starletta8

Rant/Rave: Limited Edition Collections

This came up recently in the "annoying things that beauty companies do" thread, but it deserves its own mini rant/rave.

Why is it inevitably that I find my HG products only in limited edition collections? Likewise, it's ridiculous to fall in love with an entire LE collection (I'm looking squarely at you, Chanel summer 2013- you're going to kill me.) because either you spend ridiculous amounts of money to hoard backups (guilty) or are afraid to use the product.

Several other examples: I've bought nearly 50 purples, mainly lilacs, searching for the perfect shade.  I found it this spring at Sephora- Dior Colorvision. It's what I've been searching for in vain for 10 years. But now I'm afraid to use it.

Lipsticks: I bought YSL Volupte Shine in #6 because I wanted a nice, wearable pink. I like it, but it wasn't quite it. I broke down and tried Chanel Pygmiliion from the summer 13 LE collection- that's exactly what I wanted.

In sum, I love the special collections but hate that I fall in love and have my heart broken time and time again- am I the only one that this happens to?

janinebt

Re: Rant/Rave: Limited Edition Collections

Limited edition sets are always a fun thing to look forward to, but it is such a disappointment if you are unable to nab something before it sells out.

It always kind of baffles me when older items end up on eBay for usually triple what the initial cost was; especially when something is 5 or even 6 years old. I love my limited edition makeup items, but if they're past their prime I have no problem tossing them.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
katie1724

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I didn't get my own from eBay but I saw a Chanel Turbulent blush sell for $200+ once -- and it was used! I think MAC Stereo Rose is another one -- I never owned it, but I've heard of it selling on eBay for hundreds -- and considering what the retail price was, that seems crazy.

starletta8

(0) Hearts

WOW! Chanel Jade nail polish comes to mind as one I always watch baffled.

katie1724

[ Edited ]

Chanel is *THE WORST* for limited edition collections -- and for discontinuing random things from the permanent line! I can't tell you how many blushes they have put out with which I've fallen in love (Turbulent, Narcisse, Poésie, etc. -- the first two I think were permanent and discontinued, and the last was a limited edition) -- and then it's a mad dash to buy a backup before you can't get it anymore. I don't mind as much when it comes to blush -- it takes me so long to finish one that if I have a backup, it will last years -- but things like lipstick that I use more heavily take much less time to disappear. (I do have 3 Turbulents (2 EU, 1 US) and 2 Poésies, and I rarely use them for fear of running out, which is silly.)

I really wanted to try Tom Ford's new illuminator, Fire Lust, but I think it's a limited edition and I don't want to fall in love with it. :smileytongue:

starletta8

MAC is getting up there- with as many microscopic mini collections that they run that are always sold out immediately.

quenbee

(0) Hearts

I completely agree!  The collection is either sold out immediately or the items that they show are "re-promotes".  It gets old after a while!  I took a break from them for about a year!

starletta8

They aren't products I even reach for- and the constant revolving door of limited products just turned me off.

viviene23

I know what you mean...I have the chanel rose platine eyeliner and I'm soo sad I didn't buy a backup. I'm also hoping mac would bring back everhip lipstick! I just hope I can get the scarlet ibis from macy's this wednesday and mac riri woo in june :-)

starletta8

(0) Hearts

Whereas I missed Rose Platine and have been searching in vain... and nabbed MAC RiRi Woo by complete dumb luck.

katie1724

(0) Hearts

I missed Rose Platine -- I always wanted to try it!

starletta8

I have an entire plastic drawer from Container Store (the ones you can get in multiple colors) full of backups.  I do use them- how many people still have unopened MAC Wolf eyeliners? I do!  That's one product I hoarded so I could keep using it since I can't find anything like it.

The problem is that these products I'm loving are increasingly expensive. It just doesn't make sense to have hundreds of dollars waiting.

bittersweet86

Just looked up that Mac Wolf eyeliner....you are a lucky girl that is a pretty color. 

starletta8

I'd pay ridiculous amounts of money to for them to bring it back.

poemelyric

(0) Hearts

I'd have to agree about Kat Von D...  I love her perfumes and Palettes but she's famous for discontinuing things.  If I really like them, I just get more on Ebay.  I also have that problem with UD palettes too.  I struggled finding the Black Palette online.  For lipstick and stuff, I'm stuck because I don't like using aged products. 

bittersweet86

I agree with you too. The main thing I hate about limited edition or time collections is when there is a product that is unique in color or type that I don't think I will ever find again I always want to buy it. For example OCC came out with a liptar that is called Batty (love the name) and it's a black with shimmer. I want it but think when the heck am I going to use this. 

The whole don't want to use it because I love it type thing never happens to me because I guess I know I'll have it for a while and love the item too much not to use it haha. Though I will be sad when some of my LE mac shadows go bye bye :smileysad:

berniebeauty

I think I used to be afraid to use my limited edition items, but then I just remembered that theres no point in saving them for two reason-- 1, if I don't use them they will go bad, and 2, if i'm so scared to use them, then I'm not using them! I don't want to find something I love and then not show off how good it is on my face.  I think its upsetting to lose a HG item to it's collection end, but it still is a HG item so might as while love it while you can, right? 

~We are all beautiful~

annyong

(0) Hearts

I am concerned that the Ole Henricksen Pure Truth Vitamin C Duo will disappear because of its "limited edition" status. For $45 you get one ounce of oil, and a half ounce of Truth Serum. The non-limited edition product is $45 for one ounce of oil. So you get a bonus small bottle of Truth Serum in the limited edition offer. I certainly prefer that one! I hope it sticks around until the coupon comes out in November, assuming there will be another holiday shopping coupon this year. If so, I'll buy this for myself, my mom, and my sister. If the combo set isn't around then, I may not buy it at all.

AmyC

[ Edited ]

No you are certainly not!!! I'm a HUGE Kat Von D fan and paid high prices on Ebay to get her Limited Edition items that are no longer available!!!

$300 for NIB Angeleno Train Case

$96 for NIB Gypsy Palette(afraid to use it want to get a backup so I'll feel better about using)

$60 for nib Mi Vida Loca palette(same as above)

Truth and Angeles as well.

Metal Orchestra and True Love(have back ups of both so use them all the time)

Yes. I agree with you! TERRIFIED to run out of a limited edition item I just love, so I won't use it! I feel as though LE items are a beauty curse!

I happen to think she has beautiful items and they are VERY high quality and I feel they are worth every penny. I just love her!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 18 replies
  • 23 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
    • AmyC
    • katie1724
    • poemelyric
    • annyong
    • berniebeauty
    • janinebt