IttyxBittyxMe

Products everyone else loves that you're just kinda 'eeehhhh...' on.

[ Edited ]

This is not a place to bash any one product, but to get a different view of things. We see all the time what people like, but what about what they don't like? So my question is simple:

What's that product, or products, that everyone seems to adore and hype about that you aren't that fond of or just don't like? 

♥ For me it's the Urban Decay NAKED palettes, though the NAKED 3 is growing on me the more I see it swatched, they just don't appeal to me. I bought NAKED 1, used it for a bit, and then never touched it again after I bought the Lorac Pro Palette. It just seemed so much better. 8 mattes, 8 shimmers, and a black and dark brown that meant business. What more could I ask for? So my NAKED palette is getting exchanged for something else.

♥ My other 'ehhh' product has to be MAC Carbon. It's suppoed to be a great black shadow but mine is chalky and really doesn't do anything for me. 

♥ Benefit They're Real Mascara. Nope.

HannahGrace

Re: Products everyone else loves that you're just kinda 'eeehhhh...' on.

(0) Hearts

It's the worst thinking something's gonna be great, but isn't. Haha. i have a couple.

First, Revlon Colorstay foundation. I have the one for dry skin, yet it always makes me skin look cakey and... dry. And I'm not super impressed with the color selection either. The coverage is nice though!

Also Clinique Black Honey Almost Lipstick. I got this as a sample expecting great things, and to my dismay it showed up very brown on me. Just didn't do it for me.

And I wouldn't really consider this one too hyped, but Tarte's Amazonian Clay Airbrush Foundation. I was looking for something like Bare Minerals, but... better? And while the color was perfect, it accentuated my pores so bad, and I had to use tons of product just to cover anything. I returned it. 

Loricaaa

Reader beware. This post is fueled with PMS cattiness.

- Benefit Porefessional Primer: I still have some of this left but I swear this makes my t-zone oilier. Breaks up my foundation.

- Benefit They're Real Mascara: I have long lashes and lots of them... but this it makes it look like I only have two on each eye. Horrendous.

- Macadamia Oil Treatment Masque: Very average. I don't understand the hype behind this at all. Plain old organic coconut is much better for my bleached hair than this mask.

- YSL Rouge Volupte: Feel free to attack me. Yes, pretty packaging. The formula doesn't last on me and it bleeds like crazy.

- MUFE HD Foundation: Great color selection. I find the formula soooooo meh. I swear it feels & wears like the any drugstore L'Oreal foundation.

- Chanel Skincare, actually most high-end skincare: I like to see some science behind my skincare. Sure, I've been suckered in by nice packaging and the oh so luxness or even "OHHH it's newwww" but some of these high-end formulations are disgraceful. I mean some products actually contain ingredients that are cell damaging. Also, no thanks to perfume on my face.

Nicrohr

Yes to several primers (w silicone) making me OILIER, I swear, you're not imagining it.  Gross. Agreed -- "breaks up foundation" is a great description.

Loricaaa

(0) Hearts

I know some people commented how it actually reduced oil. And I'm just thinking to myself? waah?

pixyfaygo

(0) Hearts

I hate to say it because I feel like I'm the only person on Earth that doesn't like it, but I wasn't thrilled with the Clarisonic.  I gave it 2 months, but I truly saw no change whatsoever.  I was so disappointed because I was expecting amazing results!

atr3810

(0) Hearts

I'm going to be a rebel (can't believe I'm doing this) and say that ALL makeup palettes leave me feeling "ehhh."  I've never been a fan.  For some reason, I love picking out my colors individually.  I tend to do a monochromatic eye shadow look for daytime anyway, in some sort of neutral color, so it's easier to just have one shadow to keep turning to.  So far, I like Nars, Stila, and the Sephora eye shadows, and the Laura Mercier Caviar Eye Sticks.  

ScratchToVoid

(0) Hearts

I have a lot of the same answers in regards to what's already been said but...

- Naked Palettes: Naked 3 is really the only one that's tempted me even though the hype around 1 has made me want to check it out but honestly I'm just not that interested. I already have neutral palettes and I've found my HG in that regard with the Lorac PRO palette.

- Revlon Colorstay Foundation: I've been through a lot of foundations and I still haven't found the perfect one but I was surprised just how much of a miss this one for me. It was recommended to me by several people but I just hated it. I felt it was cakey, settled into my fine lines, and didn't wear well throughout the day. I know everyone's skin is different but considering how popular this was I'm shocked I disliked it so.

Those are the ones that come to mind for me.

IllegallyBlonde

Bad Gal Lash (Benefit.) Did I get an old bottle? Mine was soo flakey and hard to apply. Made my lashes clumpy and wouldn't separate them like They're Real does. Actually I've been unimpressed with almost all of the Benefit products that people seem to go crazy over (Benetint? Eh. High Beam? Double Eh. I do like Watts up and Stay Don't Stray, though.)

Laura Mercier foundation ...WTH was that crap?? It was the only product I have EVER returned to Sephora. It literally sat in clumps on top of my skin after barely an hour, and cost me 50$.

Nars orgasm... Ho hum. It kind of breaks me out and makes my face itchy which is weird since I have barely had a pimple in my life. It looks orangey on me, and is way too shiney. I thought I was just not a fan of Nars until I tried gaiety. 

Mac eyeshadows. They're nice and I do like them, but they're not OMG super fantastic (that prize goes to UD and Dior.)

kittleherder

Philosophy Hope In A Jar...it just always felt like I was smearing grease on my skin, and it didn't really moisturize below the surface.  It took me about a month to go through the whole small jar, hoping it would adjust and I would see this miracle everyone was raving about, but NOPE.  Glad I only wasted $15.

Benefit mascara-another vote.  Flaky and clumpy.

linda711

I couldn't agree more with the Hope in a Jar.  I actually really like many of their skin care products, but this one is a dud imo.

IllegallyBlonde

(0) Hearts

Darn, I have quite a love affair with Philosophy. Disappointed to see this about Hope in a Jar because I haven't tried it yet. 

Oh that reminds me though.... FIRST AID BEAUTY Ultra Repair Cream. Everybody made it seem like this stuff came straight from Fountain of Youth or something. NOPE NOPE NOPE. Did not even penetrate one layer of my skin, left me seriously dry and flakey, even more than I am without ANY lotion.. How is that even physically possible?

atr3810

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Illegally Blonde - I would give it a shot if you like other Philosophy products.  Maybe get a sample made in store or something.  I used it every evening as a night cream until I discovered the Korres Wild Rose + Vitamin C Sleeping Facial, and even now I still alternate the two.  The lady who did my wedding makeup a couple of years ago recommended it during my trial run, and daily use made a difference in my skin before the big day.  I do use it at night though, so maybe others have had trouble layering makeup on top of it.  I have oily skin too, so anything that brings out the greasies is a no-no to me!

deannarp

Nars Laguna and orgasm

HelloCoffee

Butter London nail polish.  I have never had any luck with them.  The regular ones chipped like crazy and the glitters were so goopy.  

annekevdb

This thread is the best "don't buy it" or "no buy" thread ever! 

Not the original intent of the thread, but it is great reading and I am rapidly crossing things off my wish list. 

shyvicki

(0) Hearts

Tarte Lights Camera Lashes mascara. I felt like it didn't do much for my lashes. I ask a lot from mascara since I want my lashes to be long enough to touch the bottom of my eyebrows. So far I've found that Benefit They're Real and Clinique High Impact gets me the look I want.

Smashbox Photo Op eye shadow trios are rated high. However, I can't seem to keep the shadow on my lids even with shadow primer. I hate that because I love the color combinations.

IttyxBittyxMe

(0) Hearts

Tarte is my HG mascara, They're Real actually didn't do anything for me! But different things for different people.

katiedivadoll

(0) Hearts

You are so right about the Tarte mascara, I found it to be a mediocre product, especially for Tarte, whom I expected more from. I bought it once, but never again!

solveig

[ Edited ]

Naked palettes (aside from Basics). First one was too orange-warm and glittery, second (and frankly, the third one as well) didn't have enough contrast between the shades, so they would blend together into a bit of a blurry mix of colors.

UD's Naked foundation. Aside from not being able to find a match (which is not their fault), the scent is horrible and it doesn't last at all! Plus, it's a bit too dewy to be called Naked Skin.

Guerlain Meteorites - waste of money. Nothing's wrong with the product, except that it doesn't do much. I bought one maybe 6  years ago and honestly, I've used it no more than 10 times in all those years. Not enough to justify the price tag.

Clinique 3-Step system for combo/oily skin - this stuff is poison for oily skin! it completely strips the skin off.

Stila eyeshadows and lip gloss. Terrible pigmentation, no staying power whatsoever. Then again, I haven't seen a whole lot of people loving those products.

Hourglass Mineral Veil primer - as much as I love their Immaculate foundation, it lasts longer without that primer.

YSL Touche Eclat - not a concealer (doesn't conceal anything), not quite a highlighter/brightener (although maybe it's hard for me to brighten my already super white skin). So, what is it for, again?

MAC lip glosses - heavy, sticky, terribly scented. The shade range is amazing though.

katiedivadoll

(0) Hearts

Touche Eclat worked horribly for me as well! I tried to use it to highlight, but it made my skin a nasty yellow  color, and was useless as a concealer. I can't believe anyone would spend so much on a product that I can't even find a use for.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 173 replies
  • 138 hearts
  • 89 in conversation
    • nikki
    • lb1414
    • shyvicki
    • hydee77
    • chupi
    • emmaclaire