SydBristow

Products and/or Techniques that Changed Your Makeup/Skincare/Haircare

I have a few things that have truly altered how I am able to apply makeup and wonder what other people's "ah ha" techniques or products might be.

For me, I watched a Youtube video (can't remember who it was) that was applying a creaseline shadow with her eye open - as I have hooded eyes this is probably obvious but I didn't know.  It has really opened up how my makeup is applied and looks.

Also, I got some really soft brushes and blend like a crazy person now, that has really made my look much more artful and made makeup draw attention to my features, as opposed to my makeup.  :smileyvery-happy:

Finally, a while ago I got the Urban Decay triple threat travel liner set.  I loved the liners so much I now own every color I want.  These liners have a huge variation of colors, matte or sparkle, and there are just so many things I can do with them. 

Also, interacting with all of the great people on BT has made me feel like my makeup obsession is ok and I have learned a lot about products, techniques, resources, and sales!!  :smileyvery-happy:

How about you?

Nicrohr

Re: Products and/or Techniques that Changed Your Makeup/Skincare/Haircare

Oh and another one for me -- going No Poo!  Sooooo much better all around.  My scalp issues (itching, flaking, seborrheic dermatitis - breakouts/scalp pimples) are GONE for the past three+ years!

Things improved when I went no poo with Deva products, but I didn't get full relief from scalp and hair issues until I went no poo completely --

I now "wash" my roots with 1 tblsp baking soda in 1-2 cups water (I squirt it on my roots with a clean haircolor bottle).  Then I rinse it out and do a final rinse with 1 tblsp Apple Cider Vinegar in 1-2 cups cool water.

This is all I do, I never shampoo, I do this 2 or 3 times a week.  Use cornstarch on my roots in between if things get just a little oily.

This means no silicone coating my hair (or scalp) yay, BUT it's not super moisturizing (though ACV has a conditioning, super smoothing effect).  

So I condition with jojoba oil on tips/ends (leave in, lightly applied), and once a month I do raw egg hair mask OR a coconut milk/cream hair mask.

This has made such a difference in my life honestly -- before I had such scalp issues :smileysad:.  There was maybe 2 week sof adjusting when I switched from shampoo, but I've never looked back (and once or twice when I was away from home and tried reg shampoo or conditioner -- my scalp issues came right back it was horrible!).

sephoramusthave

Years ago, when I just started watching youtube makeup tutorials, Tanya burr and the pixiwoo sisters turned me into a pro! Ever since I got into doing my makeup properly and using the right makeup and tools, I've been getting compliments left and right! Just a few days ago I was at ULTA and a makeup artist for calvin klein gave me lots of compliments on my look :smileyvery-happy:

It took me a long time, lots of trial and error to find the best tools and products. But its fun!

daisydaisies

[ Edited ]

I've had fairly short hair for a long time, and now I'm growing it out. I bought some Drybar clips and watched one of their videos on how to do a good blowout, and it was incredibly helpful! I love the way my hair looks when I take the time with it in the mornings (but I don't do a blowout every morning because I like to give my hair a break sometimes).

AIixandra

Using Laura Mercier face primer, or any face primer for that matter to put on my fake tan lotion! Oh my god, this has changed my life. I hated how the lotion used to emphasize my pores on my legs esp and tried this one day on a whim and I have never looked back. 

CaitlinBrunson

Actually paying attention on the ingredients in my products. It is so much easier to decide on what products work for me and others when I know the science behind it. 

jettagrrl

Diamancel foot files - I was a dancer for 20 years which left my feet trashed.  This file is gentle, yet totally effective on dry, calloused feet.  My feet are amazingly pedicure soft now.

Nicrohr

(0) Hearts

I am thinking of returning my Clarisonic Pedi and getting one of these files!

ShinyMagpie

(0) Hearts

Nicrohr I have the one pictured below that you can pick up at Sally's or most drugstores quite cheaply. One side is rougher than the other. I keep it in the shower and I swear by that thing. I used to work outdoors and my feet would be a wreck. Between that file and some good foot cream they are quite a bit less hobbit-like. :smileywink:

foot-file.jpg

Nicrohr

(0) Hearts

Yay thanks -- I was particulaly thinking of trying DIamancel, because some of these files actually leave my feet ROUGHER - as in chewed up, etc?  It's weird.  I've seen these red ones though, perhaps I will try one of these!

sp2001

This thread finally pushed me to try my unopened beauty blender. Gotta say, I love it, I couldn't imagine what the big deal could be because I love the RT expert face brush, but I get it now.

My only issue is cleaning it. I know I don't like the solid cleanser after using it twice, it's awkward to use and I can't seem to get the sponge completely clean. Is there a trick I'm missing?

Nicrohr

I look at the ingredients in their cleanser and the first few were the same as a uber gentle, frag-free, 'natural' ish hand soap cleanser we have.  So I use that and it gets pretty much completely clean, I was surprised.  The soap I use is SEventh Generation, their fragrance free one, available at drugstore dot com -- and it's like $3-4 and lasts forever.  It's also safe on my super dry eczema hands in winter!

CaitlinBrunson

(0) Hearts

Might depend on what type of makeup you are using. My go to for hard to clean brushes and blenders (I have some white goat haired brushes that I love being white and not stained) is my own makeup remover, any kind should work. If it removes makeup on your face and eyes, it should your blender!  You can also use the olive oil and soap method (painters use this to remove acryllic paint) 

SydBristow

I have a dupe and clean it with baby shampoo. As long as there's shampoo in it, the foundation keeps coming out of it, until the water runs clear. I may add shampoo four times, rinsing as I go. No sure about the BB though.

mychoi

Man, I've had a BI account for about four years now, and I've only become obsessed with makeup this year.  For years I've had a humble makeup stash. One foundation, 2 eyeliners, and mascara.  Then all of a sudden, This year rolls around and I just had to have EVERYTHING. How did I get by without contouring or finishing powder OR PRIMER?????? I... I really don't know.  And now I'm about $250 away from rouge.  Still contemplating about that haha! It's still a new program so it might get better next year (and my excuses to spend more goes on ;]).  

I'm pretty conscious about what goes into my makeup.  I try to go for things free of paraben most importantly, but if I find a MUST-HAVE, then... :3 Read an article about parabens and thought better safe than sorry! ^^  They said the amount of parabens that go into makeup are safe doses, but I think my sensitive skin drives the need for more natural products anyways.  I'm such a big fan or tarte! I love everything I've tried from them :smileyvery-happy:

Primer! A lot of you guys said the same thing too.  I use the BM original primer for my face, too faced shadow insurance for lids, and tarte multiplye primer for my lashes.  Can't stress enough how much they have helped.

Oil control setting powder is probably my biggest love of all.  Tarte Smooth Operator Finishing powder is amazing!  Lasts long on the face and in the container even when you use it everyday.  I recommend it to anyone with oily skin and they get back to me telling me how much they love it.

Finally, like most everyone else, I don't have a bottomless bank account, but I've grown to realize that if you love something, invest in it.  I discovered BT recently and it's my new form of entertainment.  I found a community that has one universal interest in common: BEAUTY! Love you guys hope none of you ever leave.  I gobble up all of your advice and comments!

HMNewbie

Um...wow, just wow.  So how is it working out for you ladies who are trying this stuff?  I just brushed my teeth with baking soda/lemon juice and I didn't know they could look that good.  I know I can't do it very often because acid will eat away the enamel, but once a month or so shouldn't hurt and I'm sensitive to Crest White Strips.  Honestly, if I get the highest concentration, my teeth look blue and it looks like you can see through them.  Thank you, whoever wrote that one.

Everybody raves over the beauty blender, so I'll have to get one of those.

Trying the eye cream on my lips after sugar/argan oil exfoliation.  I'll let you know how that goes.

The only thing I can add to this thread is that I've learned I can't stay with one product.  Just like your hair will stop looking good after months of the same shampoo/conditioner, your skin can get used to the same products over and over, too.  I used to get really upset at not being able to find a product I can use for life, but such is my skin.  I will say that I've found my skin looks best using products with some kind of seaweed product/extract in them.  Take the time to read the label on what works for you.  Chances are, there's an ingredient that is perfect for your skin.  When you know what that is, you can stop trying stuff that just won't cut it.

Grace & Peace, y'all.

missjr

Walking into a Sephora store for the first time ever to go Christmas shopping in December 2011 changed my skincare and makeup routine.  Also, posting with the wonderful people here and reading reviews and tips from other people, including the experts, has been eye opening.

For instance, I'm a huge fan of primers now where I never considered using them before.  I love the Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer, as well as the Nars Eyeshadow Base and the UD Eyeshadow Primer Potion.  I never imagined that my makeup could last all day even in the most extreme temperatures.  Now I wonder how I ever got by without using primers.

I've discovered the fabulous Make Up Forever.  The HD Invisible Cover Foundation and the Face and Body Foundation have been godsends!  I'm also in love with the Pro Finish powder foundation which is fantastic.  This brings me to the artisan brush collection, which nearly caused me to lose my mind.  I already had the original kabuki brush which comes with a great carrying case.  Plus, I have great brushes from MAC, but I ordered the large foundation brush #108 and just ordered that great kabuki brush, which I understand can be used for powder and liquid makeup.  I can't wait to get it!  I love the line's other products, including the Aqua liners and shadows, which are terrific especially during the summer months.  I also invested in the HD blush, which I was nervous about using because of my oily skin.  However, it gives me a beautiful glow without looking greasy.

I also discovered the Nars blushes, which are beautifully pigmented.  I particularly love shades such as Orgasm, which is universal to all skin tones.

Other products include the Clarisonic Mia, which turned out to be an excellent investment.  My skin always looks great and it helps my serum and moisturizers work while I sleep.  I love the high-end serums, such as the Caudalie SOS serum.

Techniques that have changed the way I apply makeup, include applying my eyeshadow, liner and mascara first.  Then I apply my foundation.  I find that my foundation looks fresher and I don't have to worry about shadow falling onto my face after I applied the foundation.  Another technique that I learned is exfoliating my lips with a great sugar scrub the night before, followed by a balm.  My lips are supple, and there are no cracks or flakes.  Spraying the UD De-Slick Makeup Setting Spray on my face before and after makeup application is also a part of my routine now.  Not only does my makeup last, but it makes my skin look alive as matte makeup can sometimes look way too heavy.

katief241981

First of all, have to show some major love to the BT community. I have learned so many new things from here, read so many great tricks, and been encouraged to buy so many great products. You enablers, I mean, beauty masters, have definitely made me step up my game. So…thanks!!!

2. Contouring! I mean, what a difference this makes. Even just a tiny bit of contour below the cheek bones…wow. Seriously worth it! What was I thinking before??!!

3. As someone else said, eyeshadow primer. (specifically Lorac's Behind the Scenes) Makes such a difference with the longevity of my eyeshadow. How did I live without it? Now I won't even consider wearing eyeshadow without it.

4. Clarisonic. Serious game changer. My skin has never been so smooth.

5. Beauty Blender sponge. I use Hourglass Immaculate Foundation and because of the powder finish it is sometimes difficult to find the perfect brush to apply with. I have tried so many. Recently got the Beauty Blender. Wow! So much better.

adrutter

Putting on a chapstick, rubbing it in, then blotting it off gently before applying a lip stain so that it doesn't set in cracks and doesn't dry lips. 

wingatprsct

I forgot this one earlier.  I don't throw away my samples of face serums and creams if I don't like them.  I use them on my hands!  My hands are starting to show signs of aging as well with freckles and brown spots.  Ugh!  So even if it makes my face break out, it still works on my hands!

Nicrohr

(0) Hearts

Me too -- on my hands and chest!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 101 replies
  • 260 hearts
  • 47 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • adrutter