ilovetopurplefy

Prom Dress didn't fit :(

[ Edited ]

I got my prom dress in the mail today and I was so excited to try it on. It came from China and we ordered it last Tuesday which was really fast. So I did and it didn't fit. Oh my god. I ordered it in a US size 6 which is what I normally wear in dresses due to my bust being a size 6 and my waist and hips a size 4. It had the measurements also on the websites. It probably is a Chinese size 6. On the order form and tag it says US size 6 and I had my mom measure my bust and it was a little bit less than the bust measurement for the size 6 that was on the website. When I tried the dress on I tried it with a bandeau top and a strapless bra and sucked my gut in. But it still did not fit. :smileysad: 

ilovetopurplefy

Re: Prom Dress didn't fit :(

(0) Hearts

I just don't want to waste any more of my parent's money. I hate spending people's money that I know I won't be able to pay back. It frustrates me and I'm on the brink of having an nervous breakdown because of the stress this added to what I am currently going through.

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

Is there a way of letting it out at all?

ilovetopurplefy

I have to take it to an expert tailor to see if we can let it out since the bust is very structured. I can feel quite a bit of loose fabric between each major seam. If she can't alter it we have to order another one probably either size 10 or 12 and take it in which is another $130 which includes tax and shipping. 

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

@ilovetopurplefy- I'm not familiar with Chinese sizes is it too big or too little?

ilovetopurplefy

(0) Hearts

its too small.

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

@ilovetopurplefy- Whoa Whoa what is going on with your dress??

ilovetopurplefy

It didn't fit :smileysad: I think the size is a Chinese size 6 instead of a US size 6 which I ordered because that's my dress size. I measured everything before I ordered it with my mom. Prom is 4 weeks away and I don't know if I'll find another. 

dianabt

:smileysad: I've bought clothes in Chinatown before and the sizing was WAY off for me each time. It's so hard finding things online sometimes! And the few times I've bought dresses online for special occassions they didn't work out. Do you have time to find a new one?

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
ilovetopurplefy

Prom is 4 weeks away from yesterday, and I don't know if I'll have time to find another. The Senior Trip and National Honor Society picnic are next week thursday and friday which I won't get back until 9:00 pm on both days. Plus I have numerous tests tuesday and wednesday, A gigantic portfolio for AP Literature  due Wednesday, and exams start a week from thursday and I have 7 to study for due to new stupid state regulations that all classes must have a final exam. All my classes are electives except Precalculus Regents ( I live in NY  hence the regents) :smileymad: . So I'm freaking out. Plus, I also have to buy the rest of my prom stuff and graduation outfit, and, I have so much to do and I feel like my brain is going to explode. :smileysad:  On top of that I also play little league softball for my town and I have 2-3 games every week. So I don't know if I'll have time to find another dress. If I don't, I'll probably have to stay home for prom and end up going to post-prom.

starletta8

Do NOT stay home.

I have faith in you- it will work out! You have time.

ilovetopurplefy

(0) Hearts

I hope it does because I'm losing hope.

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

Don't stay home! I ended up borrowing a friends dress for my senior prom & had a blast! Maybe you can borrow a friends?

ilovetopurplefy

(0) Hearts

I can't borrow a friend's dress because my friends have different body shapes and heights than I do.  They are either really slim (sizes 0 and 2) and 4'11 -5'2 or super curvy or athletic (sizes 8-12) and 5'6-5'9 and I'm in the middle. I'm 5'4 and I wear a size 6 because of my bust. I would borrow any of my cousins' dresses but I don't want my prom to be a horrible experience like 8th grade class night was 4 years ago when I was forced to by my mom to borrow a dress 2 days before  from my second eldest cousin because she liked it.  It was wayyyyyyyyyyy too large for my body. The bust was sagging really bad to the point there was a a very likely possibility of having a **bleep** slip. so I had  to tie a shawl around it to prevent that from happening.  My mom hated all the dresses I liked that I wanted to get. I don't want to have that experience again, honestly. It was horrible.

lylysa

Ordering clothes online can be a risky gamble, especially when coming from out of the country. Does the seller have a return policy available or is there any direct form of communication where you can ask for specific measurements on a particular garment rather than go off one size chart for various styles/dresses?

What kind of fabric is used or what does the top look like? Maybe you can find a tailor who can sew in some extra paneling or even let the seams out some, maybe even custom redesign the top to allow for a proper fit.

I hope you find a solution!! 

ilovetopurplefy

It doesn't say if the site has a return policy and for the specific measurements it says that those are the measurements for that dress and each dress has different measurements due to its specific style. 

The fabric is chiffon but satin is sewn to the inside of the top to give more support. My mom is taking me to her tailor to see if she is able to do anything. if she can't,  I will email the seller to see if I can send it back and get a size 8 or 10 instead.

This is what the dress looks like:

prom.jpg

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 35 replies
  • 36 hearts
  • 13 in conversation
    • dianabt
    • melissabt
    • janinebt
    • lylysa