SydBristow

Products and/or Techniques that Changed Your Makeup/Skincare/Haircare

I have a few things that have truly altered how I am able to apply makeup and wonder what other people's "ah ha" techniques or products might be.

For me, I watched a Youtube video (can't remember who it was) that was applying a creaseline shadow with her eye open - as I have hooded eyes this is probably obvious but I didn't know.  It has really opened up how my makeup is applied and looks.

Also, I got some really soft brushes and blend like a crazy person now, that has really made my look much more artful and made makeup draw attention to my features, as opposed to my makeup.  :smileyvery-happy:

Finally, a while ago I got the Urban Decay triple threat travel liner set.  I loved the liners so much I now own every color I want.  These liners have a huge variation of colors, matte or sparkle, and there are just so many things I can do with them. 

Also, interacting with all of the great people on BT has made me feel like my makeup obsession is ok and I have learned a lot about products, techniques, resources, and sales!!  :smileyvery-happy:

How about you?

marydiva

Re: Products and/or Techniques that Changed Your Makeup/Skincare/Haircare

This is somewhat embarrassing - but the moment I realized that using a baby wipe to get the foundation out of my eyebrows after applying foundation - that was a gamechanger.

As a BM girl with super-dark eyebrows - it had never occured to me that I should get the powder off my brows when it was flying everywhere from the big fluffy brushes.

carolang

1. Real techniques expert face brush for BB cream application

2. Topping liner with a corresponding shade for longevity, same for using a cream shadow stick (caviar sticks) along lower lash line and inner corner and topping wth shadow

3. Lashes lashes lashes are important to emphasize when you have hooded eyes

4. Also same as someone said before - keep your eyes open if they are hooded and creat a crease above your natural one (I am still trying to perfect this... my eyes are hooded but I have a lot of real estate between them and my brows!)

5. Anastasia brow products - nuff said.

6. Skipping cleanser in the AM half the time - I just splash with water and then use toner. My skin is combo-very oily in T-zone, and the normal spots were always dry and tight - not flattering and I felt it was starting to age me. This has helped SO much.

7. Know your skin - I started getting a lot of breakouts only on my cheeks.. took me a while to realize I was allergic to NARS blushes. Still trying to figure out if it was the talc or the parabens that were bothering me... I still use/have a few MAC and Tarte blushes, and they contain talc, so I'm leaning towards parabens being the issue. I'm no longer using any products on my face with parabens, and now phasing it out of my shampoos and body products as well.

8. Brushes are everything! We all know this one, though!!

9. Finishing powders are amazing, everyone should have one. Meteorites teint beige for me!

10. Have fun with it. I like to wear fun colors... YOLO (please pretend I didn't say that... :smileywink: ).

syritt

Nicrohr just changed my entire outlook on eyeliner. And just enabled me to purchase another one in white-ish shimmer. Can't wait to try it and see how it goes for me.

My revelation was eyebrows. I got a MAC kit for eyebrows and used like they showed me and it changed my whole face.

glossyguru

I agree, eyebrows have really changed my makeup and have made me look so much more put together

Nicrohr

(0) Hearts

lol awesome. good luck, post or PM me pics! 

LuckyWinter

I found out just like that a long time ago, that using a flat top brush for foundation is plain amazing, one day out of nowhere I tried it (Because I was stick of the streak lines of a real foundation brush, and would always end up buffing with a powder brush afterward). THAT changed my foundation look

Second, when I started with eyeshadow, I had the naked 2 palette with the brush that came with it, and the lady working at sephora told me that I could do every things with that brush, I believed her. NOPE Later on i got real brushes ( Blending brush, pencil brush etc) And its now its going way better!

That's pretty much it for now hehe, at the moment I'm having difficulties with bronzer but I think I'm getting better at it!

clarks18

Youtube Beauty Gurus have helped me step my makeup game WAY up.  Like Kiki517 two of my favorites are Wayne Goss and Jaclyn Hill.  They show you the best techniques and they explain them in a way that you can really understand.  My eyeshadow is always so well blended thanks to these two lovely people!

Lash Primer.  I use the one by Tarte and oh my gosh what a difference.  It looks like I am wearing fake lashes.  I won't apply mascara without this.  It's incredible.  I like the Tarte one because unlike so other lash primer it doesn't contain and little fibers.  I HATE little fibers in my mascara or lash primer.  They always make my eyes feel dry and itchy.

BT!  This place has opened my eyes to so many new things.  I can't imagine life without BT ha!!!  

Never blend your eyeshadow with the brush you used to apply it.  Thank you Wayne Goss.  This was another game changing tip. 

calamityjane85

I share your love for the tarte mascara primer. It truly makes the biggest difference with any mascara I own. LOVE IT!!

calamityjane85

1. YouTube has changed so many thing for me , for the good.

2. Anastasia line. The pencils, the brow gel, the kit, the wax pencil. ... Oh my I love my brows now, once I got used to the stencils I didn't need them anymore aand my brows have never looked better. I seriously have a drawer just for eyebrows. They truly do frame the face

.3primer and setting spray. I never could figure out why my foundation wouldn't last. Now it stays put until I take it off at night. 

vanillammm

what primer and setting spray are you using?

calamityjane85

the hourglass veil primer and urban decay de-slick

vanillammm

[ Edited ]

Love this topic!

Off the top of my head the biggest "techniques" that made a difference in how I do things are:

1) Blow drying the front sections of my hair forward instead of to the sides. I don't have bangs, but I now blow-dry the front sections of my hair as if they were bangs (down over my face) and then they just fall into place with a natural movement and body that makes all the difference in how my hair looks.

2) The "windshield wiper" motion for blending eyeshadow at the crease. I used to blend using little circle motions only, now I do a combo of little circles and the windshield wiper swipes and my shadows blend out so much more flawlessly. Such a simple thing that I just never did naturally on my own, but once I heard someone else use that term, it just clicked.

(And use a clean brush to blend, not the one you applied the color with.)

3) Instead of bronzer I learned to use a regular face powder, just in a color that is  2-3 shades darker than my natural skin tone. I am very pale and bronzers have always been too dark or too orange, so finding shades that actually add natural looking shadows around my facial contours was so amazing.

SydBristow

vanillammm, I already do 2 and want to try 1 and 3! My skin is very fair and I have a hard time getting a bronzer that doesn't seem too dark. Love it!

ghkim

here are my aha products:

1. beautyblender - foundation has never looked so flawless

2. mac 217 - my ability to apply shadow was forever changed after i got one

3. UD naked eyeshadow - i have a flat hooded eye and never knew i could do a crease color until i got this shadow

4. obagi 20% vitamin c serum - after i started using this, people started telling me i glow

5. dermorganics argan oil shampoo and conditioner - my hair stopped falling out after i started using this. it's also sulfate free.

6. those little black hair elastics that sephora sells: before this, my hair elastics had a seam (even the 'seamless' ones) that would pull at my hair and yank some out whever i took the elastic out. with these, that never happens

7. using a fluffy brush to blend in concealer. before, i was just applying with a small brush or my fingers and the concealer would inevitable get wiped away.

reflectsgold

yes ive been buying those elastic for years. i mostly buy the brown ones though.

SydBristow

I'm interested in the Obagi line! Have you tried anything else?

ShinyMagpie

I did the whole Obagi Nu Derm system. That combined with retin-a took ten years off my skin. I still use several of their products -- cleanser, toner, exfoderm etc. If you decide to the the whole system be warned that you will shed like a snake for the first six weeks or so. A lot of people give up at that point and never see the really great results. If you can get yourself past that point you will see an amazing difference in your skin. 

SydBristow

Shed like a snake? Lol, well at least I've been warned. :smileyhappy:

ShinyMagpie

Yep. If you read other boards about Obagi it's the number one question: When will the peeling stop.

It contains a lot of chemical exfoliants and the products work together to fade spots and shed dead layers like you've never seen before. After I had been through the program I ran into somebody that hadn't seen me for six months and she about died. She and many others thought I had had some kind of surgery because my skin looked so amazing. 

ghkim

i havent tried any other obagi products but have heard that many of them are amazing.

Nicrohr

It might seem simple but a real ah-ha moment for me was to realize I could use LIGHT COLOR pearl/shimmer on my lids or as "liner" instead of dark.

Seriously, this was a revelation for me -- previously I kinda thought highlight colors were only for brow bone.

Now, I love to have that light-reflecting, wake up, glowy look on my lids and inner corners to brighten things up.

I get tons of compliments on this.

Also - i just started contouring lately and it was a revelation to me that this could look good and not super 80s, too :smileyvery-happy:.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 101 replies
  • 260 hearts
  • 47 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • adrutter
    • DTalksAll
    • mberteig
    • sephoramusthave
    • reflectsgold