jojobe

Please check the SEARCH bar for your problem before posting.

Sorry. chances are 50 other people have asked the same question today. Odds are you will find an answer

candacebt

Re: Please check the SEARCH bar for your problem before posting.

Hi ladies! In the interest of keeping everyone in a positive mood (it is Friday, after all!), I am closing this thread. However I will say...

We LOVE newbies on BeautyTalk - our philosophy is the more the merrier (I also have that philosophy about nail polish, as you know)! Not everyone is going to use the search bar, and people will ask the same questions more than once, because we know beauty is different for everyone. That's why BeautyTalk exists! To ask questions and get advice and obsess over the latest products.

So I would ask that you all be patient and kind to newcomers, and if you happen to know of a great thread that goes into detail on a particular question that someone just posted about (because we know there are a ton of great threads), feel free to *politely* point them in that direction. That, by the way, is what the mods are here to do too. 

And now, I will do something that I do all of the time, which is point everyone in the direction of the Welcome Board. Please also feel free to post this link on threads to welcome our newcomers and help them get started.

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Welcome-Getting-Started/bd-p/Welcome

Thanks for continuing to make this a great community! 

Your friendly Community Manager,

Candace 

malday

I was thinking we could make a handy list of frequently asked questions/concerns that links to other popular threads. I've made a post about this, I hope you guys think it's a good idea and want to add on!

sp2001

also, why can't my pictures ever post BELOW my text?! Why Sephora, why why.

sp2001

upload_7042500833312192961.jpgupload_4348452466560250136.jpg@DeltaGammaGirl I find it ironic that you're bashing on people who make rude comments by.. making rude comments. Calling more active members trolls/trolling isn't very nice either.

Can't we all just get along?!

tracygirl64

I agree, I wish that everyone would just get along. I know there isn't any harm actually meant by either sides, please everyone, just hug it out! :heart:

jellybean917

Cry me a river, Dawson! Or I guess it'd be a creek?

mychoi

upload_7470117641363369118.gif

MK89

lol it would actually be terrifying to have that much coming out of your eyes! :smileyvery-happy:

DeltaGammaGirl

haha seriously? Does it really just ruin your day to see someone post a question that already been asked? Oh no, your life is ruined! Not everyone who gets on beauty talk gets on to troll on the site all day long. They want their question answered. Yeah, there are some questions that are extremely repetitive. But who cares. You don't have to reply with a rude comment or make an entire thread bashing people. It's just rude and immature. This isn't some secret society. It is a public forum.

Missie772

But... I need to link my six Beauty Insider accounts together. However will I be able to do it if I don't start a new thread??? :smileysad:

jojobe

To do that Missie772 you do have to ask a mod to do it. 

That one I get...sort of

Missie772

I get it too! :smileyhappy: I am sorry if that comment came off as offensive or hurt anyone feelings, I was just having some fun. Kind of an inside joke and I understand if it is a legitimate question that newcomers want answered.

Again, I am so sorry about my sometimes snarky comments than can come off wrong over the Internet! :smileyhappy: 

MicheleRan

I agree there are a lot of duplicate threads/questions, but I've noticed that on every forum I've ever seen.

My only question is - with beauty/makeup, new products are constantly coming out. So a thread about products from a year ago might not be up to date. Know what I mean?

jenjendoitagain

I completely agree with you. It is annoying at times.

But....I don't think that every newcomer is probably aware of the search thing or how to use it. I've noticed most of the new posts from "Special Guests" are young girls, like youuuung.  They may not know the ins & outs of forums or searchs...

I don't know.

Not that I'm taking up for anyone, but I know for a fact that a lot of people are not as knowledgeable with forums as most of us are.

I try to give most of the new people a break, until they learn how to use the forum. Most times they only have one question anyways, and then leave. Chances are if they like it, they're going to stick around and perhaps not post as many of the saaame questions we have a bazillion topics on.

I think all of us at some point are probably guilty of doing the same thing-posting something that has already been talked about. If we had to get technical, then shouldn't we just throw one big heart party and continue posting new names in there to celebrate said person? I'm sure a new person could say the same thing about heart parties.

kalex

It's one thing for someone to post asking about their skin type, haircare, or skincare recommendations because a lot of variables go into that (age, acne-prone, skincare goals etc) so those kind of repeat questions are understandable.  But asking, " I have blue eyes what colors look best on me?" is super annoying because you know 500 of the exact same question popped up when they typed it.

Plantgarden

Agree

jenjendoitagain

(0) Hearts

Thank you Plant. :smileyhappy:

xoxo

ChicDabbler

Agreed. It may be frustrating and tempting, but let's not poke fun or make snide comments when a newbie ask a legit question, even if it's been repeated a bazillion times. They are not trolls and how many of us read the forum rules when we get on anyways? Everybody is a newbie once, no need to make them feel left out just because they have not figured things out yet. I've got my feelings hurt and unintentionally hurt ppl's feeling too, so I prefer to give legit answers unless they are trolls.

Also, if you think that's annoying, try being a teacher. Teaching has really helped me learn the meaning of patience. =P

Heatoyos1

(0) Hearts

I'm a teacher, too. This situation reminds me of my philosophy: I might teach the same lesson every year for the rest of my teaching career, but I have to keep it fresh and new, because for that batch of students, they are learning it for the first time. 

lyndsey

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

As a fellow teacher, I totally 100% agree. So many times I want to yell I JUST EXPLAINED THAT. 

There are a few Tumblrs for this..

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 151 replies
  • 740 hearts
  • 39 in conversation
    • kalex
    • nikki
    • kenny
    • killahbabe
    • malday