kenny

Rant: Reviews

Sorry, I had to get this out...

But it bothers me when people write reviews for products based on what they thought or believed the product would do, not necassarily based on what the product actually does. For example when people write about a foundation, BB cream etc, with very little coverage and give it a bad rating although the company claims it is lightweight and sheer. Or on the other hand complaining about the heaviness or such of a full coverage foundation.

Or when people have unrealisitic expectations for a product. For example the tradeoff between between non-sticky or long-lasting lip gloss. Generally a longer lasting gloss will be a little thicker for the shine to last longer.

Or people who give a bad review for something just because the shade doesn't look as great on them. Just because the color isn't flattering doesn't necessarily mean the product itself is bad and deserves a very low rating.

I always take reviews and such with a grain of salt, since how a product works can depend on skin type, application, etc, and place more value on reviews that give an explanation for their review. But it still drives me a teeny bit bonkers when people do that.

Sorry for my little rant. Anyone else agree? Or not?

lylysa

Re: Rant: Reviews

That would be SOOOOOOOOO helpful!!!!!

dianabt

I agree! I don't like reviews that just say "I hate this and thought it smelled funny" without even listing the color or shade used... That doesn't help me at all. Every product has a different finish or result on EVERY client. I think most fail to understand this and that not every product will always have the same miracle results as another product gives or client experiences.

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
kenny

Yes, it's almost funny how people expect a product to perform a miracle for everyone!

berniebeauty

I actually usually come to BT instead of sifting through reviews if I'm heavily considering a product. I'll make a post every so often asking opinions on certain products even though I know there are all those reviews out there. I guess I just seem to trust the opinions of my fellow posters more because I've seen them put well thought out critiques that address pros and cons and say things like 'the color didn't compliment my olive skin tone' instead of the reviews you mentioned. I hope no one finds this annoying haha. 

The other type of reviews I'm not crazy about are ones that just adore the product and don't say why >.< 

~We are all beautiful~

poshified

(0) Hearts

Speaking of reviews, the number of spam reviews approved for the Illamasqua Reflection is quite shocking!

http://www.sephora.com/product/productDetail.jsp?keyword=ILLAMASQUA%20Reflection%20Palette%20P383023...

ChicDabbler

LOL. Omg, I was about to say sometimes the website load slow so if you accidentally click the submit button multiple times, you might get multiple post, but this is like 20+ repeats. lawls.

sephoramusthave

(0) Hearts

sphorakenny (read all my reviews)

1 out of 5

WTF Kat.

I wanna try since a very long time ago and I have been looking for it in every store, even online and isn't even ever in stock. I'm tired of look for it and never find it, I'm done

This is a review on a KVD foundation.

kenny

I don't find that annoying at all! Certainly some colors really just don't look good on everyone. It only bother me when somone will give a product a poor rating ( 1 or 2 stars), just becuase the color they picked out wasn't complimentary.

katie1724

[ Edited ]

Unrealistic expectations -- or judging a product on purely personal criteria (i.e., "This is PINK! Pink washes me out.") -- really bother me, too! And while I've heard arguments both ways for this, factoring price into the star rating makes no sense to me, either. I have definitely mentioned "Not worth the money for what it is/does," or "Definitely worth the cost," etc. -- but I don't take away stars purely because something is expensive. (I guess an example of what I mean would be a glowing review for the product itself -- performs well, etc. -- but then docking stars because it's pricey.)

I think skincare products probably take the worst hit in terms of unrealistic expectations of what they can do, BUT I think the manufacturers can be equally at fault for misleading advertising (particularly with the anti-aging market; there are things a product can do, and then there are things it absolutely cannot, science-wise). I think people are misinformed, and then have totally unrealistic expectations of what something is able to do or improve.

I also can't stand reviews (I'm thinking of the NAKED palette in particular) in which, for whatever reason, it is clear that the person has never tried the product. I saw five-star "I can't wait to get my hands on this!!!" reviews, mixed with one-star "WHY IS THIS NEVER IN STOCK?!" reviews. I think those can be removed by Sephora when they're monitored / filtered out, but it was annoying to see them.

katie1724

OMG -- speaking of reviews...this is unrelated but I have to share. I just came across a review for a basic Longchamp bag. The person complained that she didn't check the measurements beforehand and it was smaller than she expected (...), that there were no inner compartments (...? this is in the description) and that she left her receipt in the store bag before throwing it away, and paid cash, so now she can't return it (!). Seriously...what is wrong with people?

ChicDabbler

Tehahaha. I do get annoyed with some vague reviews, but the best ones are the complaints from people who didn't even bother to use the products. The most amusing ones:

1. It look/smells so bad I didn't even bother trying it. 0/5 stars! (why are you reviewing it?)

2. It's bigger/smaller/different than expected and I hate it, but I'll give it 2 stars since other reviewers seem to like it so much. 2/5 stars! (a review of reviews)

3. It smells/feel so gross the first time that I rinsed it off immediately and dumped the rest in the drain/trash. 0/5 stars! (hello return policy?)

ChicDabbler

Lol, yeah, I don't throw anything away. If the treatment/moisturizer doesn't work for my face, it goes on my neck. My neck never feels anything, and you are suppose to moisturize it just like your face, right? =P

Bad cleanser becomes handwash, bad toner becomes facial spray after exercise (read: does not permanently stay on my face) or hair mist if it's a hydrating toner.

violalea

(0) Hearts

And i agree i dont throw stuff away, only when it was expired.

violalea

(0) Hearts

Wow good idea!!!!

katie1724

Yes! And bad lotion / shampoo / conditioner becomes...shave gel. :smileyhappy:

katie1724

Ohh, I know, the "went straight in the trash" comments always make me wince, too -- it seems so wasteful. No one you know would take it, really?? Also, return policy...? (Although we're really lucky here -- I feel like in many (if not most) other countries, you can't return cosmetics, period -- you buy it, it's yours.)

sephoramusthave

katie and beautytester----I could never just throw away a product either because money is money. Even if I got it for free I couldnt toss it. I've never returned a beauty item in my life. I play with testers, I ask for samples and anything that I dont like goes to my mom. I have friends/aunts/etc but I dont feel comfortable giving used makeup/skincare stuff to anyone but my mom. What doesnt work for me she usually uses up so its all good.

katie1724

I admit, I have returned cosmetic and skincare items (and have cringed while doing it, because while I understand the risk and implications of reselling these things, I can't stand the thought of it being thrown away, either). I could never toss anything! I would definitely give it to a friend or relative first :smileyhappy:

lylysa

Wow......some people.... tsk tsk!

kenny

I definitely agree with everything!

I know I hate when people dock stars for price... If something always gets 5 stars or high ratings elsewhere I think I might be willing to pay. The ratings really should be purely about how well the product actually performs (and packaging can be important) Also some people fail to take into account the actual SIZE of the product. Yes a product costs a lot, but it will last you a very long time.

Skincare products definitely are misleading in their advertising much of the time. But I think many people need to learn to think  critically about what the companies are claiming. Like "will improve the appearance of wrinkles". First it reduces the APPEARANCE not the actual problem, Second, by how much is the appearance improved?

I agree, I find it very annoying when people give a rating or such, for something they haven't actually tried.

lylysa

That's a good point on the "OMG!/GRRRR!" reviews, those are more "comments" than reviews and serve no use for any star ranking/rating system.

It's one thing to see a kit with an item you already use and it's for a great price/steal so you make a review giving info on the item included with the rest and then adding a "I've only ever used so-and-so, but for this price, you can't beat it, can't wait to try out the other items!" But it's another thing to judge or review a kit that there's no experience with.

As for skin care, I think most people just need to wrap their heads around the fact of time frames in which products work. I mean they didn't go from age 20 to 55 in a blink of an eye to suddenly wake up and deal with wrinkles, so why believe using a cream or serum for a few days will give you the results you want?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 139 replies
  • 293 hearts
  • 40 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll
    • sephoramusthave
    • prosopon
    • tclack