ilovetopurplefy

Prom Dress didn't fit :(

[ Edited ]

I got my prom dress in the mail today and I was so excited to try it on. It came from China and we ordered it last Tuesday which was really fast. So I did and it didn't fit. Oh my god. I ordered it in a US size 6 which is what I normally wear in dresses due to my bust being a size 6 and my waist and hips a size 4. It had the measurements also on the websites. It probably is a Chinese size 6. On the order form and tag it says US size 6 and I had my mom measure my bust and it was a little bit less than the bust measurement for the size 6 that was on the website. When I tried the dress on I tried it with a bandeau top and a strapless bra and sucked my gut in. But it still did not fit. :smileysad: 

serioustree

Re: Prom Dress didn't fit :(

Awww good luck on everything! I usually wear size 4-6 and didn't fit in anything I liked when I taught in Japan. Lol. (But I'm Asian and short so everything was the perfect length! Blah!) 

mafan

(0) Hearts

I'm sorry that the one you found wouldn't be ready in time. I've got my fingers crossed that the replacement is done and arrives on schedule. (I have found that post in that direction is very prompt, which is great.) Good luck with it all!

mafan

(0) Hearts

So, did you find a dress at the shop yesterday? Did I miss an update? I hope it's going to work out!

ilovetopurplefy

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I found a really nice dress at the shop, its pretty much exactly the same as this dress except brighter, more intense, and more of an orange red than a blue red. and the part where it connects the one shoulder to the bust of the dress is a  bit lower and the armpit portion isn't tight as the first one but fitted nicely and gives me more arm movement space. It's also wayyyyyyy more than I paid for the dress I ordered online. It was $400 without the discount and tax and with the discount and tax added it came to about $230 and my price point including tax was $150 :smileysad: Also the dress wouldn't have been ready in time for prom too. I was quite upset about that.  So I emailed the company that I got my original dress from my measurements. They said they can make the new dress in a week. I shipped the original dress today after school ended in exchange for the new one that will be made specifically for me that will arrive the week before prom.

1Emily

Oh my god, the same thing happened to me with my junior prom. I ordered a $400, beautiful dress from this website called outerinner.com. When it came in the mail, like three days before the prom, it was the wrong size, the wrong COLOR (oh my god, it was hideous), and it was way too long. I ended up ordering from rissyroos.com with expedited shipping. It was about the same price as the other, but it was beautiful, and I was so happy with it. My hair was another story... :'(463413_3523953909047_60888383_o.jpg

ilovetopurplefy

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Your dress is so lovely!!! Its so elegant and princess-y on you!!!! I can't do ball gowns. I feel that they're too big and such a pain/hassle when its time to go to the ladies room. This is coming from a person who wears skinny jeans in all types of weather even in extreme heat so I always go for sleeker dresses.

1Emily

Aw, thank you! You should post a picture of your dress once you're all squared away!

melissabt

Ilovetopurplefy,

Don't feed bad, I am usually a size small or xsmall and my friend brought me back some pants from china and they were a size XL and they fit me perfectly!

Try looking in stores so you can try all the dresses on! Make a day of it:smileyhappy: When I had my prom that's what I did with my friends so that I could get a 2nd option on the dress.

<3 Melissa
beautylovingirl

@ilovetopurplefy- YAY! I'm so happy for you see all the positive vibes you got pulled you through. I can't wait to see your new dress!:smileyhappy:

mafan

I'm sorry they screwed this up on you, but I'm glad things are looking up. Good luck at the dress shop. My advice is try on everything you vaguely like until you find something. Some things just look totally different on the hanger vs on you. I was looking fora formal dress once and in desperation tried on something I thought was far too fussy. It fit me like a glove and looked stunning. (That is how I found out a sweetheart neckline and dropped waist look great on me and my wedding dress had the same style.) Don't give up until you exhaust all possibilities, and I hope you find something great much sooner than that!

ilovetopurplefy

[ Edited ]

I emailed the company who I bought the dress from and I attached pictures of the measurements I took and they said they mixed up the size and thought we ordered a size 2 instead of a size 6. They are giving me a full refund and they'll reimburse us for the shipping charges to ship it back. My dad talked to a friend of his this morning who is the manager of the store where he gets his suits from and his friend's wife is the manager of a bridal salon that makes all kinds of formal dresses ranging from wedding to quinceanera gowns which is right across the street from the suit shop. *insert derp face and face palm*  She called and told me to come in and try some other dresses. So we made an appointment for Tuesday after school. She is giving me a 50% discount on the dress I choose at her store. She said also if my dad had spoken to her husband earlier, she would have made me a custom dress. Things are looking up! :smileyhappy: Thanks ladies for giving me advice! I feel a lot better and a lot less stressed about it!

roxystar4

yes! Please post pics of your new dress. I am so happy for you!

janinebt

Glad to hear this ILoveToPurplefy!I can certainly empathize with you. I've purchased some items from overseas and it's almost always been a miss. Yes, it's cheaper but the time it takes for delivery and the cost of alternations is almost never worth the garment's price. I purchased a 'custom' gown many years ago for $50. $150 later my seamstress was able to 'fix' the rushed job.

Please be sure to keep us posted on your new dress! I'm excited to see it.

I

Whimsically yours,
Janine
mafan

First, take a deep breath. And another one. I am 30+ years out from my senior prom (anyone remember Gunny Sack dresses?) and I know the world won't end. 

Second, go watch "Meet Me In St Louis". Heck, Judy Garland is great, there are some great songs, and there is a point to this. It will at least distract you. 

Now, go check out some consignment stores. Seriously. My niece went to her prom at least 2 weeks ago. Does everyone in your whole area have the prom so late? If not, you will find shops that just sell Prom dresses. The prices will be great, the dress might not even have been worn, and the best part is you can try it on. Is it your "dream dress"? Maybe not, but it might still be wonderful. And being at the prom is something you should not miss if you want to go. 

Get something that looks fine, save perfect for another occasion (I promise there will be others and have the dresses to prove it), and an attitude that all of these women know I am fabulous helps a lot. 

Sorry, I don't still have that Gunny Sack dress to lend you. LOL! 

ilovetopurplefy

[ Edited ]

Proms here in NY vary depending on where you live and go to school. It usually is in the same time frame as graduation which is usually 1-2 weeks. Private schools usually finish earlier than public schools so their proms and graduations are late April to mid may. Some of the public schools in my area have already had their proms and they graduate the week before or the same weekend I do. My school likes to have prom 3 days before graduation so we can get all the tears and goodbyes out. Prom is on June 20 and graduation is June 23.   I LOVE this dress. But it isn't my dream dress though. I'm saving that for when I get married which isn't for a longggggg time.

mityren

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

The website has some very specifics for returns/exchanges for size. They say to lay the dress out with a tape measure to prove its not the size etc. Anyway, read it really carefully. Good news is if it can be altered they will pay up to $60 for it. I would give the policy a good once over before doing anything else.

And relax! It will work out, you'll go to.prom and remember it forever. I didn't go to either of my proms because I had a baby the beginning of junior year and was married and I regret it now:/

ilovetopurplefy

(0) Hearts

I didn't go to my junior prom actually. My mom wanted me to wear all these dresses that were made for older women and she wanted me to take my older brother as my date because he missed out on both of his proms to due him forgetting to buy a ticket each time. We clashed so much over it that I decided to have a spa night with my sister instead and she got upset that I did that.

Thanks so much for the advice! 

beautylovingirl

@ilovetopurplefy- Just stay positive and remember it's not hopeless even though I'm sure you feel like it is. I'm sending happy vibes and big ole HUUUUUUG. Hope everything turns out good  for you! :smileywink:

ilovetopurplefy

Thanks so much! I'll try to be optimistic and not let the situation get to me :smileyhappy:

garnett

Hey, we will have none of this young lady!  You will  either have that dress adjusted or you will get another one/borrow one.  You have to go to your prom because you had your heart set on going.  I know it's disappointing when the perfect dress doesn't work out as planned but don't let that stand in your way of having a great time We will all send good thoughts and you will find the right dress!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 35 replies
  • 36 hearts
  • 13 in conversation
    • dianabt
    • melissabt
    • janinebt
    • lylysa
    • ilovetopurplefy
    • mafan