MintShake

Racism in Fashion?

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Ok, this doesn't apply to Sephora because they do a good job of showcasing beauty of different races and ethnicities, but my beef lies with the fashion designers, in particular: Dolce and Gabanna, Prada, Dior, etc. It angers me that since they are popular high-end designers, people still support them....ok now I'm starting to babble, I'll get to the point...

My point is that they see white people as high end, elite, and everyone wants to look like them. I have never seen Prada use a black model ever. 

Now there's another question: what about Asian, Hispanic, Indian...?

Yes, they are the minority, however, they get better job openings because of their skin color, which is sad. In 2013, you'd think that there's change, but there's non, nada. Yes, blacks (dark-skinned people) can get sucessful, but that's about it. 

Why post this on Sephora? 

Sephora does a fantastic job of seeing people as beautiful, everybody is beautiful in their own way. Several companies Sephora carries such as Bobbi Brown, Nars, Lancome, etc, they do a wonderful job and they're sucessful. 

I think the biggest problem is that since Dior Prada Coco Chanel, etc are popular brands at the moment, they have extrodinary influence on the way people outlook beauty and since 93 percent of the models they used are white, it's enough to assume that they think whites are super while there are other diversities.

--------------

What is your opinion on Racism in fashion? 

swfupload_5172642800730292405.jpg

MintShake

Re: Racism in Fashion?

(0) Hearts

That's true. because they never really see black women as a sign of beauty. Yes there's Naomi Cambell, Tyra Banks etc, but they're tokens- the only two names we know of while there's hundreds of white models which is a shame. 

lylysa

Iman, Oluchi Onweagba, Grace Jones, Kimora Lee, Alek Wek, Beverly Johnson, Chanel Iman, Selita Ebanks, and Toccara Jones are all top named African America models aside from Naomi and Tyra.

To be honest, it's really about how involved you want to get in terms of knowing names and putting them to faces for calling out models and familiarizing yourself in the scene. I'm not saying racism doesn't exist, but also self-educating does a long way in terms of at least expanding one's own horizons in learning there's more than just Tyra and Naomi in the modeling world.

onomotopoeia9

(0) Hearts

But then again, all those hundreds of white models are pretty much nameless. (There is no white Tyra Banks.)  In other words, no one know who they are and they are treated like objects - not people.

Naomi and Tyra and even Nikki Minaj are universal role models to any ethnicity.

emmaclaire

(0) Hearts

There is no white Tyra Banks?  I'm confused, who is Coco Rocha, Cindy Crawford, Alessandra Ambrosia, Adrianna Lima, Heidi Klum, Janice Dickinson, Christie Brinkley, Rachel Hunter, Kate Moss, Karlie Kloss, and Shalom Harlow?  Just to name a few.

MintShake

Yes but it seem like they're the ONLY ones. I mean I'm aware there a few more, but the default setting is usually white so.. 

onomotopoeia9

(0) Hearts

right...quantity or quality!

sephoramusthave

swfupload_181833828894903318.jpgUnfortunately, I see racism everywhere I go not just the fashion industry :smileysad:

I think that Lancôme does an excellent job with their ads, and Estee Lauder---they usually feature 3 different woman in their magazine ads.

sephoramusthave

(0) Hearts

swfupload_7334937151548957558.jpg

MintShake

(0) Hearts

I really think the black lady in that pic is gorgeous, so is the Asian lady, but it's almost as if they have to work twice as hard to get to where someone who is Caucasian would be in the makeup world, which is sad. I guess not all models are created equal. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 50 replies
  • 70 hearts
  • 16 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • dannyc
    • islandqt
    • sephoramusthave
    • emmaclaire
    • arielaaaaaaaa