Without saying WHY they love it and WHY they think its so awesome (usually these are 5 stars)

4. THIS IS THE BEST SHADE FOR LIGHT SKINNED GALS (without saying the product name or shade)

5. THIS IS THE BEST PRODUCT EVER BUT SOOOO EXPENSIVE!! (if someone is going to RAVE about how awesome something is, then it should be worth whatever price they paid, and docking 1-2 stars *just* because its not in your price range isnt a fair review.

6. I DONT LIKE THIS COLOR ON ME. (Its *really* hard to buy makeup based on the pictures on sephora.com BUT if you cant get to a store they are *so many* beauty bloggers that put up *excellent* swatches online.) There have been *many* instances where I didnt like a color on me, but if I liked the formula I tried on other colors and more often than not, I found something I *loved*. Most recently, I got a point perk of Buxom Big and Healthy Lipstick in Brooklyn. I *hate* the color, I tried it on its own, I layered different glosses on top and I still dont like the color. BUT I *love* the formula so I tried on Las Vegas, bought it and its now one of my top 5/will- rebuy- everytime- I- run- out- no -matter -how -many -lipsticks- I -have. I also have London and Vienna on my shopping list for next time.

violalea

(0) Hearts

Add 1 : "so excited to try it", and I was guilty of this when I was new here. :smileysad:

Please remove my post Sephora MOD!!!!!!!!!!

solveig

I agree with everything that was said before me, although what irks me the most is when people give 1-2 stars reviews simply because the shade didn't suit them. Speaking of the shades, I find it irritating, when people praise or curse the product, most often eyeliners and lipsticks and nail polishes, and refer to its' color qualities (color payoff, pigmentation, lasting) without even mentioning the shade they've got. Certainly, there are products that are consistently bad throught their color range, but more often than not it is not the case.

drrragon

Totally agree with that one!  People always forget to mention which shade they are reviewing!  Maybe Sephora could add that as a field  when you are creating a new review, or at least a reminder.

tclack

100% agree! I ALWAYS wish they would list the shade.

sephoramusthave

[ Edited ]

I know! How can you say "this is such a pretty color" or "this is the most perfect color for this skin tone" without saying the shade name?!? Who will that review help?

I havent written a review in a few months, but I have written over 100, and I always try to be as helpful as possible. There's no point in me saying "I love this product!! Yayyyy best thing ever!!" without giving some sort of explanation.

Oh and I have to say this: I cant stand it when people write a review on a skincare item when they have only used the product ONCE. Like the Clarisonic for example. They use it once, write a rave 5 star review about how smooth and clear their skin is, then come back after they have given it a fair try and give it a very low rating because it just doesnt work for them. You cannot rate a skincare item (especially serums/moisturizers) after just a few days. Use up the bottle, then come back to rate it. If you experience a negative reaction and cannot use up the bottle, then sure, write a review on why it doesnt work for you. Oh and when people write a 1 star review on an anti aging product after just 2 weeks of use. PFFFT. If skincare performed miracle, no one would go to plastic surgery.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 139 replies
  • 293 hearts
  • 40 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • kenny
    • dannyc
    • sephoramusthave
    • prosopon
    • tclack