IttyxBittyxMe

Products everyone else loves that you're just kinda 'eeehhhh...' on.

[ Edited ]

This is not a place to bash any one product, but to get a different view of things. We see all the time what people like, but what about what they don't like? So my question is simple:

What's that product, or products, that everyone seems to adore and hype about that you aren't that fond of or just don't like? 

♥ For me it's the Urban Decay NAKED palettes, though the NAKED 3 is growing on me the more I see it swatched, they just don't appeal to me. I bought NAKED 1, used it for a bit, and then never touched it again after I bought the Lorac Pro Palette. It just seemed so much better. 8 mattes, 8 shimmers, and a black and dark brown that meant business. What more could I ask for? So my NAKED palette is getting exchanged for something else.

♥ My other 'ehhh' product has to be MAC Carbon. It's suppoed to be a great black shadow but mine is chalky and really doesn't do anything for me. 

♥ Benefit They're Real Mascara. Nope.

marydiva

Re: Products everyone else loves that you're just kinda 'eeehhhh...' on.

(0) Hearts

Touche Eclat was awful! It was too thick to be a highlighter and didn't highlight anything. But it didn't really conceal anything. Ick. 

nikki

(0) Hearts

I don't like YSL Touche Eclat either. It didn't seem to do anything for me as far as brightening or traditional highlighting. The only thing I liked it for was to outline my lips, because I did think it made them look a bit plumper because of the highlighting. But it's too expensive to use just for that.

misscg

(0) Hearts

I agree with the naked palettes. I have the naked 1 and tried to love it but it never grew on me so its just something in my collection. I just exchanged the naked 3 for the chocolate bar palette, much better imo. Plus I have the lorac unzipped that I love love love. 

katief241981

Oh, and Brat is literally going to die when she reads this... but the Lemon Drop brush.  I hated it!! I returned it.  It didn't detangle for me at all. 

MikuNerd65

I don't really get what's so special about the Naked palettes...I saw all three on display at Sephora and it looks like all natural colors....I want fun colors in my palettes. 

jojobe

That is the point of a naked palette! If you want color from UD you have book of shadows, anniversary collection, Vice 1 and 2 , smoked, and Build your own. I was lucky and purchased my UD Naked original when it had the pencils and I used it a lot I still have it too. I never did get into 2 or 3 though.

MikuNerd65

(0) Hearts

I'll have to keep and eye on it then...Smokey eye is still something I don't know how to do correctly >.>

WhereYouStand

almost everything clinique besides the black honey almost lipstick is pretty much a great disappointment to me. 

annekevdb

That yellow moisturizer they sell is a complete mystery to me - why is it supposedly so popular? I never felt that it did *anything.* 

HelloCoffee

Yea, Dramatically Different Moisturizer.  It just kinda sits on the skin.  I like several Clinique products, but this does nothing for me.  I like their toner, but to follow up with this isn't going to help….I don't feel it puts moisture back into the skin.

HelloCoffee

(0) Hearts

Yes, for me, it's also the Naked palettes….but I guess I've never really been one for neutral shades, at least not a whole palette.  I like a few nudes/neutrals but I need my pops of color.

snowshoe

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

The Naked palettes.  Too much glitter and sparkle in the first two to be "naked" looking, while Naked 3 is lovely but blah.  That one was returned, and I'll be trying something else.

GlamGlow masks...nothing special about them; in fact, they were irritating to my skin.  Guess I'm not the right type for it.  But in all honesty, I can get the same effect (without irritation) from a Freeman mask and a tea bag, and spend far less cash in the process.

MAC eyeshadows are so hyped up that I finally broke down and bought a palette from their summer collection.  The colors were great, but color payout and wear was very shoddy...I had better performance from drugstore brands.  I loved the colors enough to keep it to try to make it work, but I doubt I'd be trying MAC shadows again for a long time.

Benefit's They're Real Mascara.  Definitely not a false lash look--at least not on me--and it smudged within hours.   

nikki

I think generally MAC palettes aren't as good as their singles. I only have one MAC palette and while I like it and think it was worth the price, the singles are definitely way way better quality. I've heard this around a lot, so i think it's fairly common, even though disappointing. Same for their brush sets.

I'm happy with my MAC purchases, but I totally think palettes and gift sets should be up to par with regular production, and MAC has dropped the ball on that. :/

HelloCoffee

I agree completely.  Especially on the holiday stuff.  MAC knows they are going to sell like crazy no matter what, so they get lazy.  The 2013 holiday collection was a huge disappointment. 

jojobe

(0) Hearts

I was eyeballing that one but since they are still in stock almost everywhere that speaks for itself. 

sundaespal

(0) Hearts

Clarisonic- I look forward to the day 20/20 or some program tests the bacteria on those brushes after a month, heck after a week, much less the recommended 3 month lifespan, my guess is that it's absolutely insane. Mine never got dry, it was always damp. I just think they are so gross. I like the concept, but would only use a system like that with a daily disposble brush.

Nars Orgasm- I hate edgy makeup naming to begin with, but I think this color is pushed as a universal for everyone shade when it's not. It looked neon pink on me. I am forever greatful to the Sephora employee who pointed me in the direction of Deep Throat instead.

Tart- I want to like this brand so much, but I've hated everything I've tried. Lights, Cameras, Lashes was great for the first month and then dried out in the tube and irritated my eyes. And I hated the quilt it was wrapped in. I usually have no problem getting BB creams to match my skin because I have neutral coloring, but Tart BB cream was an exception. I looked like an oompa loompa. I bought a mascara primer with great reviews and threw it out after a week because it did nothing but make my lashes white, stiff, and stuck together. I think this brand is very overpriced and of average at best quality.

marydiva

Primers - icky, greasy, don't do anything. If anything they make my makeup slide OFF, not stay on. 

Benefit - For some reason, I can't help but feel that this entire line is gimmicky. All the packaging is so cheap looking, and everything I've tried has been nasty, waxy, greasy, or worn off quickly. Benetint, I feel like, it just a food dye. 

Too-Faced - I can't get past the combination of grownup and provocative names mixed with icky little girl packaging. Gross. 

Dolan

Make sure the base of the primer matches the base of the makeup. If you use a silicone-based primer with a water-based makeup (vice versa), the primer actually makes the makeup slide off instead of keeping it on.  (:

katiedivadoll

Thank you for this tip Dolan! I was kind of wondering why my silicon based primer was making my foundation slide around my face and gave it no staying power :smileyhappy:

quotidianus

bareminerals.  it looks terrible on me: streaks, cakes, settles ... i loathe it, and can't wrap my head around why people love it.  i've had two professionals apply it on me, and it looked horrid both times. 0/10, would not baremineral again!

also, maybelline great lash.  don't get that one, either.

annekevdb

(0) Hearts

Aren't bareminerals awful. I can't figure out how it doesn't look cakey and terrible on everyone - because it certainly does on me. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 173 replies
  • 138 hearts
  • 89 in conversation
    • nikki
    • lb1414
    • shyvicki
    • hydee77
    • chupi
    • emmaclaire