kenny

Rant: Reviews

Sorry, I had to get this out...

But it bothers me when people write reviews for products based on what they thought or believed the product would do, not necassarily based on what the product actually does. For example when people write about a foundation, BB cream etc, with very little coverage and give it a bad rating although the company claims it is lightweight and sheer. Or on the other hand complaining about the heaviness or such of a full coverage foundation.

Or when people have unrealisitic expectations for a product. For example the tradeoff between between non-sticky or long-lasting lip gloss. Generally a longer lasting gloss will be a little thicker for the shine to last longer.

Or people who give a bad review for something just because the shade doesn't look as great on them. Just because the color isn't flattering doesn't necessarily mean the product itself is bad and deserves a very low rating.

I always take reviews and such with a grain of salt, since how a product works can depend on skin type, application, etc, and place more value on reviews that give an explanation for their review. But it still drives me a teeny bit bonkers when people do that.

Sorry for my little rant. Anyone else agree? Or not?

neko333

Re: Rant: Reviews

(0) Hearts

I'm not so much the person that gets mad over a lightweight foundation being sheer. I am however the person that get aggravated when something is described as "light" and I get it and it's orange or some strange off color. I've pretty much decide that in certain lines fair and light colors just don't exist. Much like some lines don't carry things for darker skin tones. 

I do hate reviews that just say "I love this" or "It's great". You might as well not even bother to write a review because without answering why it doesn't really tell anybody anything important. 

I do get aggravated when people rate reviews. I've looked back at a few of mine and don't understand why it got negative votes. Generally it's on products I didn't care for.

ry22

(0) Hearts

I've noticed this too! I was stalking the Naked 2 palette reviews and noticed one lady gave it one star because:

-it couldn't do a smokey eye

-she hated the Naked 1 palette, but she went ahead and got this one

-its too bland (she didn't realize it was a "Naked" palette

-its too natural

Its been deleted now for obvious reasons, but it was hilarious.

DTalksAll

Or how people review products they haven't tried yet/aren't available. 

"This set looks really nice, I wish I had enough money to get this. I really want it so you should get it!" 

Or seeing reviews for a scrub that says to use on a "clean" face. 

"this didn't remove my makeup & stung my eyes" 

kenny

(0) Hearts

lol, I seriously wonder why people buy some things...

ry22

(0) Hearts

I love Sephora's return policy for damaged products, but some people really abuse it...

trulykelsie

(0) Hearts

I believe you can actually return any product- not just damaged ones. According to their return policy-

If you are not completely satisfied with a Sephora.com purchase or gift for any reason, please return it for a full refund.

Although, in this case, she definitely needs to be a more in-tuned/ careful shopper. Whether online or in-store, it would be hard to miss that the palette would be "bland" and "natural". I feel like that should be your reason to skip on buying it, not to return it. 

lucyshnoosy

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I don't understand it when a reviewer posts his or her review multiple times instead of just once.  This skews the product's rating, which I look at as a quick first bit of info on a new product.  It makes it hard to know the true ratio of positive to negative reviews.  Granted, I do go on to read individual reviews, but it is annoying to find that someone has posted the same thing five times.

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

On the concealer issue I think that people think more is better when truly it's a lot worse.

sephoralovex

I completely agree!!! Reviews are something i always look at before buying anything on Sephora. And sometimes that's what sells me on a product because of all good reviews. 

starletta8

OK, this whole thread is inspiring me to go back and do a few more reviews. HA!

triciaann12

[ Edited ]

---

starletta8

Exactly, triciaann12!  I know that I should really write more reviews but I find it difficult to describe things in a relateable fashion. I always read reviews and am grateful to those who write the great ones.

beautylovingirl

[ Edited ]

@triciaann12-Oh please don't I really think that could turn out bad.... I don't think you'll ever make it past the smell of most of them.

beautylovingirl

At least the lady with the LOccitane Almond Set described the taste of the soap you gotta give her props on that one.

triciaann12

[ Edited ]

---

crayzeeRN

[ Edited ]

ewww seriously? (in reponse to the lady tasting her almond soap!)

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

@poemelyric- That drives me insane too or not putting their skin type either on skincare.

poemelyric

Not telling what color they are reviewing drives me nuts too...  Put it in the subject line or something!  "It's nice and not to glittery..."  Well, that could be any one of the 50+ blushes that they sell!  I really hate that...

arielaaaaaaaa

I hate that too, I always sort the reviews by helpfulness high to low, or with makeup i search by pictures, cause they are usually more detailed with the review.

beautylovingirl

[ Edited ]

I bet she looked like a hot mess with double concealer. Yikes!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 139 replies
  • 293 hearts
  • 40 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll
    • sephoramusthave
    • prosopon
    • tclack