SydBristow

Products and/or Techniques that Changed Your Makeup/Skincare/Haircare

I have a few things that have truly altered how I am able to apply makeup and wonder what other people's "ah ha" techniques or products might be.

For me, I watched a Youtube video (can't remember who it was) that was applying a creaseline shadow with her eye open - as I have hooded eyes this is probably obvious but I didn't know.  It has really opened up how my makeup is applied and looks.

Also, I got some really soft brushes and blend like a crazy person now, that has really made my look much more artful and made makeup draw attention to my features, as opposed to my makeup.  :smileyvery-happy:

Finally, a while ago I got the Urban Decay triple threat travel liner set.  I loved the liners so much I now own every color I want.  These liners have a huge variation of colors, matte or sparkle, and there are just so many things I can do with them. 

Also, interacting with all of the great people on BT has made me feel like my makeup obsession is ok and I have learned a lot about products, techniques, resources, and sales!!  :smileyvery-happy:

How about you?

Nicrohr

Re: Products and/or Techniques that Changed Your Makeup/Skincare/Haircare

Some examples:

upload_3658942397074269285.jpg

upload_612897177903015501.jpg

upload_5136100039838124312.jpg

upload_1980000211606373090.jpg

upload_4669483069259880457.jpg

least diverse pics ever, sorry ladies I was rushing

SydBristow

Oh awesome, really shows what you're talking about, thanks!!  :smileyvery-happy:

calamityjane85

Stila smudge stick in kitten works really well for me as a base for those inner corners where the eyes sometimes get watery. Then I put just a dab of shadow on top to set it. 

ghkim

it never occurred to me to use light liner - i am so trying this when i get home!

SydBristow

That is awesome!  It reminds me that face highlighters are one of my revelations too.  I got the Smashbox Masterclass Palette and ignored the three little squares of highlighters forever, then finally I did a Google search to see what I was supposed to do with them.  Using highlighter transforms my face.  If I'm running late I don't use it but it makes such a difference when I do!! :smileyvery-happy:

Tayvm

Beauty Blender for foundation application.

Real Techniques eye shadow blush for blending in concealer.

Setting powder to stop concealer creasing.

Filling in brows!  I never did a thing (other than tweezing) until last year.  What a difference!

SydBristow

Hi, Tayvm!  Maybe a dumb question (sorry!) - is setting powder like finishing powder, or is it different?  What brand do you use to keep your concealer from creasing?

Tayvm

And not a dumb question :smileyhappy:

Tayvm

I've been using the Tarte Smooth Operator Finishing powder.  There was a little combo of the concealer, a concealer brush, the maracuja oil and the powder back in the spring.  It was a tiny container but you use so little that I've barely made a dent.  I use a little under my eyes and anywhere else I would normally have creasing throughout the day (forehead lines, beside nose, dimple lines), applied with a flat brush.  I'm super oily and it works wonderfully.  I never leave the house without it :smileyhappy:

SydBristow

(0) Hearts

OMG I have that! I'm totally going to try it, thank you!!

dannyc

I use setting powder after a liquid foundation to set my makeup. 

Then after contouring & blush, I use a finishing powder (Guerlain meteorites) to give my skin a soft glow/ finish off the look. 

Kiki1517

I would have to agree with you on Youtube and quality brushes. As far as technique goes, I cannot get enough of Jaclyn Hill and Wayne Goss. If I were a starlet, that would be my dream team! 

Also learning the steps of primer-foundation-concealer-set. Even though it's so subtle, my face ends up less patchy, lasts longer, and actually conceals. Before I learned this I would apply concealer first and the work would be useless once I rubbed it out of place with my foundation.

Nicrohr

I agree about quality brushes/applicators!

Well, quality everything honestly -- I only bother with higher end make up these days and it shows.  My make up finishes are beautiful, the colors look "right", and they wear well overall.

Which is not to say you can't find good products that are cheap too here and there, but I just don't bother with that anymore and go for the good stuff -- doesn't hurt if it's luxe to see/use/enjoy as well!

SydBristow

Hi Kiki!  I know of Wayne but not Jaclyn, I will look her up!

calamityjane85

[ Edited ]

She is amazing, her latest contouring video has got me searching for a creme bronzing stick instead of powdered bronzer. 

SydBristow

Both the liquid and powder contouring videos are fantastic!

Kiki1517

Glad you are not disappointed :smileyhappy: I like that those two channels aren't filled with a bunch of sales pitches like most of the other channels who were sent the products from the company so I don't trust their advice/opinion. It's more about actual tips and tutorials because they are real makeup artists. 

reflectsgold

holy crap that countouring video was amazing!!! 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 101 replies
  • 260 hearts
  • 47 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • adrutter
    • dannyc
    • mberteig
    • sephoramusthave
    • reflectsgold